Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock mustang pirelli's...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Default stock mustang pirelli's...?

What are most guys running after the original tires are worn down? I'm looking into some Nitto 555'sbut they don't seem to have the same tires size. What does the "P" stand for in P235/45/R17? What is the biggest tire you can run on the factory rim for the rears?
I would't mind bigger tires, but i don't want them to look funny and buldge out. Thanks, Jord
Old 07-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: stock mustang pirelli's...?

I want 275/50/R17 555s if Nitto would ever make them in that size. [&:]

Since I'm not lowered and have 17" rims odds are I'll have to replace my wheels or end up with monster truck tires or skateboard wheels.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

The 'P' in P235/45/17 stands for P-metric. It bascially means its a US sized tire as opposed to a European sized tire. Its not something we need to worry about. Generally what you want to do is fit the widest tire you can on your rims that is ~27 inch in diameter. These cars have come with different rim options so...I dont know which rims you have but Im assuming they are 17X8 (the most common size). The stock Pirelli tire for this rim is 235/55/17 with a diameter of ~27.2 inch. You could get the 255/50/ZR17 Nitto 555s and they would work just fine. Discounttire.com

The 555s have a large following. Personally I have not tried them but a lot of guys have and swear by them. Note that they are a summer oriented tire, since you are from Ontario they are probably not a good choice unless you do not drive the car in winter or they are going on a 2nd set of rims (in which case I would get 18' rims)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

I have the upgraded rims that came on the 05 GT's, not the bullet sytle but the double 5-spoke rims. I can't really afford new rims, soi think i will just be getting new tires. If i was getting new rims i would get 18's, maybe even 19's, but that is not an option. I do drive in the winter, but only when the roads clear up and are bare pavement, and since i'm moving to Calgary in a few months, the roads are clear almost all winter there. So you think i can run 255's? They would sit wider on the rim correct? Anyone have a picture of 255's on the stock OEN rim? Thanks, i'm new to all the tires and that, this is my first car, and the tires have been going down quick, especially the back one

Thanks for the replie.

Jord
Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 AM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

one thing to keep in mind, even though you may not drive in snow, the cold temps may not be compatible with the rubber formulation. The rubber could become hard as a rock and not bit into the road surface nearly as well in the cold as an all season or winter tire.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

My car is garaged in the winter, so I went with Toyo Proxes T1-R Summer

255/45/18 & 285/40/18

Old 07-03-2008, 04:16 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Actually, the 'P' stands for passenger. And since the cross section is measured in millimeters using the metric system, thats where the phrase "p-metric" comes from.All of this came about after the death of the bias ply.
Heavier tires used on 1-ton trucks have the designation "LT" infront of the size to indicate "light truck".

To get a wider tire on the stock rims and maintain the same diameter. 255/50/17 is what you need to find. There are some out there, but not very many.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Project Renegade
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

The 'P' in P235/45/17 stands for P-metric. It bascially means its a US sized tire as opposed to a European sized tire. Its not something we need to worry about. Generally what you want to do is fit the widest tire you can on your rims that is ~27 inch in diameter. These cars have come with different rim options so...I dont know which rims you have but Im assuming they are 17X8 (the most common size). The stock Pirelli tire for this rim is 235/55/17 with a diameter of ~27.2 inch. You could get the 255/50/ZR17 Nitto 555s and they would work just fine. Discounttire.com

The 555s have a large following. Personally I have not tried them but a lot of guys have and swear by them. Note that they are a summer oriented tire, since you are from Ontario they are probably not a good choice unless you do not drive the car in winter or they are going on a 2nd set of rims (in which case I would get 18' rims)
not to try to burst your bubble, but the "P" actually stands for passenger, as in this tire will fit most passenger vehicles, meaning that IT IS NOT A HIGH PERFORMANCE TIRE
Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Opps sorry the stock tire size is P235/55/R17....so what would be the best size to get something wider put on the stock ripm, without the tire "bubbling" out too much? P235 stands for the width of the tire?? And 55 stands for??...i know 17 stands for the size of the rim. Thanks.

Also anyone have any pictures of stock GT rims with bigger then factory tires on them? I'm looking for the wide stance look. Thanks, Jord
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea the 235 is the tire width. The 55 is the aspect ratio. It's 55% of the tire width. So a wider tire can have a smaller aspect ratio while having a wider tread and still mantain the tire height

Quick Reply: stock mustang pirelli's...?