Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW is amazing

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:58 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MGW is amazing

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

not to get off topic but how hard a job is swapping the tranny fluid?
Easer with the ****er out but using a 3-4 foot hose running through the shifter hole into the fill hole and "ONLY" using 3.3 quarts its a 10 min job. other wise there will be a mess to clean up. If you use a pump its a Pain in the a**.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:18 PM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: slvrstang2007

And no rubbing on the driveshaft? You have the stock DS?
Stock driveshaft, and no rubbing
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

7 turns out. I have about 7000 miles on the shifter now,it does gradually loose some of the notchy feeling, very smooth now. At this point my right hand is so use to the MGW that when I drive any other manual it feels sloppy and awkward. Truely an exceptional piece of hardware.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Yeah, I love mine too. I have it all the way out to the maximum number of turns and it is a bit notchy, I did change the bushing when George sent out the replacements. That did help quite a bit with the notchiness.

My only complaint is that the shifter block rubs against the shifter boot and it's worn several holes in the cheap stock boot. I'm going to have to replace mine with a good quality leather boot. I'll probably get the red line.

If you want to prolong having to change the shift boot, you may want to turn it inside out and put some duct tape on the inside of the boot where the shifter block rubs against it to reinforce the boot. Hopefully this will make it last longer.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:43 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

congrats man
Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Yeah, I love mine too. I have it all the way out to the maximum number of turns and it is a bit notchy, I did change the bushing when George sent out the replacements. That did help quite a bit with the notchiness.

My only complaint is that the shifter block rubs against the shifter boot and it's worn several holes in the cheap stock boot. I'm going to have to replace mine with a good quality leather boot. I'll probably get the red line.

If you want to prolong having to change the shift boot, you may want to turn it inside out and put some duct tape on the inside of the boot where the shifter block rubs against it to reinforce the boot. Hopefully this will make it last longer.
Hmmm, I hope thats not happening to mine. I have a redline boot and thus far no problem....but I guess I wouldn't even be aware of it until it rubbed all the way thru. I'll have to pull the boot up and examine the inside now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

I installed mine last Wed. Turned the block out 6 turns. Was a super easy upgrade and well worth the cost. I have put about 500 miles on it so far and I still get giddy when I shift it! It is, hands down, the best shifter and worthwhile mod out there.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

5.5 Turns out (mine faces the wrong direction fully seated) and handle at max height.
Smoother than stock 2007+ Shifter. However very positive (unlike 2005-2006 shifter).
Be aware the 1, 3 and 5 gear positions are at least 2' farther back and may require you to make some small changes.
I moved the whole seat back one inch and the seatback one click rearward.
This is an improvement as I no longer have to 'crowd' the clutch to have adequate reach.
It also adds additional head/helmet clearance.

Be aware if you order the 'gripper' ball for the shifter the texture is pretty aggressive and may chew on your hands a bit until you get used to it. You are not going to have it slipping in your hand though.

The Shifter is very overbuilt. Whoever designed it did not believe in 'good enough'.
Feels like working the bolt on a fine sporting rifle.

Other than the misques in the video (Shifter now comes with its own prelubed blue bushings instead of dust caps) and the statement of 12 turns out max in video (unlike still photo captions on the same disc and written instructions that state 10) the instructions are very good.

All the soft and hard dynomat, heatshield, and new rubber shifter boot are much appreciated.
The instructions on quieting a noisey E-Brake handle are also appreciated.
Overall it seems quieter and much better insulated than stock.

Ive only made 3 passes in anger (+ street driven for 1 week) but I have yet to miss a shift.
However I do have Prothane Mounts and CHE Trans Torque Limiters installed.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:42 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

can't wait to get mine
Old 07-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

Just ordered mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: MGW is amazing