Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW is amazing

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:24 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: MGW is amazing

i've been wanting one of these for awhile. you guys are making this very difficult on me
Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Yeah, I love mine too. I have it all the way out to the maximum number of turns and it is a bit notchy, I did change the bushing when George sent out the replacements. That did help quite a bit with the notchiness.

My only complaint is that the shifter block rubs against the shifter boot and it's worn several holes in the cheap stock boot. I'm going to have to replace mine with a good quality leather boot. I'll probably get the red line.

If you want to prolong having to change the shift boot, you may want to turn it inside out and put some duct tape on the inside of the boot where the shifter block rubs against it to reinforce the boot. Hopefully this will make it last longer.
Hmmm, I hope thats not happening to mine. I have a redline boot and thus far no problem....but I guess I wouldn't even be aware of it until it rubbed all the way thru. I'll have to pull the boot up and examine the inside now. Thanks for the heads up.

I've had the same problem with it rubbing the boot. I upgraded my boot to the one with the aluminum bezel around it and now IT'S getting a hole too. George does need to address this problem.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Dragon Stang
2nd Gear Member

RE: I've had the same problem with it rubbing the boot. I upgraded my boot to the one with the aluminum bezel around it and now IT'S getting a hole too. George does need to address this problem.

I don't know what the earlier version of the shifter had for the shift handle block, but, mine was the latest release and the block now has only 3 allen head screws, not 4 like the earlier model. Also, all the edges are nicely rounded over. I don't know if thats the case with the 4 bolt blocks but would like to know so I know what to expect.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Goldenpony

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

ORIGINAL: odiaz

Yeah, I love mine too. I have it all the way out to the maximum number of turns and it is a bit notchy, I did change the bushing when George sent out the replacements. That did help quite a bit with the notchiness.

My only complaint is that the shifter block rubs against the shifter boot and it's worn several holes in the cheap stock boot. I'm going to have to replace mine with a good quality leather boot. I'll probably get the red line.

If you want to prolong having to change the shift boot, you may want to turn it inside out and put some duct tape on the inside of the boot where the shifter block rubs against it to reinforce the boot. Hopefully this will make it last longer.
Hmmm, I hope thats not happening to mine. I have a redline boot and thus far no problem....but I guess I wouldn't even be aware of it until it rubbed all the way thru. I'll have to pull the boot up and examine the inside now. Thanks for the heads up.

I've had the same problem with it rubbing the boot. I upgraded my boot to the one with the aluminum bezel around it and now IT'S getting a hole too. George does need to address this problem.
Did you reverse the leather boot when installing?
ie What used to be the front is now the back.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Did you reverse the leather boot when installing?
ie What used to be the front is now the back.
That's one possibility, since the shift boot is not symetrical. The other thing is, if you have one of the earlier shifters, the block under the boot used to have smooth allen bolt heads on one side, and a slightly protruding nut on the other. The install directions had the nut side of the block installed to the drivers side. If you invert the block, so that the smooth bolt side of the block is installed to the drivers side, and the nut side of the block to the passenger side, it will not rub. Also, you can pivot the block on the main shift arm, skewed toward the passenger side, which helps keep the connecting bolts away from the drivers side. This also helps assure a great first to second gear shift as well.......Mine has been on since this shifter was released, and no rub thru problems here.....

Mike