Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Exhaust Shop in 30 min!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 AM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Default Going to Exhaust Shop in 30 min!

I'm going to be leaving for my local exhaust shop in less than 30 minutes, so I need some help. My exhaust set up is in my sig. The problem is that the right tip doesn't stick out as far as the left tip. Igot some advice on this forum to pull the midpipe out of the H pipe a little or to pull the muffler out of the midpipe a little. I told the exhaust shop owner and he said the hangers were all in place and he can't do that. He's going to look under the car and might heat some parts of the exhaust and stretch it a little. Is this a good idea?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default RE: Going to Exhaust Shop in 30 min!

i dont see any real damage to doing this, worst case scenario he puts a hole in it but nothing he shouldnt be able to fix. I mean, it is an exhaust shop, they probably have seen about everything.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Those types of fitment issues are typically resolved at the various clamp connections. The hangers have sufficient play to allow NOT having to bend or cut anything.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

Yeah this is when you loosen it all up and start moving everything around until it all fits right. Apparently whomever did it the first time didnt go through the trouble and with most peoples cars they wouldnt care. There should be enough play unless someone jacked up and cut something to short...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:37 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Ok I just got back. Apparently, the connection between the midpipe and H pipe on the right side just barely made it so there was no room to pull it out at all. Not even the 1/2" needed to even things up . They could have bent the midpipe at the point where it begins to go over the axle, but it wouldn't have been as good as just moving the pipe out a little. Also, there was a chance that my tips wouldn't be pointing straight then, so I decided to just leave it alone. It's about 1/2" difference and the only person who would notice is me, so I just let it go. One thingthat pissed me off was that theexhaust guy wouldn't shut up about how bad Borlas fit. If I had to do it again, I would still get the Stingers except I would get Borla midpipes and a GT H, that would probably have fit better.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i have to take mine in because the passenger side tip sits 1/2in lower than the drivers side. I notice it every time i look at it but most people would never think twice about it. Its just the annoyance of knowing its not perfect. I feel ya bud
Old 07-23-2008, 12:58 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

i have to take mine in because the passenger side tip sits 1/2in lower than the drivers side. I notice it every time i look at it but most people would never think twice about it. Its just the annoyance of knowing its not perfect. I feel ya bud
Yeah mine had the same problem. They just bent the hangers for me. As for my problem, I think I'll just try to move the left tipin instead of the right tip out.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

I have the exact same problem with my stingers. the passenger tip is about a 1/2 in lower than the drivers side. everytime I look at it, it makes me angry haha.
ORIGINAL: 5SPD07GT

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
ROCKET32

Mine is the same way...what made me feel a little better about it (even though it is still annoying) is that I stopped by a Ford dealership that had a brand new GT500 and its tips were more uneven than mine!i thought it was pretty crazy considering they had a brand new car sitting there with the tail pipes uneven like that. And trust me, it was noticeable, not anything that someone would have to be looking very closely to notice.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:03 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

My driver's side sticks out more than my passenger side. One of these days I'll get to fixing it but I'm so lazy...haha.

Quick Reply: Going to Exhaust Shop in 30 min!