Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential pinion seal leak ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 AM
sandmanstang

Default Differential pinion seal leak ??

Anyone else ever had a leak in their differential seal? I do in my 2005 GT Manual. I've looked it up and don't have the tools to do it myself. Anyone else have this work done? If so, how much and where (small shop, dealership..etc.)?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 07:29 AM
BudgetPlan1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Differential pinion seal leak ??

I've heard a dealer is around $100 for replacement
Old 07-26-2008, 12:39 AM
sandmanstang

The work is done and I really wish I would have had the tools to do this one. Took it to the local Ford dealership. $17 in parts. 1.5 hours of labor@ about $85 a hour. Comes out to a bill of $151 for a small leak in the differential. I kind of wish they wouldn't have put the $17 in parts on the bill...just give me my $151 bill and kiss my butt. Oh well,at least mylady's running again and I know the work was done right...I hope.

After this, I am pretty sure I'll be taking my car back to thesmall tire shop in the bad part of town instead of the Goodyear place that wanted to charge me 4 times the price to get my tires mounted. My tires may fall off, but at least the shaft will not come off the axle. Okay, i'm done, that's my rant to make up for the $151 I can't spend on tires. I guess I'll wait for another pay check...
Old 07-27-2008, 11:23 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

i know your car is an 05, but doesnt the 5 year power train warranty cover it?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 AM
SteveB_RET
1st Gear Member

Just had it done on my wife's 04 Mustang GT. I bought a 36K extended drivetrain warranty when I bought her car several months ago so it only ran me $50 to fix. The Bill was $169 from the dealer.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i too have a small leak in my differential seal. i noticed it when i took my car to get the camber bolts installed. i know ford wont cover mine though cause i have had gears and driveshaft installed. brakecheck actually told me they would re-seal it for $85 but it would cost more if i want to get royal purple put back in
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM
sandmanstang

ORIGINAL: doode

is that standard, because I know I had a 3 year warranty, but that is up now. They didn't mention that to me. I don't know if they were just trying to take my money or what. I wonder ifthere's a way I can get my money back if that's the case (if I haven't violated the warranty)
Old 07-28-2008, 09:27 AM
cavediver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandmanstang

is that standard, because I know I had a 3 year warranty, but that is up now. They didn't mention that to me. I don't know if they were just trying to take my money or what. I wonder ifthere's a way I can get my money back if that's the case (if I haven't violated the warranty)
I could be wrong but I don't believe that the 05's came with the 5-year 60,000 mile power train warranty. That started in 06 or 07 (my 07 has it). Even if it did i don't think a leaking pinion seal would qualify as a power train warranty item.

FWIW, installing a new pinion seal isn't difficult. I've done many over the years but you do need a puller and a little know-how. It takes me at leastan hour in my home garage so the 1-1/2 hours they charged you isn't completely unreasonable.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:53 AM
sandmanstang

ORIGINAL: cavediver

ORIGINAL: sandmanstang

I could be wrong but I don't believe that the 05's came with the 5-year 60,000 mile power train warranty. That started in 06 or 07 (my 07 has it). Even if it did i don't think a leaking pinion seal would qualify as a power train warranty item.

FWIW, installing a new pinion seal isn't difficult. I've done many over the years but you do need a puller and a little know-how. It takes me at leastan hour in my home garage so the 1-1/2 hours they charged you isn't completely unreasonable.
I know it isn't unreasonable. It just sucks I couldn't do it myself with the tools I have.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i doubt coverage is different in the USA vs Canada

but my 05 has 5 year 60k power train warranty...that much i know because ive had so much warranty work done already i had to ask and make sure