Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 10:20 PM
ripped camel
4th Gear Member

Default Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....

The 08 Gt was a 5spd, and was gray less than 50 miles on the odometer. I expected from how people constantly say they are so much faster than a new edge, for it to impress me in stock form. It didn't impress me at all, and quite frankly I felt like it was extremely slow for what it was. It felt like it had no torque at all! I don't get what all the excitement is about the S197's?

So after being disappointed about the GT, I tried the Saleen which was the lower supercharged version (425lbs/tq, 465bhp) and it was a little better. I was expecting to be wowed by it though, and again I wasn't. Sure it was faster than my car, but again it felt......different. I don't know how to explain it because although it is quicker, at some points it felt like it lacked a lot of torque. Maybe that's something to do with the supercharger? All I know is the C6 vette (coupe & ragtop) and the LS2 GTO (that had a full SLP dealer installed exhaust) that I test drove were MUCH faster!

I guess I'm surprised at the outcome of today's festivities. I was out contemplating upgrading to a newer stang, and quickly realised the grass is not greener on the other side.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:23 PM
devineju
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....

My buddy has a GTO also.. It is a beast.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
BolognaPony
2nd Gear Member

here comes the s197 internet tough guys in 3...2....1...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:30 PM
MrRogers
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

The 08 Gt was a 5spd, and was gray less than 50 miles on the odometer. I expected from how people constantly say they are so much faster than a new edge, for it to impress me in stock form. It didn't impress me at all, and quite frankly I felt like it was extremely slow for what it was. It felt like it had no torque at all! I don't get what all the excitement is about the S197's?

So after being disappointed about the GT, I tried the Saleen which was the lower supercharged version (425lbs/tq, 465bhp) and it was a little better. I was expecting to be wowed by it though, and again I wasn't. Sure it was faster than my car, but again it felt......different. I don't know how to explain it because although it is quicker, at some points it felt like it lacked a lot of torque. Maybe that's something to do with the supercharger? All I know is the C6 vette (coupe & ragtop) and the LS2 GTO (that had a full SLP dealer installed exhaust) that I test drove were MUCH faster!

I guess I'm surprised at the outcome of today's festivities. I was out contemplating upgrading to a newer stang, and quickly realised the grass is not greener on the other side.

When I first drove my C6 Z06, I thought was a bit slower than my C5 Z06. But then I started looking at the speedometer. I was doings speed that I would never thought of. The SOTP thing is very deceptive. Most high powercars have smooth and constant power delivery.. That Saleen is faster than you think it is.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:32 PM
pallidamors
Banned

you know you mention the gto. I went from an 03 mustang gt to an 04 m6 gto. The old mustang "felt" faster, but i know for a fact that the gto IS faster. The stang felt rugged and connected to the road. The gto feels like a bmw or something lol...
Old 07-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Sarge_13
4th Gear Member

The way the S197 and Saleen's suspensions are, yes you are right there is no major SOTP feel like in the older GT's. But watching the speedo in your GT vs the '08 you notice the difference. Even more so in the Saleen.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:40 PM
delstang05
1st Gear Member

The S197's do feel slower. I think it has to do with the overall size of the car and the feel of the interior. But like Mr. Rogers said, a car such as the S197 is more refined, but there's no doubt they haul. With a few mods, just like my mach, there in the 12's all day, no matter how slow they feel.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:44 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

As for the S197 GT I have two points...in reality they are probably both partly to blame for your lack of excitement.

The S197 has (At least FEELS to me, I don't know the specs) a much better suspension setup than the new edge. I was the same way, I knew the car had more power than my 2V, but I didn't realize how much more until I raced that Cobalt SS/SC, a race I expected to be close.

Your 2V is putting down 261 to the tire? Thats going to be very, very close to what the 3V is putting down stock. The 3V is going to weigh a few more pounds than even your vert...so why would you expect it to be noticeably more powerful?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrRogers

ORIGINAL: ripped camel

When I first drove my C6 Z06, I thought was a bit slower than my C5 Z06. But then I started looking at the speedometer. I was doings speed that I would never thought of. The SOTP thing is very deceptive. Most high powercars have smooth and constant power delivery.. That Saleen is faster than you think it is.
All of what you said + that numbing drive by wire. I said it once and I'll say it again, driving an S197 GT feels like ****ing with 3 condoms on...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 PM
94Blk5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

As for the S197 GT I have two points...in reality they are probably both partly to blame for your lack of excitement.

The S197 has (At least FEELS to me, I don't know the specs) a much better suspension setup than the new edge. I was the same way, I knew the car had more power than my 2V, but I didn't realize how much more until I raced that Cobalt SS/SC, a race I expected to be close.

Your 2V is putting down 261 to the tire? Thats going to be very, very close to what the 3V is putting down stock. The 3V is going to weigh a few more pounds than even your vert...so why would you expect it to be noticeably more powerful?
+1

Ripped: Your New Edge has about the same power, and more gear in a slightly lighter car. Those are some nice 2v numbers you are laying down, BTW.

Quick Reply: Test drove a Saleen & a 08 GT....