Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing passenger front seat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:37 AM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default Removing passenger front seat?

Just wondering if I take out my pass. front seat, and disconnect the airbag sensor. Will it make my airbag error lights stay on? I'm taking it out to go to the track?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing passenger front seat?

Yes, your airbag error light will be lit up on the dash.I'm not sure if this is true, but I was told that the vehicle won't start with the airbag disconnected because the car will detect an error in the restraint system. The only reason I found out this information is because I recovered my seats in custom leather and had to remove both front seats in order to do so. My local Ford tech told me to disconnect the battery before disconnecting the air bags and then do not start the car or turn the key on until the airbag was reconnected. I followed the directions and didn't have one single problem.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

The car will start with an air bag error. The car will start with the passanger fornt seat removed. At lease mine did. I got an 07 GT.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Ok so it should still start, but will it disable my driver seat airbag too, or just the passenger side airbag when I remove the pass. seat?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

The sensors are in each seat. So I would think not.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

According to a local Ford technician here disconnecting one airbag will disable the entire system. I was looking into that when I was trying to find custom leather that was sewn for the seat airbags and it was very hard to find. Therefore, I looked into disconnecting the seat airbags and that was when I was told by the tech that it would disable the entire system. Now, I don't know if this is true. He may have just been telling me this to discourage me not to mess with it because he proceeded to tell me that I would be liable if I sold the car and the new owner got in an accident and the airbags did not deploy. Just some info. to pass along to you.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

i'm going to be taking mine out this friday as well for the track... if something happens and it doesn't deploy, then i'm blaming you. haha
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Let me know what happens when that airbag lights goes off. I'm about to swap out my steering wheel and completely remove the airbag. I'd like to know if it causes any problems other than the light.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Ok I took it off, and disconected the bigger harness underneath the seat. For the yellow airbag sensor I left it connected and just pulled the little clips off of it to get it off the seat frame. No airbag light came on, so its all good. That seat is freaking heavy too, so it should help reduce weight a lot.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

40-45lbs I've heard?? When you're trying to yank something out of the inside of a car it can feel REALLY heavy.

Quick Reply: Removing passenger front seat?