Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink (non mirror) install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:55 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

Thanks mByers...

I appreciate your information. I have seen both of the threads that you have posted. Read them in detail. The thing I like about the high beam idea is that no one really knows that you have it. If your car is broken into, or stolen, the bad guys have your door opener and your car. Plus, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what those three buttons on your dash are for.

Since I have had my car stolen once, I wont make that mistake again. Stealth is better....
Just my 0.02$
Old 09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

Just as a note, the 2011s overhead console is a little more cluttered than previous models. Mine has the passenger airbag off light and also the microphones for the Sync. It's going to be tight, but I think I can trim enough out of the airbag light bracket to get the homelink installed. Will take some pictures and post when I get it done.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:34 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KutenStang
Just as a note, the 2011s overhead console is a little more cluttered than previous models. Mine has the passenger airbag off light and also the microphones for the Sync. It's going to be tight, but I think I can trim enough out of the airbag light bracket to get the homelink installed. Will take some pictures and post when I get it done.
They moved the Sync mic from the mirror to the console...and still don't offer a Homelink mirror?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM
asci01
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ResQman
Thanks mByers...

I appreciate your information. I have seen both of the threads that you have posted. Read them in detail. The thing I like about the high beam idea is that no one really knows that you have it. If your car is broken into, or stolen, the bad guys have your door opener and your car. Plus, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what those three buttons on your dash are for.

Since I have had my car stolen once, I wont make that mistake again. Stealth is better....
Just my 0.02$
You just have to make sure power to the homelink is only on when the engine is on. That's the way I had mine wired. Not hard to do and the safest way to have homelink in your car.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:15 AM
mbyers

...2011s overhead console... [has]...the microphones for the Sync...
Are you sure about that? My microphone is on top of the mirror. When you put up pics, can you also put up ones showing the microphones in the console?

In one of the other threads, there is a pic of homelink in a console that as the airbag light, so you should be fine.

I have remote start, so I'm not sure what added wiring that adds to the console.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:03 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mbyers
Are you sure about that? My microphone is on top of the mirror. When you put up pics, can you also put up ones showing the microphones in the console?

In one of the other threads, there is a pic of homelink in a console that as the airbag light, so you should be fine.

I have remote start, so I'm not sure what added wiring that adds to the console.
After pulling the console apart, I found that there is no way that the homelink will fit. I trimmed a few unnecessary pieces and found that it just will not fit. And yes, the microphones are in the console on the left and right front of it. Also, the passenger airbag light is in the front/center of the console. If it were not for the airbag light, it would fit. So, until I find a way to "rework" the airbag light so it is functional, yet more compact, I will not be able to put my homelink in the overhead console. Sorry, no pics, but if you have an '11 Mustang with Sync, pull it down and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: I may be able to fit the Homelink in yet if I trim down the power connector and solder the wires to the power leads. This should trim out another 1/2 inch or so inorder to fit the unit in. Will have to try it out and see.

Last edited by KutenStang; 09-12-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: May fit yet.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM
mbyers

yes, the microphones are in the console on the left and right front of it ... pull it down and you'll see what I mean.
I will do that (hopefully this weekend). I have a 'dome' on the top of my rearview mirror and, based on other threads, said that was the SYNC microphone.
Do you have a 'dome' on the top of your mirror?
What is the approx build date of your car (maybe they changed partway through the 11's)?

if I trim down the power connector and solder the wires to the power leads
That should work. There doesn't seem to be much in that area of the circuit board, and I think I read somewhere that someone did that.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:20 AM
nothing

those mic looking things on the right and left corner of the overhead console are sensors for the alarm system. if you wave your arm in the car with it armed it will detect the motion and the alarm will go off. the mic is on top of the mirror as others have said.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 AM
mbyers

Originally Posted by nothing
those ... are sensors for the alarm system
That makes sense; as SYNC in other cars has only one mic as well.
I have heard others say that with the alarm system, things are pretty packed in the overhead console; that helps explains why as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:15 AM
mbyers

Over the holidays I finally got around to installing this in my car. I spend more time trimming the HomeLink versus trimming the over console. I was able to get away with only drilling holes in the console. So all the factory plastic posts (on the 'inside' of the console) are untouched.

Quick Reply: Homelink (non mirror) install