Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog lights as daytime running lights.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

The company is actually web electrics. Good place but the DRL's they offer use the front turn signals. They are wired into the turn signal system to go on and off as the TS is activated. The way I did it, they are relays on. My cost was $4.00 for the relay and a few dollars for a couple feet of wire and connectors. Took me about 45 mins. I did locate the info off a site somewhere but have no idea where. Hopefully, in the am I can get the wire colors for you.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

OK, here is the way I wired my fog lights on my '07 GT Vert to be on any time the car is running, but still work as normal when the lights are off. This has been wired like this for around 10,000 mikes with no problems. Even goes to the dealer like this.

Yours may vary so I am not responsible for what you may do to your car.

Using a standard relay with 4 or 5 posts, this is what goes to each post:
#30---Full time 12 volt power
#87---Power out to fog lights
#86---Power switched thru ign.switch
#87---Power from park lights
5th post id not used. It would match to post #87, hot when relay activated.

Now, where I got those wires to tap into:

There are two main bundles of wires entering the power box. I will reference them front and rear according to the car.

#30---Rear inside corner of power distribution box under hood. Used an open CB plug or you could attach to the main power lead in the rear center.

#87---Rear harness, look for a tan/red stripe wire. This is power to both fog lights under normal conditions. This is where you tap into for the power coming out of the relay to power the lights.

#85---Rear harness, look for a black/red stripe wire. This is power from the park lights. It is used as a ground for the relay action. When the lights are off, it grounds the relay solenoid for the power to pass thru. When the park lights are on, power is supplied to both sides of the relay with no ground to activate the relay solenoid. This allows the fog lights to operate as normal when you have the cars lights on.

#86---Front harness, look for a red/yellow stripe wire. This is a switched power wire controlled thru the ign. switch. This supplies power to the relay solenoid for activation.

The fog lights are not on in the acc. position so you can listen to the radio without extra draw. There is a delay in the fogs shutting off when you shut off the switch. The negative of this setup is that with the key off and you turn on the park lights, the fogs also come on. This is where a manual switch would work good but I prefer the full automatic function. I never leave the car with the park lights on so it is no bother for me. If I did need to, it is real easy to disconnect the power under the hood. I mounted the relay close to the power distribution box to keep the wires short.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need more info. pcmljm@yahoo.com

Again, I am not responsible for damage done to your car because of this modification.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:57 PM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Followed the instructions here and wired up my 2006 Mustang GT and the fog lamps work exactly as described and now I am using them as DRL.
Thanks AzPete

lenko
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

hmmm I was going to ask a question about my lights, then I saw the date. Nevermind lol
Old 02-12-2017, 07:55 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I know this is a old post but since it came up, you don't have to wire anything up. Just go to the dealer and have the daytime running lights turned on in the cars computer. I was told Canadian models have this option turned on from the factory. When I bought my 05 it had the daytime running lights turned on, and I hated it. I went to the dealer and had them turned off for very little money.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:40 AM
lenko
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I know this is a old post but since it came up, you don't have to wire anything up. Just go to the dealer and have the daytime running lights turned on in the cars computer. I was told Canadian models have this option turned on from the factory. When I bought my 05 it had the daytime running lights turned on, and I hated it. I went to the dealer and had them turned off for very little money.
Actually I had them turned on in Montana when I bought the car new. Had to do this to import car into Canada. (p.s. saved $ 5500.00 back then by buying the car there). Shortly after, 2007, I added the GT500 front where the fog lamps are located down low on the bumper. Never did like the DRLs to be on the headlights, but wanted them to be on the lower bumper fog lamps. After turning the headlight DRLs off, I did wiring, like in this thread to make the fog Lamps come on when the car is started. Then, when I turn the lights on, the fogs go off, and they again can be controlled as normal with the switch. Have legal DRLs which are on the fog lamps exactly as I wanted. Most dealers in Canada will not turn DRLs off.
All it cost me was about 10 bucks for a relay and a bit of wiring.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:10 AM
SSBrian

This is what I plan on doing.