Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the purpose of the strut tower brace? iTs it functional?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

well, it has been awhile...Imo, the "brace" is for looks. I bought one from steeda a long time ago. it is recomended that if you take it back off to get new nuts and blue locktite.
i would save the money, imo......that's 100-150 dollars towards a wet kit.
2 cents
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I could tell a very small difference in mine when I put it on. I have the polished Granatelli STB. WELL WORTH THE MONEY! Well worth it because I paid $40 for a brand new one from a guy off Craigslist. Awesome deal. I wouldnt pay full price for one though. Extremely small difference if any for daily driving. Like everyone says; mostly cosmetic.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ffk_pennywise
I could tell a very small difference in mine when I put it on. I have the polished Granatelli STB. WELL WORTH THE MONEY! Well worth it because I paid $40 for a brand new one from a guy off Craigslist. Awesome deal. I wouldnt pay full price for one though. Extremely small difference if any for daily driving. Like everyone says; mostly cosmetic.
I will have to totally agree. I really didnt feel anything but it looks great over the engine and supercharger. It completes the package. I paid $60 at the dealer for the stock GT500 strut brace. Not a very fancy brace but it looks just fine, especially painted the car colr, and for the price, u cant go wrong.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

If you are on stock or soft suspension then it wont help as the suspension and bushings will flex far before the strut towers will
Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Verts, maybe if it does not have slotted mounting holes.
The CS from moss is stamped to match the strut towers
and would provide more stiffening (if they even do) than
one that just mounts with slotted holes and OEM strut
bearing bolts/nuts.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it does help it's little bit in hard turning, that would be in combo with a g-track bar, front swaybar braces, shock tower brace, watts link, welded dual triangulated chasis braces and anything else that reduces roll and counter roll. This is assuming you already have better springs, shock, struts, swaybars. Clearly nothing will ever replace the joy at the utter difference these 4 items made initially when I compared it to canyon driving in LA. Anyone that can't feel tha massive difference between stock and of these initial change outs isn't alive I guess.

What you feel is not the issue, it's what the combination does to help keep all the tires as much on the ground as possible in hard turns ie reducing sway as much as possible.

Try taking a long freeway on ramp as fast as possible barley staying on the pavement with the stock suspension, then with the changed out one, there is no comparison IMO. Erik
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
bigray327
2nd Gear Member

For those that think it doesn't do anything, consider this. When I put mine on, it didn't fit. I had to raise the front wheels off the ground to get the bolts to fit into the holes on the STB. Therefore, they move. If they move, there's chasis flex, and anything you can do to reduce that is good, IMHO.

Like with all suspension mods, it's a cumulative thing. They all add up.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigray327
For those that think it doesn't do anything, consider this. When I put mine on, it didn't fit. I had to raise the front wheels off the ground to get the bolts to fit into the holes on the STB. Therefore, they move. If they move, there's chasis flex, and anything you can do to reduce that is good, IMHO.

Like with all suspension mods, it's a cumulative thing. They all add up.
great point
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris07GT
I have the Ford Racing STB. No matter what anyone tells you, it's just for looks. It does look good though
+1 I'm a sucker, I got one! I knew it doesn't work, but it makes the engine compartment look nicer though!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Installed the Edelbrock on my vert and yes, I noticed the improvement in steering right away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the purpose of the strut tower brace? iTs it functional?