Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Jacking/Jack Stand points

Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Jacking/Jack Stand points

Just curious where do you place your Jackstands for the front of the S197? I'm looking to do my own O/R H install due to lack of shops that will do it.

Thanks in advance

Edit: I guess I should rephrase it; best placement of Jackstands w/o doing any frame damage (bending) but being safe and providing enough room to do the H pipe swap.

Thanks

Last edited by Twiztga; 09-20-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i don't know the preferred placement, but
i use the frame rails for supporting the
front of the vehicle
Old 09-21-2008, 10:04 AM
05_mustang
1st Gear Member

Here's the one I got from someone here when I did my duel exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Front Jacking/Jack Stand points-mustangjackpoints.jpg  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:09 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If you use common sense, no offense to the OP, and actually look under the car, you'll see that you don't have a million options...
Frame rails are a good spot, so is the engine cross member.
Other than that, you're wondering in failure land.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

This pic shows where I support my front and I also use an old rubber sanding pad from my drill duct-taped to my jack to prevent any damage.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info, bought the car used so I probably should get a new owner's manual though a quick google search says it shows the wrong points as well. I'm going to try the rhino ramps I have for now since I'm not going to have to take the wheels off.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Twiztga
2nd Gear Member

Ok, Ramps are not enough... however I was able to get my hydraulic floor jack up under the car with it on the ramps. Then I just jacked it up about another 3" over the ramps I needed and put the jackstands under the frame.

My original problem was I couldn't get the jack under there far enough w/o hitting (maybe its just this cheap walmart floor jack) but w/ the ramps I had no problem and I feel a little safer with the rear wheels chocked and the ramps under there if needed.

Thanks for that diagram, I didn't want to try to jack it at the "change a tire" point as it looks like it would bend that pinch point. I may have to jack it another 1" or so but hopefully I've got enough clearance to reach the midpipe.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If you use common sense, no offense to the OP, and actually look under the car, you'll see that you don't have a million options...
Frame rails are a good spot, so is the engine cross member.
Other than that, you're wondering in failure land.
There are no frame rails under tihs unibody car. I'm OK with using the rear axle. But I've not found anyting I'm comfortable with on the front.

I tried doing what's in the picture above in this thread. My jack stand don't give me a comfortable fit there. That front cross memeber lies across the jack stand's "fingertips". Doesn't fit flat into the c-shape on top of the jack stands. It might very well work, but I was too scared to try it.

I've got some ramps, but the car is too low to drive on to them. I've not found a jack point yet to lift the car high enough to push the stands under the tires. When the car lifts up, the suspension relaxes (leaving a lot more front fender gap than when at rest on the ground). I've not found a place that jacks up the wheel directly. I'd sure as heck feel a lot better if I could get my ramps under the wheels.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:00 PM
volcomchester18
3rd Gear Member

^^^ There IS a frame rail, that is one point I used to hoist mustangs up on a lift at work (For the front only). And I woudl also lift them up using the lip on the sides (used to jack cars up with stock jack). It is pretty clear under the car, what spots are reinforced for lifting. The safest if you dont know is the stock jack lift points, you wont go wrong with them if your not sure.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

All uni body cars have frame rails... not a full frame that separates, like the old days.
Don't have pics of the crossmember but clear ones of the rails...

Anyway, you could always use small pieces of wood to put between the stands and the car if you're afraid of slippage.
If you're still not comfortable, then the ramps will do... if you're not lowered.

Last edited by pascal; 10-04-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front Jacking/Jack Stand points