Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb here - Question about quality

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
shortbus1981

Default Newb here - Question about quality

I want to preface this by saying if I posted this in the wrong section I apologize and please feel free to move it into the correct one.

With that said, I am considering getting an 06-08 GT. However I am curious about the build quality and reliability of the Mustang. I have never once owned a domestic car and in fact vowed I never would. However I do see that domestics are finally getting better at what they do. I am used to driving the likes of Honda, Nissan, Lexus and so forth. I currently own an 07 Lexus IS250 (after owning an 04 Nissan 350Z that some housewife in a minivan decided to destroy). I like the Lex, but I am a performace car guy at heart. I have always liked the new Mustang design and love the way they sound, especially with Cervini pipes.

SO, my question is this.....how well are the Stangs built? What sort of common problems are there? I know forums are a valuable place to get info like this so I truly appreciate any info you guys and gals may be able to provide me before I rush out and get one. I know the Mustang is getting a refresh soon, I have seen the many spy photos and it looks good. However as a result of the new one coming I know I could get a very good deal on a current model. So please if you could give me some info as to the quality of this car I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

-Jason
Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Hey Jason...

On thing to know is that a mustang is a MUSTANG. Its a Muscle/Pony car that is built to be driven and enjoyed. Now there are a few qwirks about the car, but I cant speak personally about them because my expierence (up to a month ago) was with the V6.

Maybe someone can chime in on the little things about the GT that I havent expierenced yet...
Old 09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Learn it yourself. I'm done.

Last edited by BruceH; 11-13-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

so far the only problem i've had is that about a week ago i started to get a faint rattle when i have Max A/C on, i think it's just a loose screw somewhere, but who knows. if the radio is on at all, i don't notice it. other than that, i've had 0 problems.

one quirk would be that on some of the '05 models, they messed up somehow on the gas tank where when you try and fill up the gas pump keeps clicking off. easy fix though, just put the nozzle in upside down and no more problem. sometimes people give me funny looks, but it's part of the character... doesn't bother me at all. also you're looking at '06+ so it won't be an issue to my knowledge.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
one quirk would be that on some of the '05 models, they messed up somehow on the gas tank where when you try and fill up the gas pump keeps clicking off. easy fix though, just put the nozzle in upside down and no more problem. sometimes people give me funny looks, but it's part of the character... doesn't bother me at all. also you're looking at '06+ so it won't be an issue to my knowledge.
My '08 has the same stupid issue. There is a TSB out for dealer repair though...I'm just too lazy.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

i love my 08 GT.. i've had no problems, but i just hit 6k miles today so its still quite new.. only problem i had was that recall about the passenger side airbag, but that was fixed immediately
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

The fit and finish overall is great, there are little things that make me made (center console bleaches out) but it's nothing hard or expensive to fix. It's just a fun car
Old 09-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

For the money and intended purpose its a great car. Handles well, plenty of power for most users. Paint is excellent. Body parts fitment is excellent. Interior is kind of cheap but comparable to others in its price range. Leather package is pretty weak. The ride will probably be more firm than the lexus. Being a rear drive with a solid axle the handling is going to feel very different, you will get use to it and grow to love it. They stink in snow if thats a concern. There a few recalls and TSBs out but nothing much really. They have proven to be reliable with few maintenance problems. Back seat has virtually no room, its only useful for a small child or storage. Trunk is decent size and you can lay the back seat down to extend it. If you are in to modding the car the aftermarket is humongo! Its a do everything car - drag racing, road racing, autoX, cruising, shows, you name it, the car is competent in all areas except snow/ice and hauling more than 2 adults around.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM
EMichael
3rd Gear Member

about your last part, i've fit 4 (and possibly actually 5) adults in the car fine.. all 3 passengers being 6'+..

Originally Posted by Argonaut
For the money and intended purpose its a great car. Handles well, plenty of power for most users. Paint is excellent. Body parts fitment is excellent. Interior is kind of cheap but comparable to others in its price range. Leather package is pretty weak. The ride will probably be more firm than the lexus. Being a rear drive with a solid axle the handling is going to feel very different, you will get use to it and grow to love it. They stink in snow if thats a concern. There a few recalls and TSBs out but nothing much really. They have proven to be reliable with few maintenance problems. Back seat has virtually no room, its only useful for a small child or storage. Trunk is decent size and you can lay the back seat down to extend it. If you are in to modding the car the aftermarket is humongo! Its a do everything car - drag racing, road racing, autoX, cruising, shows, you name it, the car is competent in all areas except snow/ice and hauling more than 2 adults around.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Best deal for the Buck.
Simple as that!

Quick Reply: Newb here - Question about quality