Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM VS. AFTERMARKET HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I have the Retro-Solutions HID kit , 35Watt, 6000K, dual beam, and I love it. Never been flashed in almost a year.
have any pics, been thinking about getting the same kit
Old 10-08-2008, 02:06 PM
GTStang07
2nd Gear Member

I think I am going to go with retro-solutions but what would be a better option 35w or the 55w for the 6k they offer? Please if anyone has pics please show!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:09 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

I've heard a lot of people say to just go ahead and get the 55w
Old 10-08-2008, 02:29 PM
jlugo_70
1st Gear Member

can you add the HID bulbs to the halo headlights?
Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Have to call them on that one, don't see why not but it's better to find out, and let us know!
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 PM
buffguy
2nd Gear Member

I have had aftermarket HIDs before and the difference between those and the OEM ones are that with OEM HID you get a better high Beam. With aftermarket HIDs you do not have true high beams, because the bulb either moves up or down to create the high beam or the bulb moves in and out slightly. OEM hids have a little plastic cover above the light bulb to block out most of the light from reflect off the top portion of the reflectors ( so you don't create high beam Light). When the plastic cover retracts, light is reveal and reflects of the top portion of the reflectors creating the high beam. With aftermarket HIDs, there is no mechanism blocking the top portions of the bulb so hence you have light that are reflecting at the bottom and top porton. With aftermarket HID's you pretty much have the highbeam on the whole time therefore you have more light output compared to the OEM HID. The high beam in aftermarket HID are hardly noticeable compare to the lowbeam. Also, my speculation is that most aftermarket HID uses 55watt ballast, so that might be a reason as to why they are brighter than the stock 35 watts.

Those with the aftermarket HID can test this out with their lights. First look at the low beam light at a wall, then activate the high beam. The light output is the same except the light just moved up alittle. With the high beam activated, there is not more light being outputted but instead the light just shifted up slightly creating the illusion you just created high beam.

This is just my observation after owning and testing both type of HIDS. So please don't criticize me. Before when I had my aftermarket HID, signs from 2-3 blocks away would be illuminated by my lights. I realize that my aftermarket HID were like on high beam that's how the light was able to be emitted that far. The reason for highbeams is so that you can see further away and with aftermarket HIDs, highbeam is on 100% of the time.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
07MustangGT_girl
2nd Gear Member

here's what I got:

(this was before I got the HID fog lights!)

sorry the pictures are huge!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by buffguy
I have had aftermarket HIDs before and the difference between those and the OEM ones are that with OEM HID you get a better high Beam. With aftermarket HIDs you do not have true high beams, because the bulb either moves up or down to create the high beam or the bulb moves in and out slightly. OEM hids have a little plastic cover above the light bulb to block out most of the light from reflect off the top portion of the reflectors ( so you don't create high beam Light). When the plastic cover retracts, light is reveal and reflects of the top portion of the reflectors creating the high beam. With aftermarket HIDs, there is no mechanism blocking the top portions of the bulb so hence you have light that are reflecting at the bottom and top porton. With aftermarket HID's you pretty much have the highbeam on the whole time therefore you have more light output compared to the OEM HID. The high beam in aftermarket HID are hardly noticeable compare to the lowbeam. Also, my speculation is that most aftermarket HID uses 55watt ballast, so that might be a reason as to why they are brighter than the stock 35 watts.

Those with the aftermarket HID can test this out with their lights. First look at the low beam light at a wall, then activate the high beam. The light output is the same except the light just moved up alittle. With the high beam activated, there is not more light being outputted but instead the light just shifted up slightly creating the illusion you just created high beam.

This is just my observation after owning and testing both type of HIDS. So please don't criticize me. Before when I had my aftermarket HID, signs from 2-3 blocks away would be illuminated by my lights. I realize that my aftermarket HID were like on high beam that's how the light was able to be emitted that far. The reason for highbeams is so that you can see further away and with aftermarket HIDs, highbeam is on 100% of the time.

Summed it up pretty nicely.