Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ghost Flames Yes/No???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

not a big fan of flames on a stang. just my opinion
Old 11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
StangHarley
1st Gear Member

Ghost flames are a really nice touch. I've noticed more than a couple Harley Davidsons and a few cars with 'em. Just make sure your painter knows what you want and what they're doing. Maybe ask for references/photos. I think white would look better than silver.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:07 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I say no. Just MO. That said, I'd be curious to see an all-out translucent flame job on a mustang. Would be cool. Maybe not for a DD.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:07 AM
nkbearsnk

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I have some on mine. They aren't exactly what you are describing, but close. They would be more subtle on windveil probably. I got them at dansdecals.com. Mine are style #2, installed upside down.

Thread w/pics:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/members-rides-and-car-show-section/494522-check-out-my-flames.html
Mudflap,

I checked out the site you bought the flames from and I really like the hood Flames. How hard was it to put the flames on the car?

Your ride looks sweet by the way. I have an '05 Black GT and think adding Flames would really make the car stand out in a unique way.

Thanks brother.

NK
Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

If your paint guy can get the effect you are describing, it would look great, do it.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

if it's painted i think it will look pretty decent
Old 11-05-2008, 07:19 AM
it3vom
1st Gear Member

Do it!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:27 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I like the transparent pearl.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:27 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

Flames rock on any car. Go for it.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nkbearsnk
Mudflap,

I checked out the site you bought the flames from and I really like the hood Flames. How hard was it to put the flames on the car?

Your ride looks sweet by the way. I have an '05 Black GT and think adding Flames would really make the car stand out in a unique way.

Thanks brother.

NK
Thanks! Installation wasn't too hard, but I have done quite a bit of vinyl and even clearbras myself before. Dan also has "shadow vinyl", which does the opposite btw. It wouldn't work on a black car, but on most any other color it would give a darker tint to the flames as its also semi-transparent.

The materials were good quality. I've bought from Dan years ago, and he's a good dude. I've done painted-on details on cars in the past, and downfall is if you change your mind, its a couple grand to undo it. If you get high quality vinyl, it looks good, lasts a long time if you take care of it, and you can peel it off someday if you wish. Therefore, I prefer vinyl for stuff like this. Not to mention, I paid only $56 for those flames.

The flames showed up with a clear transfer paper that looked nice and all, but the decal wouldn't stick to it to save its life. When I peeled it up the decal remained stuck to the backing paper. I nearly gave up, but then decided to free-form it. I turned the decal over, and managed to peel up the backing paper while holding the decal against the transfer paper. I was left with a wrinkly looking decal laying on top of the transfer paper basically. Just NEVER let an un-wetted portion of the sticky side of the decal stick to itself!!! If I had another person with me, I'd have armed him/her with the spray bottle while I was peeling away to reduce the chances of that happening. I was careful and pulled it off though.

Once I had the white backing paper off, I doused the whole thing with wetting solution (water in a spray bottle with 1 drop of dawn original soap), then doused the side of the car, and plopped it on. I then carefully pulled away the transfer paper, leaving the decal only stuck to the car. Of course it looked like hell at this point, so I kept the surface very wet and just started manipulating it by hand until it was positioned correctly. You can easily peel the decal up as long as its wet on the sticky side, just take great care.

Once I had the decal roughly positioned where I wanted it (not perfect yet), I then GENTLY worked the solution out from under the decal with the provided squeegee, taking care not to damage the vinyl, at the front to get it to stick to the car so I could begin working my way back without the whole thing moving around. I then worked on each flame section making sure it was laying perfectly, then came around another time and started working the solution out with the squeegee and my finger. Keep a microfiber towel handy to gently blot the solution up as you get it out (so it doesn't go back under the vinyl.

All in all, it really didn't take that long, and came out perfect. Just take your time, be careful, patient, and don't give up. The one thing I've learned about this stuff, is don't give up if you think you screwed up! Its not over til its over. I've salvaged some vinyl that I thought was doomed in the past with a little manipulation and ingenuity. You WILL have some small bubbles left here and there when you're finished. They will likely evaporate over a couple days. Parking in the sun for a few hours helps. Any large bubbles you can ***** with a pin or razor blade and work the solution out gently. I didn't have to do that this time though...

For the install you'll need:

- Squeegee provided by Dan, or one of your own
- A new razor blade
- A soft towel, microfiber preferred
- A CLEAN car (don't forget to clean inside the door jambs where you'll fold the vinyl edges into)

I am considering the hood flames as well, but I don't want to over-do it either. Still thinking...

Last edited by Mudflap; 11-05-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Ghost Flames Yes/No???