Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes 409 Axle-back?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:58 PM
atldave
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by navyboy12807
Im sorry I have pypes exhaust system and yea it sounds great but the product blows i have an 08 gt always went with flowmaster and was strapped for cash and went with pypes and 10 months later, the brackets are breaking off the muffler and the x-pipe. They rusted really quick i would recommend going some where else and stay away from pypes! i also had to relocate one of the O2 sensors!
Thanks, Navyboy, this is exactly the kind of feedback I was trying to get. After researching in this forum, I've decided to put on a single GT take-off.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
navyboy12807

No problem, I now have to go out and buy another exhaust system to replace the pypes set up. It suxs that the company dont back there product. They apparently dont use a good product that would be why its so cheap. I know flowmaster are more expensive but i learned a lesson stick to stuff you know works and when it comes to mustang performance dont buy the cheap stuff it only cost you more money in the end!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:17 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I have had my Violators over a year with no issues you described, but I live in FL so there is no salt on the roads. Also since I new they were 409 Stainless i painted them with exhaust paint so no rust. I did have to cut and reweld the passenger side hanger, but for the money i am happy.

I just put on a Pypes H pype and once my exhaust guy welds all the seams I will be painting that one too. Just my 2 cents.

But I still agree a GT take off is your best bet.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM
9t8z28

Originally Posted by navyboy12807
No problem, I now have to go out and buy another exhaust system to replace the pypes set up. It suxs that the company dont back there product. They apparently dont use a good product that would be why its so cheap. I know flowmaster are more expensive but i learned a lesson stick to stuff you know works and when it comes to mustang performance dont buy the cheap stuff it only cost you more money in the end!
Did you contact Pypes because I doubt that they would not stand behind there products. It sounds to me like you had it mounted under to much tension or possibly it was defective. After you call Pypes and speak to Brandon, come on here and post your results, and I am sure that you will be more than satisfied. They may even install them for free since you are local to them.

Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-12-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 AM
9t8z28

Originally Posted by MustangGT0405
I have had my Violators over a year with no issues you described, but I live in FL so there is no salt on the roads. Also since I new they were 409 Stainless i painted them with exhaust paint so no rust. I did have to cut and reweld the passenger side hanger, but for the money i am happy.

I just put on a Pypes H pype and once my exhaust guy welds all the seams I will be painting that one too. Just my 2 cents.

But I still agree a GT take off is your best bet.
Why did you cut and reweld the hanger?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

I did it because no matter what I did I could not get the tip mounted in the center of the cut out. I could have done a bunch of trial and error with bending and mounting but I had a welder handy so I just cut the hanger while it was on the car and rewelded it straight. Now the mufflers are symetrical.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
9t8z28

I did it because no matter what I did I could not get the tip mounted in the center of the cut out. I could have done a bunch of trial and error with bending and mounting but I had a welder handy so I just cut the hanger while it was on the car and rewelded it straight. Now the mufflers are symetrical.
How far off was the tip from the cutout?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

It was on the passenger side exhaust. It was about an inch lower than the driver side and far over to the left. It was almost touching the bumper. Took less than 15 mins to fix, and that includes setting up the welder and putting it away.

I have heard many people have the same problem.

You seem to work at pypes or are at least friendly with them. In that case I have 2 more complaints.

1. is the rear most hangers are too long on both mufflers. I had to cut 1" off both so they wouldnt hit.

2. My pypes O/R H the bungs were welded way to hot and there is slag in the threads. I had to hit them with a tap to clear them out but they still chewed up my O2's. I will probably end up welding in my own bung for my wideband so I dont mess up the sensor.

I never called to complain or anything because I expect to have some work when I buy cheaper stuff. None of it was that hard, but quality control could be better.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:45 PM
9t8z28

It was on the passenger side exhaust. It was about an inch lower than the driver side and far over to the left. It was almost touching the bumper. Took less than 15 mins to fix, and that includes setting up the welder and putting it away.

I have heard many people have the same problem.

You seem to work at pypes or are at least friendly with them. In that case I have 2 more complaints.

1. is the rear most hangers are too long on both mufflers. I had to cut 1" off both so they wouldnt hit.

2. My pypes O/R H the bungs were welded way to hot and there is slag in the threads. I had to hit them with a tap to clear them out but they still chewed up my O2's. I will probably end up welding in my own bung for my wideband so I dont mess up the sensor.

I never called to complain or anything because I expect to have some work when I buy cheaper stuff. None of it was that hard, but quality control could be better.
I know exactly what the problem is. I have had to deal with this issue many times. The problem is that YOU DID NOT install the hangers the same way they came off. YES, it is possible to install the hangers backwards and therefore the tips will be off center and hang to low. Our directions state that they must be installed the SAME WAY THEY CAME OFF. You made a modification to this system that was not required. It is also possible that you have one of the rare cars that came through with different muffler hangers, which I don't know why Ford decided to do this.

As far as the wire form being to long, well, then IMHO, you did not like how far the tip was under the bumper cutout. If the muffler was forced in this position, then all you would need to do to correct it was to loosen the butt-connect clamps and slide the midpipes forward. This was also discussed in our directions.

If there is an issue with the downpipe or X-pipe, you should give Pypes a call.

Last edited by 9t8z28; 11-13-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:04 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I know exactly what the problem is. I have had to deal with this issue many times. The problem is that YOU DID NOT install the hangers the same way they came off. YES, it is possible to install the hangers backwards and therefore the tips will be off center and hang to low. Our directions state that they must be installed the SAME WAY THEY CAME OFF. You made a modification to this system that was not required. It is also possible that you have one of the rare cars that came through with different muffler hangers, which I don't know why Ford decided to do this.

As far as the wire form being to long, well, then IMHO, you did not like how far the tip was under the bumper cutout. If the muffler was forced in this position, then all you would need to do to correct it was to loosen the butt-connect clamps and slide the midpipes forward. This was also discussed in our directions.

If there is an issue with the downpipe or X-pipe, you should give Pypes a call.

Hey man, dont know if it is just the way I was reading it, but I was not the one complaining or trying to be a jerk. If you read up there you asked me a ? and I answered you. I have been working on cars a while and know how to read directions. Short story is for my car I had to make the adjustments above to make the axle back fit. Unless you were in my driveway with me when I did it, basically assuming I did it wrong is unfair, and even if I did they fit perfect now and I am happy.

As far as the H-pipe O2 bungs, this is also something I had heard of from others before I bought the pipe. I was ok with it, becuase I dont mind tinkering with stuff to fix it myself.

I only call the OEM if there is a big problem. Minor tweaking on a $120 H pipe is no biggie to me. If I paid $600+ you would have heard from me.

Honestly I have bought Pypes Violators, Pypes O/R H, and Pypes High flow cats.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not intend for your post to be condescending and let it go, because I am sure you would hate to **** off a repeat customer.

Quick Reply: Pypes 409 Axle-back?