Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Question

Old 11-08-2008, 08:34 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Default Exhaust Question

I just added an o/r H pipe to my car. I got the H part welded and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. Had it being revved a little bit on a lift and everything seemed sealed from the headers to the tips out back. I have the old MotoBlue RS Axlebacks from RPM Outlet a while ago. Before I added my o/r pipe, the drivers side one would pop and rattle while it was cold, then everything sounded perfect once it warmed up. Had many compliments on it about how great it sounded. Now, with the o/r H pipe, it sounds deep and loud at low rpms (under 3200) and then gets very raspy/poppy above that.
So my question is could this be a blown muffler or just poor muffler design? I went with an H pipe because I didn't want any raspiness. Any help here would be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:18 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

does your h have cats????if not, enjoy the raspiness from hell....also, check all the welds to make sure that they are not letting exhaust out...a simpls way is to "spray" some water over the weld and listen for a whistle(not good).....imo, doubt that there is a muffler problem
Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

No, the cats are gone now. But I didn't think the H pipe would be raspy. I always read and thought the X pipe was the raspy one. Also, I think it is my muffler because it sounds like metal is rolling around in there. Also, its only on the drivers side. All the welds are good though. Did the water trick while it was on the lift.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:32 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

The H is still raspy. The X is MORE raspy but any time you remove the cats on the 3V, raspyness seems to be an inherent part of it. Idk if your mufflers are chambered or not but I know with the chambered flows, mine sounds like that, raspy and poppy. It also has to due with the location of the mufflers. Our cars have no piping after the mufflers for the sound to resonate through. If you want to get rid of it, resonators, high flow cats or a mid-muffler setup seem to be the cure. For mid muffs you can go pypes(same as resonators) or a setup like----1morepart---- has. Any questions about that shoot them his way
Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

thanks vistagt,,,,yes i have videos of the mid mounted flowmasters install on youtube.....name is 08s197 check the vids out if you are interested in an o/r h without raspiness!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 09:01 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Cool. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe I'll look into having some small resonators installed.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:22 PM
kingdong6515
1st Gear Member

Or you can look at some other systems. It's all about the total exhaust package from block back. Some mufflers are more prone to raspy sounds, some mid pipes are, furthermore certain combos are even more/less raspy. And location of each also affects sound - but this can be overcome. I have an O/R Prochamber and Flowmasters - no raspiness. The Prochamber allows for a certain amount of resonation. Just another option....
Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingdong6515
Or you can look at some other systems. It's all about the total exhaust package from block back. Some mufflers are more prone to raspy sounds, some mid pipes are, furthermore certain combos are even more/less raspy. And location of each also affects sound - but this can be overcome. I have an O/R Prochamber and Flowmasters - no raspiness. The Prochamber allows for a certain amount of resonation. Just another option....
Okay, thanks. Might have to look into that option.