Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing My Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:18 PM
smashedpumpkins

Default Towing My Mustang

Okay I'm towing my Mustang 1100 miles from Idaho to California. I have a couple options. A Tow Dolly is $228, Auto Transport is $457, and a Tow Bar. The Auto Transport is way too much and not worth it. The Tow Bar I can buy for $150. The Cheapest option.

So it's between the Tow Dolly and the Tow Bar. If I tow with the Tow Dolly I'm going to tow it with the rear wheels up on the dolly to avoid disconnecting the drive shaft. (I don't even know where to begin to do this) Now I was told somewhere else that you should NOT lock the steering wheel. He said to put the key in and turn it just slightly to unlock the steering. Is this correct?

Now the cheapest root is the Tow Bar. However this would require me to disconnect the drive shaft.

Also how does the Mustang add miles to the odometer. Is it with the rear or front wheels?

Thanks guys! I'm looking for any advice on what I should do. Recommendations, Warnings, etc...!
Old 11-09-2008, 01:34 PM
dunebuggydude11
3rd Gear Member

personally i have no idea, but i would either go with a auto transport, or a flat trailer. those would seem like the safest means to transport it as well as the easiest. i would just spend a little more and get a flatbed trailer to tow your stang on. that way you dont have to worry about disconnecting the d/s or mileage. jmo
Old 11-09-2008, 01:57 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I agree with the above... go with a flat trailer to protect your car a little better. It really isn't that much more to rent a trailer....

Old 11-09-2008, 02:13 PM
smashedpumpkins

True, I see how amazingly easy the Auto Transport would be, but it's twice as much as the dolly and I want to see my options.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:46 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

Spend the extra cash to lessen the headache.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
smashedpumpkins

Here's what a guy said to me "You can tow with the rear wheels up, however its not recommended. You do not lock the steering wheel, because if you do that you'll end up with a broken steering column lock. Those locks are not made to withstand the stress of towing. Its always best to tow with the front end up."

Others have said make sure to lock it or you'll fish tail around.

Anyone with experience know for sure here what to do?
Old 11-10-2008, 04:15 PM
dunebuggydude11
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rydeordie
Spend the extra cash to lessen the headache.
like ry said, just spend the extra cash. it will make your life easier and will ensure that you dont damage your stang. it will be worth it overall. if the guy said tow with the front up, then do that. he would know what he is talking about
Old 11-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I would never put my stang on a tow dolly, if i broke down and the tow guys came with tow dolly, id rent a trailer and get my mum to tow it with her Tahoe.

Ive heard horror storys towing it from the front and the back, id strongly advise putting her on a full trailer!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Good point Lethal...

Tow Dollies aren't a good idea for long distance because they're not to be trusted above 50mph.
In addition, on rough roads, they'll just wonder around like a sweep on the road.
Not good.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Seabee
2nd Gear Member

im about to move from louisiana to oregon and im using a full trailer from penske to tow with the 24ft truck im renting as well. id rather have it on a trailer then worry about the driveshaft, or the rear end swaying around, just my opinion. go with a full transport trailer.

Quick Reply: Towing My Mustang