Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

2010 Revealed

Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cougar XR7 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT View Post
AH ha!
There is the answer for the Camaro.Now, I have a feeling we won't be getting anything new in 2011 as far as engines go. They should have the supercharger a FACTORY option instead of dealer option.
[/IMG]
They do, it's called the GT500 and it will anally rape the 420HP camaro in the 1/4 and mod for mod.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Mustang_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #22
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang_Joe View Post
They do, it's called the GT500 and it will anally rape the 420HP camaro in the 1/4 and mod for mod.

The GT500 costs 20k more. Don't know how much you are bringing in, but that is a big deal to most of us.

I like the argument about just modding the GT with the factory SC for less than the Camaro. The same argument could be made about modding the SS to blow away the GT500. Im sure 20k in mods to a stock SS would blow away a Shelby.

I still think the base GT should have been 350 hp with a 270 HP DI V6 for a base. Oh well, Ill just stick with my 65. (where I belong anyway)
lunarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #23
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonweasel View Post
The GT500 costs 20k more.
Maybe when they first came out. They're easily had for MSRP or less now.

Whipple-12psi 10 Rib Pulley Kit-McLeod RXT & Steel Flywheel-UPR Rod End LCAs, UCA, Spherical Bearing, Panhard Bar, K-member + Front Swaybar Delete-Metco LCA Relo Brackets-BMR Xtreme Anti Roll-Spydershaft-Race Star Wheels-MGW-PMP Line Locks-Stanghi O/R X-Odyssey 10 lb Battery-Moroso Separator-Eibach Front/CJ Rear Drag Springs-Strange Adjustable Shocks and Struts-MSD 2 Step-etc. 11.29@123 1.59 60'
DRAG RACE? ASK ME ABOUT MY UPR SUSPENSION.
Diabolical! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:11 AM   #24
fyrchkn

Vehicle: everything

So whats the price diff. between the new camaro and gt500 like $7,000. I know a place that will put a procharger on for that much. With just 5-6 psi would put the camaro around 615hp. Like 520-540 rwhp. That perfect for me I think that kind of hp is just right. I've had 2 LS1's in my car history and never had a problem with the motor so I think the LS3 would be the same.
fyrchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #25
stangboy555
2nd Gear Member

I'm not very impressed. I think I'll keep my 07' :-)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #26
94Thunderbirdpunk
2nd Gear Member

Two big complaints:
1. Needs factory stock bullitts.
2. Needs some kind of a read deck wing like the S197

Now I know everyone here is complaining about the engine. For all we know a Boss 302 package will be offered that will give us the power we were hoping for so badly. I see nothing wrong with having a slightly polished 3v under the hood for the GT. Keep in mind the GT is supposed to be the base of V8 packages. Plus you guys are competing just fine with the vehicles that are on the road as it is right now. If you think the camaro's are going to be crazy fast I would think otherwise. They are pretty bloated. Looks like the new GT is a bit more streamlined, almost like it may have shed a few lbs. Let's keep our fingers crossed for that. Maybe Ford realized shedding pounds can make up for lack of hp in this new ponycar market.
94Thunderbirdpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM   #27
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Vehicle: 2007, Ford, Mustang

I like how the new model looks, however I still prefer the 05-09 model because it has a more retro feel. And without adding more power, I don't see the need to upgrade.

ODDYSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #28
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ford Mustang Mach 1

i said this in another thread.. this reminds me of the 86-87 transition than anything else..... i believe in overall look it is not more than the 86-87 change but actually cosmetics of the '10 is way more than 86-87 was just what headlights and tail lights? and the GT body kit option and i said beofe this may drive 99-04 owenrs to buy.. but i dont think many if any 05-09 owners will noit go for another loan for this... other than a special edition car

Last edited by guitar00dude; 11-18-2008 at 10:10 AM.
guitar00dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #29
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

+1 definitely feels like 1987 all over again. not really the big changes I was hoping for. infact some of the changes I don't care for at all... such as the rear end. ah well i'm keeping my 07 and waiting for the '11 or '12 year model when we can expect a totally new car and I'll see how that one goes. In a way I'm kinda glad because now I don't have to worry about trading in my car and taking a loss lol.
07 GT, Bassani x-pipe w/hi-flow cats, slp loudmouths, 14" shorty antenna, bbk cai, Brenspeed 91 tune, gt500 spoiler, gt/cs front bumper, painted mirrors, frpp 4.10's, web electric sequentials, cervini c-series hood, shebly redline wheels 20x10 in the rear 20x8.5 in the front, nitto invo's

tungsten07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #30
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Shelby GT Convertible

But isn't it a good thing that they didn't change the engine? Now you can upgrade Mustangs and just switch over all your power-adders! They should fit under that new hood, right?
And there is still a spoiler delete option so you might try adding a more traditional wing if that's a preference.

2008 Shelby GT Convertible, Vista Blue, Auto, 100% stock

Sold:2005 Mustang GT, Premium, Screaming Yellow, Auto, Interior Upgrade Package, Black Bullitts & Eibach Pro-Kit Louvers are featured here:http://www.wheelskin.com/
Orion_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #31
Icemizer

Vehicle: 2004 V6 Mustang

I like the redesigned front end. Very much dislike the back as it just appears to slide off. Kinda of just meh...
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #32
MustangD
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2005, Mustang GT, Mineral Grey

I love it. Still going to keep my 2005 since my miles are low. I will probably get one these in 2013.

- Side Bar - I garaged my Mustang for the winter today, same day as Ford reveals the 2010. Wish I could have taken her for one more spin. Oh well I guess I'll have to wait until Spring...
Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM   #33
fordsbestcar
3rd Gear Member

I like the new look. Evidently new engine line up is in the 2011 model year. As far as the challenger they're fine. They won't let the Camaro shine for to long, come 2011 year the 5.0 and eccoboost V6 will probably be out. probably the 3.5 for stock stangs as well
fordsbestcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #34
jmstang66
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 98 GT 66 coupe

U-G-L-Y! the side profile shots look pretty cool, and some of the new colors are awesome...but other than that....the black grille with cut off foglights? could've just made the fogs smaller and the grille sides body color...the cheap looking front lip..yuck...the black side skirts are alright..the antenna..well a cool idea i guess to have it on the back fender, but why can't ford integrate it into the glass nowadays? and the back? oh don't get me started on the rear of this thing! tail lights?! who came in drunk to work that day and said hey these things look awesome lets put em on the '10! and whats with all the bulky looking chap plastic molding on the lower part of the bumper? interior itself looks ok, but the square vents in the middle kind of throw it off for me, should've kept em all round...sad to see that ford dropped the ball on this one...this was supposed to be THE car to compete with camaro and challenger, and the challenger looks sexier and sexier after i saw this hunk of junk come out....sorry guys
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #35
hirevn
1st Gear Member

The 05-09 looks much more like an american muscle car should look imo. At first glance I thought I was looking at a mazda rx8 (lol). But seriouisly, buying a base ss camaro with the 6 speed and 427 hp (i think thats close anyway) is only about 2500.00 more than a gt premium. sc for the stang is more than double that not including an install. The ls motors in the ss are already forged so people supercharging there camaros will be making some incrediable (safe) hp numbers without needing to tear into the short block.
Dont get me wrong, I love my stang but ford needs to man up and offer something more than a 50,000 gt500.
Coated long tubes + H pipe
SLP power flos
Delete plates
MSD Coil packs
Hurst billet short throw
BMR Lowering kit and LCA'S
20" Alcoa SuperSnakes
520rwhp
hirevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 AM   #36
Mustang_Joe
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cougar XR7 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevn View Post
The 05-09 looks much more like an american muscle car should look imo. At first glance I thought I was looking at a mazda rx8 (lol). But seriouisly, buying a base ss camaro with the 6 speed and 427 hp (i think thats close anyway) is only about 2500.00 more than a gt premium. sc for the stang is more than double that not including an install. The ls motors in the ss are already forged so people supercharging there camaros will be making some incrediable (safe) hp numbers without needing to tear into the short block.
Dont get me wrong, I love my stang but ford needs to man up and offer something more than a 50,000 gt500.
GT500=$42k MSRP, I've seen them new on lots for under $40k
Base model GT=$27k 13.0-13.2 1/4(I hear depending on weight reduction)
Base model Z28=$31k estimated 1/4-12.9-13.1 (from hp/weight)
GT500=Can't find the exact time but I know it's mid 12's

Looks to me like Ford made the right move.

Edit: Do Z28's actually come with forged internals?
Mustang_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #37
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008, Ford, Mustang
Send a message via AIM to Foreu2env

Overheard in a FoMoCo design meeting

"Hey you know how we completely redesigned the mustang for '05 and it was a total hit because it brought back memories of the classic muscle car look in a modern form?"
-Yeah, looks great
"well what if we make some more changes and get people excited again?"
-What do you have in mind?
"did anyone see transformers? That new Camaro has a very squinty and 'modern' front end, nothing like our big and bold muscle car look. I say we go small and squinty, lots of curves and completely abandon the classic look"
-Sure that sounds like a great idea.

WTF seriously. I love the big round head lights and front clip of the current body style, its honestly the ONE thing that sold me on the car above any other cars out there (350z specifically). So what do they do? they completely ruin it. Now it's all slanted and squinty eyed like a new camaro and other than the body shape, looks nothing like the revolutionary design of the current model. The big lights are gone, the straight edges, everything that i loved has been smashed in with a hammer until it's goofy and silly looking.

Wonderful, I'm glad I got mine before they started tryin to push this "modern" adaptation on me.
-Yeah why?

Satin Silver 2008 Pony Package V6
Flat Black stripes, front to back
Silver Bullit 17" wheels
Foreu2env is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #38
East87
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to East87

This is the only explanation I can offer as to why Ford STILL chose not to offer a bigger engine in light of what Chevy and Dodge were offering. I hate to be cliche'd, but it all came down to fuel. It seems that Ford determined the engine size to sort of meet the average customer halfway in terms of power, overall cost, and "perceived" fuel use. By that I mean, it's intuitive to suggest that the Camaro SS and the Challenger SRT8 are going to be a lot worse on fuel than the GT because of the sheer increase in power.

I think it shows a conservative measure was taken by Ford to make sure that they weren't the ones who released a massively powerful muscle car only to have gas completely preclude the country from ever finding it possible to own one. Ford was apparently not interested in getting into an arms race with Chevy/Dodge, and Blue Oval felt that the lower price tag for a V8 would still beckon the average customer in the market for a sports car with some giddyup; without John or Jane Doe having to declare bankruptcy after driving off the lot. I think more than anything, it's a reflection of Ford's desperate attempts to stay afloat. A company in their position can hardly afford to take chances with a new setup on a classic car. If gas hits $4.50-$5.00 within the next year, you can bet your @$$ that you won't see nearly as many Camaro SS's or Challenger RT's/SRT8's as you will see '10 GT's.

Another point, who knows how reliable Chevy's 6.2L V8 will be? The 5.7L V8 in the Challenger? Chevy did ok for themselves offering a 300 hp aircraft carrier on wheels equipped with a V6. Who knows how well the Camaro will actually fare?...especially with that awful front end haha. All it takes is for a major engine issue to present itself, and the whole line is suddenly highly questionable. The same concerns arise with the Challenger. The SE trim package will have less power than the Mustang V6. What's the point? I think the Mustang will fare better with the general population than people think, especially with the Mustang's penchant for reliability. For true enthusiasts like us however...we're kind of left at a loss.

I thought I didn't really like the new-ish design, but now I'm finding that it really appeals to me. Nevertheless, it's very disappointing that Ford decided against adding some girth under the hood.

C&L Racer/Brenspeed 93 tune, FRPP 4.10's, Pypes o/r H, Magnaflows, MGW Shifter, BMR LCA's, Roush Rear Springs, 1-piece aluminum D/S, CHE K-member brace w/torque limiters

13.37_107.04
East87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #39
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fusion SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar00dude View Post
i said this in another thread.. this reminds me of the 86-87 transition than anything else..... i believe in overall look it is not more than the 86-87 change but actually cosmetics of the '10 is way more than 86-87 was just what headlights and tail lights? and the GT body kit option and i said beofe this may drive 99-04 owenrs to buy.. but i dont think many if any 05-09 owners will noit go for another loan for this... other than a special edition car
lol...did you read my post in OT before you posted this?

I feel the exact same way. I wasn't hoping for a huge power increase, but 325/325 would have been nice.

It's a good refresher though.
Commander Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #40
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: '08 S197 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT View Post
Look people, we all knew the engine wasn't changing this year.

Cosmetically, I'm in love like it is 2004 all over again!
Bring on 2011 and at LEAST 350 horses.
+1 with regard to the comment about already knowing the power output wasn't going to change...come on people you already knew this. 2011/12 is when the change in the lineup of the engines will happen. This has been known for at least the last month.

as far as the cosmetics, I like the interior, the exteriod hood is nice, but I'm not diggin the new grill (looks like the camaro) or the swoopd trunk to bumper area. Screams 350Z to me or some other japanese meets german abomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostBoyz View Post
if you are getting 29mpg in your 5.0, you aren't driving it correctly
Derf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:46 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2006, 2011, al, canary, complaints, gt, huntsville, mustang, sale, scoots11, wheelskincom, wwwreliablechevycom, yellow