Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can the 2010 Mustang compete with the 2010 Camaro and Challenger?
Yes, the price makes up for the power difference.
30.59%
No. Its still going to be slower, model for model
57.06%
I dont care, its still better than no increase in power, and I want the 2010 Mustang.
12.35%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:56 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stealth
I don't know what all the talk about the new camaro is for. The front ends looks like its smiling, not aggressive at all, looks like a hot wheels car to me. lol

You are not the only one.. That car is ugly as sin!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I wonder if, in 1970, everyone had the same pissed off attitudes like some of those expressed in these threads!
I mean they must have all thought that after the huge power of the 1970's Mustangs that the new model for 1971 would have to be even bigger, better, and more powerful to compete with those Camaros!
Imagine their surprise when they found out how little power they got with the base 302!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:57 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ford made a wise decision, as usual.

it beats the competition in every single category imaginable, except of course for performance. this might seem like a big deal to the community here on MF, but in the real world most people won't care. the mustang will still outsell the camaros and challengers combined, as usual.

...and for those of us who do care about performance, FRPP (along with a panoply of aftermarket companies) will have a dizzying array of performance parts available, as usual.

let's not forget all the specialty models that are bound to come out too, roush, steeda, saleen, bullitt, cobra, boss... and the list goes on and on.

at the end of the day, the mustang will triumph... as usual.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 AM
01_torch_red_vette
1st Gear Member

Can it compete dollar for dollar? ... NO.
Will it sell... Of course. There are alot of people in the v8 market that want to buy a brand new muscle car for as little money as possible. The new GT provides that.

With the original question in mind, can it compete... for 2010 i say no. maybe with a better engine in 2011, but not the 2010's. i mean come on with 315 flywheel horse, thats just not up to par. the weight difference doesnt make up for its powerplant shortcomings.

As far as looks are concerned that is all subjective. I think the camaro has pretty mean look to it, especially the curves over the rear wheels. But im not a huge fan of the front clip. Then again i dont like what they did to the new stang's rear clip either. It sticks out to far if you ask me, but again its all subjective.

this should be a stock for stock comparison only of course. as soon as you guys start mentioning mods, all that comes to mind for me is a cam and bolt on only ls3 putting 490 or more to the wheels
Old 11-22-2008, 10:14 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
I wonder if, in 1970, everyone had the same pissed off attitudes like some of those expressed in these threads!
Dude are you kidding me? OFCOURSE they did. One of my friends was a Mopar guy and believe me everyone was real disappointed with the nosedive in power ratings "muscle" cars took in 1973 onward. It totally, and completely, SUCKED ***.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:09 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Bottom line, if you like what Ford has done with the 2010........get one. If you don't like it, don't. /thread

This same situation has existed for the better part of the last 15 or so years. Ford has simply not changed its approach with the Mustang. Last time I looked this didn't stop most of you from buying your SN95's, New Edge's, and current S197's. I don't see it stopping ppl from buying the upcoming redesigns. Ppl who are umimpressed with their pony's performance will do what I and others have done.......mod it. Its that simple. Ppl do it to less competitive cars everyday. You wanna sit hear and argue about who's getting more performance for their buck......good luck. I've been on this site for 4 years now, and I can tell you that that argument can't be had with ppl over the internet who have their own preconceived notion of what is right or what is better. Its ok to pay 5k more for an SS to get 90-100 more hp, but its weak to spend 5K on your GT to make it as fast or faster than an SS? If you say so.

At the end of the day, some ppl just prefer havin a Stang to the competition. That's the reason the Mustang continues to sell, and will continue to sell. It not being as feasible for the dollar performance-wise only matters to a small select group.....guys like us. And it wouldn't matter anyways if Ford did give us more power. If we were looking at a 350-370hp 3V 5.0 in the GT, the GM guys would still be giving us s**t about being down on power and that the weight difference doesn't matter. If Ford gave us a 450hp model that cost a few grand more than the SS, they'd be telling us about how a couple of grand in heads, cams, etc. and the SS would be spanking the Mustang left and right. Hell.........we HAVE a 500hp factory model, and all ppl do is talk about how the difference in price on an LS3 Camaro will have it leaving the Shelby in the dust. I have no problem with looking at things like that, but ppl play different sides of that argment according to what suits their inner fanboy best, and I'm sick of it. When we all start having to pay for our cars out of each other's pockets, then we can go round and round on who paid more for what power/performance they have. Until then, give it a rest. Its an argument that ends up turning ppl into hypocrites at some point. But go ahead......knock yourselves out.

Last edited by ThisBlood147; 11-22-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Ford also has the employee price plus going on.

This will shave $1,000 off MSRP, or Low APR Option.

I would do the low APR,4.9,5.9, 6.9 , or 8.9. You can save alot more this way on your payment and have cash to blow.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Dantheman

Ford doesn't have to make a more powerful Mustang for 20010. They know they are going to have a winner because of their past success. This just makes financial sense. They are probably putting all their ducks in a row for 20012, when they unveil their new engine. When that new engine comes out in 012, you can say goodbye to the days of affordable Mustangs IMO. Regarding the new 300 hp v6 Camaro, the exhaust is going to sound like ****. A GT is always going to sound better than a v6 Camaro.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:03 AM
hack_239
1st Gear Member

Well, Ford does have one thing on it's side,the Corvette. Hear me out, does anyone remember the Buick Grand National. For a short while it was the fastest production car GM put out. The Corvette people HATED that their flagship was outdone by a Buick. They complained to the GM powers-that-be and the Grand National was nerfed/cancelled. The base 'Vet has the same LS3 engine and makes 436hp at best with duel-mode exhaust. The Camaro WILL NOT out-do the company flagship model (even the base model) If Ford releases a bigger, more powerful engine later, Chevy will not respond without revamping the 'Vet first and then the Camaro in that order. That being said, dollar-for-dollar, the Chevy would have to be my next pick if Ford changes nothing. The $3000 to get 107 more hp and increased tq would be too difficult to pass over.

ps.

I hate the '05+ model years anyway. There is a reason I bought an '04 even though it has less ponies under the hood. The gt500kr is sweet, but who has the money for that?

Last edited by hack_239; 11-23-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hack_239

I hate the '05+ model years anyway. There is a reason I bought an '04 even though it has less ponies under the hood. The gt500kr is sweet, but who has the money for that?
Is the reason because you're poor? :-)

It would be better for you to admit to poverty instead of hatred!
Or a warped love of small interiors!

Quick Reply: Dollar for Dollar, Can the 2010 Mustang compete?