Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford 6.8L 3V truck engine in a 2005+ Mustang GT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Default Ford 6.8L 3V truck engine in a 2005+ Mustang GT?

I know it would be heavy....but wouldn't it be cool? What do you guys think?

1) Could you make it fit?
2) What tranny would you use?
3) Other opinions/thoughts?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 PM
One Bad Stang
4th Gear Member

what is the benifet of doing this??? are they capable of making over 500 horsepower to the wheels? i think the lengths you would need to modify the structure of the car are not worth it. your better off getting a crate motor from brenspeed or something. the crate motor would be cheaper and i'm sure its capable of more power and not to mention lighter and more powerful right out of the box.

you would need heavy duty springs, custom k member, different trans, driveline, rear end (possibly), engine and trans control units, hood, steering components, and the list goes on.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:36 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

benefits?

with a different (read custom) cam, you could easily have > 500 hp N/A and LOADS of torque...not to mention what you could get with different internals...

I agree on the tons of different parts though...I've been looking for a crazy build of some sort...not concerned with the amount of time it would take... 2-3 years would be fine with me...I would like it to be Ford related though...and mustang related...because I love Ford and Mustangs

I have the time, tools, friends, resources, and education to pull something like this off...just looking for something "original" to do
Old 11-21-2008, 10:18 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

it would be very costly; you would probably put in at least $8-10k easy. since you have a saleen w/ one of their superchargers (i don't know much on the different types of saleens but don't the extremes already have a s/c?), try their 'shaker' kit; that thing produces something like 700 bhp and is cheaper (and more economical, imo) then dropping a different engine in
Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

I agree with your suggested mods for the Extreme. I would NEVER modify the Extreme with something like this....

I am trying to find a donor GT with a blown engine or something for around $10K, then I would be totally fine with putting $10-$15K into the project to put the 6.8L into it.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Black GT
4th Gear Member

I have a 6.8L in my F-250 and it is a long engine.

You would have to do some major mods to get it to fit.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:48 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black GT
I have a 6.8L in my F-250 and it is a long engine.

You would have to do some major mods to get it to fit.
how long is long? is there somewhere (read free website) that I could get the dimensions of the block/heads/etc?
Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by severnrc
I agree with your suggested mods for the Extreme. I would NEVER modify the Extreme with something like this....

I am trying to find a donor GT with a blown engine or something for around $10K, then I would be totally fine with putting $10-$15K into the project to put the 6.8L into it.
With all the mods you would need to do you might as well just start with a V6. I bet you could find a beat V6 cheaper than a GT.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
severnrc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rdsx18
With all the mods you would need to do you might as well just start with a V6. I bet you could find a beat V6 cheaper than a GT.
someone else in a different thread mentioned I try to find a V6 chassis if I were to ever throw away the drivetrain...

I was told there were differences between the chassis of the two...the GT supposedly has a stiffer frame (among some other things I can't remember)
Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

Originally Posted by rdsx18
agreed. regardless, you will have to beef up suspension, transmission, etc. and by starting w/ a v6 it will cost a lot less up front than with a gt would. you could go with a small block crate engine; might cost a little less in the long run and you may be able to put down similar numbers. i've checked ford racing's site, and the higher-end modular engines that are larger than the stock gt's (and wouldn't require major mods to the rest of the car) are running anywhere from $16k - $30k new.

Originally Posted by severnrc
I was told there were differences between the chassis of the two...the GT supposedly has a stiffer frame (among some other things I can't remember)
in 2007, i believe ford began making the gt chassis and the v6 chassis exactly the same as the gt500's, support/stiffness wise (which is stiffer/stronger than the pre-'07 models); the v6 and gt chassis might have been the same before '07 too, though

Last edited by Xeno; 11-21-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford 6.8L 3V truck engine in a 2005+ Mustang GT?