Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MOTORIZED FRONT LICENSE PLATE REVEALED!!!!!

Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Default MOTORIZED FRONT LICENSE PLATE REVEALED!!!!!

Ok guys, I didn't get the patent for my design in time, and another company came out with a similar product. I decided to let you all have access to the schematics and intructions. I have to change my oil soon so when I have the car in the air I will take pics.
http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=HPIM0179.flv

Retractable Hidden License Plate

A. License Plate Bracket

License plate is attached to the License Plate Bracket. Machine Screws bolt through the bracket and the heads of the Screws, along with washers as spacers, serve as spacers that keep the License Plate Bracket at an angle under the car and not entirely flat. This is to prevent wind from pulling the plate downward at high speeds.

B. Piano Hinge

License Plate Bracket is attached to a Piano Hinge, which is spring loaded to remain closed while the plate is not in the raised position. When the Plate is lowered from the raised position, the springs close the hinge and the License Plate Bracket is lowered quickly before being pulled under the vehicle. Thise keeps all parts from coming into contact with the bumper.

C. Torsion Springs

Torsion Springs are incorporated into the Hinge at its bend, replacing a section of the Hinge itself. The pin running through the entire Hinge also runs through the Torsion Springs.

D. Cable

A set of two cables connect the License Plate Bracket to a stationary bracket attached to the unmoving section of the Linear Actuator. The unmoving section of the Linear Actuator is secured to the underside of the vehicle.

E. Vinyl Cable Cover

A short length of tubing surrounds the section of the cables closest to the License Plate Bracket. This protects the vehicle from coming into contact with the cable.

F. Tension Spring

A Tension Spring is attached to the cables at their center in order to keep the cables above the mechanism and out of the way of any moving parts. When the Plate is raised, the spring expands and allows the cables to straighten and pull on the License Plate Bracket.

G. Stationary Bracket

A Stationary Bracket is attached to the unmoving Section of the Linear Actuator. This Bracket is where the ends of the Cables connect.

H. Linear Actuator

A Linear Actuator is bolted to the Piano Hinge. This is powered by an Electric Motor which extends and retracts, thereby raising and lowering the mechanism.

Last edited by suoperdave84; 11-26-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: added link
Old 11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear that you didn't get the patent. How long does it take to make this by hand?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:54 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Well it took me about 2 weeks to build a working prototype, but if you have the plans in front of you, and all the materials, you can build it in an afternoon or two.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

thats badass if i had to have a front license plate id for sure do it haha
Old 11-26-2008, 05:23 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Ive always loved this but it would mean I need to remove my chin spoiler.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM
flyinfunnyguy16
2nd Gear Member

So if you were to sell these, how much would you charge?? And would you ever sell to just, say your good friends at "Mustangforums"??? I mean if you sold them to "friends", theres no patent infringing there is there? I mean not like any of us would say anything, and would be much more inclined to buy from a fellow Mustanger, than some company. Great job man
Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

I'd buy yours before a companies just because its got that custom nostalgia to it.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:53 PM
06elnr
5th Gear Member

dang dave, thats sucks bro...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:34 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by flyinfunnyguy16
So if you were to sell these, how much would you charge?? And would you ever sell to just, say your good friends at "Mustangforums"??? I mean if you sold them to "friends", theres no patent infringing there is there? I mean not like any of us would say anything, and would be much more inclined to buy from a fellow Mustanger, than some company. Great job man
It's not really copyright infringement if I sold these. Their design doesn't operate the same way, but the end result is the same. I don't really have any interest in selling them though. Too much work for me for too little payoff.

And Mellow...you can probably still do this under the chin spoiler if you had to have a plate. Mine literally operates in 3/4 inch.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

dave is that 100% hidden when down? i saw the other companies and i didnt like it cuz u could see the license plate a little whne it was down...also would this have a problem clearing my GT500 splitter? i would be interested in buyin one from u..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOTORIZED FRONT LICENSE PLATE REVEALED!!!!!