Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hesitation Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Default Hesitation Question

Last night I was coming back north on I-95 and I was cruising around 70 mph. I downshifted to 4th to pass a car doing 55 or 60 and get back over and my car felt like it almost stalled out for a second and then picked up. It was a noticable bog. It's the only time this has ever happened. I tried to have it happen again, but it was only once. I have no performance mods except for an O/R H pipe and Axlebacks (if you even want to count those). Anyone know what might have caused this?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

The probable cause is the fuel pump. There's a TSB on it. But unless you have an extended warranty, you'll have to pay to have it replaced.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
The probable cause is the fuel pump. There's a TSB on it. But unless you have an extended warranty, you'll have to pay to have it replaced.
Thats what I'm afraid of. I thought I remembered hearing about a TSB but I'm long out of warranty.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Yeah that's what it sounds like and hopefully they will cover it under that TSB.....seemed to be an issues for many with the 05's
Old 12-06-2008, 09:05 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Had that trouble too. For me it happened whenever I would be on the freeway, and let's say i would drive for 20 miles or more at a certain speed, then downshift, it would hesitate. It happened to me like 4 times, I went to the dealership, they installed an 08 tune on it and it hasn't done it since. I hope that was it anyways.. I still have a year of warranty, so if it happens again, I'll have to go in and change the pump.. Talking about TSB's

Is there one that fixes the problem of filling up the tank ? It happens so often it pisses me off. I'll pump and it stops numerous times like my tank is full.. and I have to go at super slow flow to fill my tank up.
Old 12-06-2008, 09:41 PM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

i JUST got this TSB done and posted about it:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...fuel-pump.html

according to this website tsb's are "informational" and are not repairs done for free unless the car is under warranty.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl688b.htm

"If the car was out of warranty, then the normal charges apply.

Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are issued by a vehicle manufacturers to alert technicians to product updates and known issues. They are not, in any way, an extension of, or addition to, the new car warranty. If the condition in a TSB happens in warranty, then the condition is repaired under the warranty. If it happens outside the warranty period, it is up to the customer to pay for the repair.

Under some circumstances there may be the possibility of a "Good Will" repair. This means that the vehicle is just out of warranty but has a known problem and either the dealer or the auto maker will warranty the repair in order to satisfy a customer."

Last edited by timothyrw; 12-06-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:33 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Thanks for posting Timothy!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:30 PM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by timothyrw
i JUST got this TSB done and posted about it:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...fuel-pump.html

according to this website tsb's are "informational" and are not repairs done for free unless the car is under warranty.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl688b.htm

"If the car was out of warranty, then the normal charges apply.

Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) are issued by a vehicle manufacturers to alert technicians to product updates and known issues. They are not, in any way, an extension of, or addition to, the new car warranty. If the condition in a TSB happens in warranty, then the condition is repaired under the warranty. If it happens outside the warranty period, it is up to the customer to pay for the repair.

Under some circumstances there may be the possibility of a "Good Will" repair. This means that the vehicle is just out of warranty but has a known problem and either the dealer or the auto maker will warranty the repair in order to satisfy a customer."

Thanks for posting this Timothyrw. I knew I read about it somewhere, but couldn't find the TSB. Do you know what they did to fix the issue? Did they replace the pump or just add something to block the bubbles from being sucked up?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

They replaced the fuel pump. In the TSB the service procedure states:

"1. Perform normal Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04 diagnostics to isolate the concern to the fuel pump.

2. Replace the fuel pump per WSM, Section 310-01.

Part Number: 7R3Z-9H307-C
Part Name: Sender And Pump Assy"

It took about 2 hours with an oil change. TSB and various other sources said it should only take 1hr. You can get the part on RockAuto.com for $224 and someone around here probably has a 5% off coupon code.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&a=PR48-PFS376

Honestly, if I had to pay for it myself I'd probably have an independent shop do it if the dealership wouldn't give you a "good will" deal...

Good luck!

Originally Posted by ErcWrestlr
Thanks for posting this Timothyrw. I knew I read about it somewhere, but couldn't find the TSB. Do you know what they did to fix the issue? Did they replace the pump or just add something to block the bubbles from being sucked up?

Last edited by timothyrw; 12-07-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

i hate how these things cost money unless ur still under warranty...

Quick Reply: Hesitation Question