Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHR Louver Install....56K = DEATH

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Great write up!!

I really like the SHR louvres but after seeing what you went through think I will move them down on my list of future mods!!

Oh and finally some what off topic but great cats!! Believe they are Rag Dolls, here are my two (well technically bought for my fiance) when they where kittens:

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM
09Stang
1st Gear Member

Excellent write up, I will be using this sometime in the 2009.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

wonderful write up. Goes to show you why, with my lack of skills and strong ability to break fasteners, I chose to just get the slap-em-on louvers!

BTW, with all the seat taken up, would that not be a prime time to install sound soundproofing matting? It might not need it but over time you might wish you had some Dynamat back there.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 AM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
wonderful write up. Goes to show you why, with my lack of skills and strong ability to break fasteners, I chose to just get the slap-em-on louvers!

BTW, with all the seat taken up, would that not be a prime time to install sound soundproofing matting? It might not need it but over time you might wish you had some Dynamat back there.
Thanks, and YES!, soundproofing the back seat area would be a prime co-mod while doing the louvers.....

Mike
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mlcrycc
Thanks, and YES!, soundproofing the back seat area would be a prime co-mod while doing the louvers.....

Mike
Been there, done that - didn't make much difference. Well, I suppose it depends on what your goals are. It didn't make a lick of difference on muffler drone.

It did filter down higher frequency sounds. It did tone down the slight trumpet/raspyness from my exhuast (as heard from inside the car, obviously), making it sound better IMO.

One day I will do the doors also to eliminate some road noise.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

yeah, I was thinking more of the gear noise that I have all the time, except for when I let my foot off the gas.
It's not as loud as before, with the original gears, and it would make the noise when I let off the gas.
Can't win with first year models!
But it did seem like there was a lot of bare sheet metal back there...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:04 PM
jlaurens06gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Stiff adhesive....

I think it is because your tube of adhesive was too old. My tube of adhesive from SHR was so stiff, it broke my caulk gun half way through the install of the 1st window. I was stuck. I had to let the stuff dry and then cut it off like the factory sealant.

My next tube of sealant from the auto parts store was WAY easier to put on. It flowed a lot more smoothly. It was also a 3M window sealant. Label was a different color, but it was 3M and said all the same stuff on the label.
ditto on the adhesive. i actually experienced blowback 1/3 of the way around the first window. totally wrecked my gun and set me back another couple of days...had to look for replacement adhesive and could not. ended up using 'regular' windshield adhesive and it has been 2 years and great.

Be Liberal on your application of adhesive.....thickness of a pencil i would say.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:15 PM
shoepolishsmelling
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the adhesive i waited to do the install and also the tube was old ended up going to the local autoparts store once that was done all went well. lots and lots of swearing at first though
Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
mb2
2nd Gear Member

great write up, They look awesome man!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

i just ordered these. Will be attempting this install with second skin sound deadening material, and lighted sills simulatenously.

Cant wait to get everything and get to work!

Quick Reply: SHR Louver Install....56K = DEATH