Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell us about your HID's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:30 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Default Tell us about your HID's

What kit did you get? Where did you get it from? What problems if any have you had with it? Installtion issues? I would like to do this conversion but like most people I would like to a void any issues others have had and make sure I'm getting the best buy for my buck.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:38 PM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

www.sharphid.com dual hi/low H13 Apexcone 5000K kit 35w. I personally dont recommend a kelvin rating more than 6000K for you headlights. More kelvin that that just reduces your actual light and can possible get you in trouble with the law! Install is pretty straight forward, I have done a few kits in other cars in the past, so this took less than a hour and they are plug and play for the most part. You will need to aim your headlights down a little bit after install as not to blind oncoming traffic.. this is VERY easily achieved by turning the very accessible 6mm plastic adjusters for each headlight. Counter clockwise to lower if I remember correctly. If you aim them too low you will definitely notice it and if you are too high, the other cars on the road will tell you as well. All in all, HID's are a HUGE upgrade for overall light output on all cars and for sure the Mustang. I was horrified how bad the stock halogens are on these cars. I am used to BMW M3 headlights that simply ROCK!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadracer516
www.sharphid.com dual hi/low H13 Apexcone 5000K kit 35w. I personally dont recommend a kelvin rating more than 6000K for you headlights. More kelvin that that just reduces your actual light and can possible get you in trouble with the law! Install is pretty straight forward, I have done a few kits in other cars in the past, so this took less than a hour and they are plug and play for the most part. You will need to aim your headlights down a little bit after install as not to blind oncoming traffic.. this is VERY easily achieved by turning the very accessible 6mm plastic adjusters for each headlight. Counter clockwise to lower if I remember correctly. If you aim them too low you will definitely notice it and if you are too high, the other cars on the road will tell you as well. All in all, HID's are a HUGE upgrade for overall light output on all cars and for sure the Mustang. I was horrified how bad the stock halogens are on these cars. I am used to BMW M3 headlights that simply ROCK!
Would you recomend a 35w or a 55w?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

www.retro-solutions.com, I bought the 6000k Bi-Xenon 55w kit, and I LOVE them. The install was very simple, pretty much dummy proof if you just lay everything out before you install it. The wires run along factory looms so it looks very clean and the kit is backed up with great customer service and a lifetime warranty, I couldn't be happier. Not to mention they are a forum sponsor, discount
Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
55w and don't look back!
Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM
devin gt/cs
2nd Gear Member

i have 8k and i love them...one of my friends actually sells hid's through his custom shop. i got them for 125 ea set
Old 12-12-2008, 01:31 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

+2 Retro-solutions! I pretty much agree with what Derek said, install shouldnt take more than half an hour...Looks great, better than anything you would get from the factory. Forum sponsor....discount! LOL
Old 12-12-2008, 03:19 PM
roadracer516
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
I guess just like anyone, all this is just my opinion. I think 55w is overkill and not necessary, the light output on a good 35w kit is awesome, plus the 35w kits requires way less power to run then stock and less power than a 55w kit too. I went with sharpHID because I have had their kits in my last car and my two current cars and my current motorcycle with great luck. I am sure their are other good ones out there like the retro solutions, I just dont have personal use to base them on.

As far a the kelvin rating......DO YOUR HOMEWORK....it is fact that the higher the kelvin rating, the fewer lumens (or less light output) you get. I personally use HID's for their function and crisp light, so I prefer as close to pure white as possible with the maximum lumens....Again IMO! I cannot stand those purple kits, they just dont make sense to me, maybe for show, but not for driving in the pitch black night!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by roadracer516
I guess just like anyone, all this is just my opinion. I think 55w is overkill and not necessary, the light output on a good 35w kit is awesome, plus the 35w kits requires way less power to run then stock and less power than a 55w kit too. I went with sharpHID because I have had their kits in my last car and my two current cars and my current motorcycle with great luck. I am sure their are other good ones out there like the retro solutions, I just dont have personal use to base them on.

As far a the kelvin rating......DO YOUR HOMEWORK....it is fact that the higher the kelvin rating, the fewer lumens (or less light output) you get. I personally use HID's for their function and crisp light, so I prefer as close to pure white as possible with the maximum lumens....Again IMO! I cannot stand those purple kits, they just dont make sense to me, maybe for show, but not for driving in the pitch black night!
Does it really matter how much power you're drawing? and even the 55w kit pulls less power than the stock Halogens.... anyways pure white is 4300k supposedly, the most light output possible. 6000k is a nice balance IMHO
Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i got the factory ford ones they came on my car no probloms at all

does anyone know if i could change the bulbs in mine

Last edited by deekum1627; 12-12-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Tell us about your HID's