Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Mustangs

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 04:33 PM
N3mi5is

Default Canadian Mustangs

Ok here's the story. Purchased my used 2007 mustang gt from a local dealer in October. The carfax said the car was built and sold in canada. A bout a year later is was purchased by a dealer here in the states and was "certified" to be sold in the U.S. market.

First thing I noticed was the day time driving lamps. Researched it and it's basically un-changeable according to the dealers I've called. No big deal I can get used to it.

Now, I installed a pypes off-road H-pipe yesterday. Ended up having to weld it together because no matter how tight the clamps are it leaked like an SOB.

Put about 100 miles or so on it in the city/highway from driving to GA to see the family.

Yet, so far there is still no check engine light. I put about 30 miles on it before I took the pipe back off and welded the joints, which I disconnected the battery to do so.

So, how long before anyone else's MIL came on after removing the cats?

I wonder if it has something to do with the car being originally built for a foreign market?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

I work for US Customs and have imported a lot of vehicles into the US both US and CA origin. There are 3 things we require before we can import a car into the US allowing it to be registered. First, a letter of conformity saying the car meets all US standards w/ the exception of the odometer, that can still be in kilometers. Second, and EPA form stating it meets all environmental standards (in stock form for us MFs). Third, a DOT form listing all the information about the car the the owner/dealer fills out. Without these 3 things the car cannot be registered in the US.
From my experience I have never seen a late model car that has failed to meet any of these criteria as long as the owner/dealer knew where to find the info to provide us. Essentually what I'm saying is that a Mustang made and sold in CA should be exactly the same as a Mustang sold in the US. The only exception might be cars going to California since I know they are big into emmisions but all the cars I've processed of CA origin still have C.A.R.B stickers.
Now another option might be that it was simply manufactured in Canada, but entered US commerce as a US vehicle of Canadian origin and thus having a US speedo. The big 3 all have plants in CA and bring vehicles into the US everyday so the carfax might have simply been a mess up.
I guess w/ all my rambling I didn't really answer why you haven't thrown a code yet b/c I really have no idea...
Old 12-24-2008, 10:49 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

DRL can be removed by the dealer with a PCM reflash.

Not sure if they charge a fee.

As for MIL's ...if you don't have eliminators or a tune that shuts off the o2 sensors, its just a matter of time before they trip.

Some people don't have them trip for 6 months, others 6 days. Who knows when the PCM wants to throw a code.

Just get an aftermarket tune and have them turn off the 02 sensors for you.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

+1 the drl can be turned off at the dealer and all mustangs are built in the US
Old 12-25-2008, 11:30 AM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

If the first number on your vin will tell you were the car was made. 1 is the US and 2 would be CAN
Old 12-26-2008, 09:23 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Angry

I purchased my car used a year ago not knowing it had the DRL's. After finding out my car was made in Canada I went to 2 different Ford dealers and both of them told me they couldnt do it because my car was a Canadian car. Guess im stuck with mine.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

No Mustangs are made in Canada, they are all made in the same plant but some are just made for Canadian export!