Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help on axle backs

Old 12-27-2008, 06:19 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Poco
Has anyone seen or heard the new FRPP(08') M-5230-s muffs they came out with?They are for use on the FR500S Mustangs. They look similar to FRPP Stingers.
They are made by Borla and sound worse on the 500C.
Weird, you would think that the quad mill of the C would put out a better sound...

Then again, it's straight pipes from the headers.
Not H or X. Each bank of cylinders are independents.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'll agree with pascal... I've had loud, I've had SUPER loud and I've had undrivable loud. You want to find that tone that you personally like... it's difficult because diff'rent stroke for diff'rent folks but IMO a nice lower tone, that builds with rpm and doesn't trumpet is the best.

My recommendation is Pypes mid-mufflers, GTA's, Corsa (Steeda brand) with a catted midpipe and longtubes (if you can afford). Any of those setups will sound really good. For some reason the S197 sounds better with a straight-thru design muffler.

If you want a chambered MAC would be top of my list. I know you have these already but IMO they sound better than all other chambered designs.

Originally Posted by pascal
The louder the car, the harder it is to make it sound good

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 12-27-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

MAC Boomtubes. Nuff said.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
MAC Boomtubes. Nuff said.
Says the guy that lives out in the country..lol sirknight. I wish I did!!! I'd have probably left the off-road pipe on with the cams.. good lord.. it was soooooo loud! Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reS3aMDxXSc
Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

No seriously the drone is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. The Macs are bar none the best sounding muffler for the new mustang, sooooo deeeeeeep and sooooo sexy. Dont even waste your $$ trying anything else if your going for a deep muscular tone. You only experience drone at certain rpms which you can easily avoid. The only other one I would get is the Boomtubes like mr.tg recommended GET THE MACS YOU WONT REGRET IT!!! http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/i...g?t=1230425671
Old 12-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I went through 4 different setups and finally settled with the mid-mufflers but I'd have to say that the MAC's were my favorite. They came back off within a month because of the trumpeting with the off-road pipe and were sold on craigslist. I'd love to have them back now with the cams and catted mid-pipe. I'm sure they would sound awesome. And the highly polished case looked sooo awesome from behind.

I miss my MAC's!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:28 PM
thedrod
3rd Gear Member

I will only comment on what I have heard in person.

1. I have hooker axle-backs with a basanni x-pipe and high flow cats. Drone is minimal and sounds nice and deep like a muscle car should.
2. Best friend has a set of JBA axlebacks with an offroad x pipe. Video I made is here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ww2i...e=channel_page
3. Corsas sound great with virtually no drone, but they are super overpriced.
4. SLP Loudmouths are good if you want your car to sound like cr@p.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:38 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I went through 4 different setups and finally settled with the mid-mufflers but I'd have to say that the MAC's were my favorite. They came back off within a month because of the trumpeting with the off-road pipe and were sold on craigslist. I'd love to have them back now with the cams and catted mid-pipe. I'm sure they would sound awesome. And the highly polished case looked sooo awesome from behind.

I miss my MAC's!
I love your car btw That idle sounds soooo nice
Old 12-27-2008, 07:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks bro.. it took sooo long to find the right tone and the cams just brought everything together so nice. It's a whole new tone thru the gears with the cams, I wish I had all my other exhaust setups to hear with these cams.

I can't stand trumpeting. Onederful100 has also had many setups and this is what trumpeting sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfrnwggL1s

That brap brap brap on accel is what I cannot STAND. A catted midpipe was the only solution.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:06 PM
mynameismike65
4th Gear Member

Yeah I hear you, I cant stand trumpeting either. Right now Im just going to keep the stock H until I can afford the mac lt/prochamber combo. All mac combo ftmfw.
Just deep and smooth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUSfLyvN54k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aUXBDVd-vc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need help on axle backs