Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension - What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:48 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
If the car isn't lowered and you have larger rear wheels than the stock ones then you don't have to worry about that?
Probably not but as has been said many times, every car is different. If you car is square from the factory (the rear axle is dead centered in the frame) then the answer is No, you will not need an adjustable PHB for an un-lowered car. If your rear axle is to the right or left from the factory then going to a wider wheel in the rear *may* look funny. For example, lets say your car was a .5" to the left (drivers side) from the factory. Now you add big wide wheels. Suddenly the left rear tire is much closer to the fender than the right tire and it looks bad.

So the bottom line is - get the wheels and install them. Then decided if you need an adjustable PHB.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys is there an instrument or a way of measuring this type of thing to check how far off it is?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:01 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Thanks guys is there an instrument or a way of measuring this type of thing to check how far off it is?
The easy way???

Put the car on a level surface. Hang a string from the fender with a small weight on it. Measure the distance from string to the rim.

Should be more then adequate.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:37 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the help guys!

I'll probably just get the springs and struts/shocks then find out what I need from there.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

And the extreme fix for centering the Axle is a Watts Link
Old 12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

check out taco bills how to stuff for some great how to s
I am no expert but I have lowered the car and made some susp mods, You will get some better performance changing this stuff out but it does cost! both money and a little in noise. I am running wider tires in the back and once I lowered it the shift was very noticable to the eye. had to get the adj p.h. bar. I put on steeda lca and steeda relocation brackets and that really made a big difference, off the line. There is a lot of ways to go but you gotta taylor it to your driving habits. There are some experts on her and they might chime in or they are tired of beating a dead horse.
good luck and have fun.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Beware. TacoBill is a pumpkin jacker.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

For lowering all you really HAVE to have is the springs and get it aligned. I am running stock shocks till they blow on my eibach pro kit springs and they feel fine. People complain about a rough ride but mine feels fine. I have been running mine for 15k miles now or something like that with no problems and the thing handles like a beast.

Panhard bar is good if the axle isnt centered.

You might need camber bolts if they cant get enough camber out without them.

Other than that you can upgrade stuff while you are down there but if you do it, I would just get springs, shocks if you want, adj panhard bar and camber bolts.

Just my opinion though.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:40 PM
itchy5
1st Gear Member

Ok I'll throw in my $0.02 also.

I went with a more expensive setup than I actually needed. Don't get me wrong I really like the Steeda coil-over kit with the D-Spec adjustable shocks and struts, but I really could have went with the FRPP or Eibach kits. I can only speak for the Steeda components with which I am more than happy, and I think they are well made components.

Make sure you get new upper strut mounts if you replace the struts. The stock ones are prone to failure, especially when reinstalled. One of mine fell apart when I removed it.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Be very clear about what you want to do. Drag racing compared to road course/canyon carving are different set ups. 95% of the people online will give you drag racing advice and set ups.

Don't waste your time and money on adjustments you don't need if your only lowered an inch or less. Get the fundamentals first. Good balanced set of Springs/shocks/struts, adjustable sway bars front and rear, ditch the leap-frog panhard bar set up, get a watts link, get a STB, G-track bar, LCR's.

If your not drag racing, then forget about the LCR re-location brackets and the adjustable UCA. Don't mess with the camber adjustments till you have set everything else set up.

The watts link solves a vast amount of unstable side step leap frogging in hard cornering over bumps, and plants the rear end more firmly generally in real road hard driving.

Start with the things that you can feel make a difference. Strut mounts and many other stock items are fine until they fail. Don't let vendors lead you into buying things only people in actual competitions need or care about. Erik

Quick Reply: Suspension - What do I need?