Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote starter questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

If i was putting a remote start in my car it would ONLY be factory ford,your asking for problems with a aftermarket one!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:14 PM
Jermaine_Luvv

I have a 2002 3.8 5 speed manual mustang I want to install a Excalibur AL-2050_EDPB with a Blade-AL64 bypass module! Now the wiring diagram came with the Eacalibur but not with the Bypass module! So I went there website a to look it up and they show me that two wires (Orange/Black-ECM RX, Gray/Red-ECM TX) go from the bypass to the ignition 1 & 2, but that's it! I do know that using a Bypass module eliminates most of the wires that comes with the Excalibur! Now the a wiring diagram for the Excalibur show's you where to put it's wires but not the blade bypass! Can someone please help me with this!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Remote start switch on a manual...Hmm...where have I heard this story before??

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-updated.html

Actually OP, is your car auto or manual? I just posted this because someone mentioned putting Remote start on their MANUAL car....
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

I have a remote starter on my 2013 GT with a 6 speed manual. it is made by AstroStart. You have to shut down the car in a proper sequence or it will not start the car. With your feet on the clutch and brake, take it out of gear and let out the clutch. While foot is still on the brake, set the emergency brake. Take feet off the pedals, turn "off" the car and remove the key. The car will continue to run. After one or both doors have ben opened and closed, the car will shut down. The start system now knows that the car was out of gear when the car doors were closed. It may seem complicated, but after a few times, it is automatic and you don't even think about it. It has a switch under the dash to disable the system (like when I have the car serviced). I also have a phone app (SmartStart) that I can unlock, open trunk, or start the car from anyplace in the United States where my phone (Verizon) has connection and the car has phone connection. The car is AT&T so that s**ks in some areas.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
whosniffedme
3rd Gear Member

Getting a remote started in stalled on a manual is a pain in the ***. I called 6 or 7 different businesses asking for an install and only two offered me prices like $250-$300, the others flat out refused. This is because they believe that it's a liability on their part if you were to start in gear. I did a lot of research and this stuff is utterly annoying to try and understand, good luck.

I had a guy said he'd install mine if I bought him a case of beer but he flaked out on me.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM
johnny_raincloud
2nd Gear Member

I definitely agree that a remote start on a manual is very risky...
From a convenience stand point, it would be nice. However, I have had so many friends who destroyed their front ends and property from having this on their MT cars.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

It's just a bad idea. Remote starts are for autos. Anything else is asking for trouble.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by wkayl
I have a remote starter on my 2013 GT with a 6 speed manual. it is made by AstroStart. You have to shut down the car in a proper sequence or it will not start the car. With your feet on the clutch and brake, take it out of gear and let out the clutch. While foot is still on the brake, set the emergency brake. Take feet off the pedals, turn "off" the car and remove the key. The car will continue to run. After one or both doors have ben opened and closed, the car will shut down. The start system now knows that the car was out of gear when the car doors were closed. It may seem complicated, but after a few times, it is automatic and you don't even think about it. It has a switch under the dash to disable the system (like when I have the car serviced). I also have a phone app (SmartStart) that I can unlock, open trunk, or start the car from anyplace in the United States where my phone (Verizon) has connection and the car has phone connection. The car is AT&T so that s**ks in some areas.
What a pain...it's fine up until you shut the car 'off' and it still runs until you open close one or both doors.

So if you can start the car without the key, can you drive it without the key?

The way I look at is that if you own a manual (more fun to drive) you give up certain perks of owning an auto, and vice versa.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Any auto start should shut down when the brake/clutch is depressed without a key in the ign. My factory system on the 08 auto works like a charm....but I doubt I would have ordered one or installed one on a car for my personal use.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:24 AM
wkayl
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
What a pain...it's fine up until you shut the car 'off' and it still runs until you open close one or both doors.

So if you can start the car without the key, can you drive it without the key?

The way I look at is that if you own a manual (more fun to drive) you give up certain perks of owning an auto, and vice versa.
It is not a pain at all. Like I said, after doing it a few times, it is no hassle at all. How many of you already have the clutch and brake pushed in when you shut down your car and set the emergency brake? After you exit the car it is just like any other remote system. The car will shut down if brake is depressed or the engine goes over 1000 RPM. No key in ignition, so no you cannot steer the car to drive it. I will shoot a GoPro video this weekend and show how it works.

Quick Reply: Remote starter questions