Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remote starter questions

Old 01-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Default Remote starter questions

I am looking to get a remote starter for my car. A couple quesions for those who have gotten them. First off I got the "Safety and Security" package with my car. In the manual it says you need to get a Ford installed remote starter due to the security system in the car. Does anyone know if this is true? I have gotten mixed results asking around.

Second quesion is which starter to go with and where to get it installed. I went to Best Buy yesterday and they told me it would be around $350 for the setup. They had several models of starters to choose from and I did not know the difference between them.

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

Make sure you go to a pro to do this. These cars have so many electronic switches and dodads thru the ignition, an amateur could really mess it up.

My cousin tried to have one installed on his conversion van last year and they f**ked it up. They had his van towed to a garage and said sue us.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Backup beepers? Cameras? Sand in the trunk? and now remote starts?

Here, cut this out and place it in your back window.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
Backup beepers? Cameras? Sand in the trunk? and now remote starts?

Here, cut this out and place it in your back window.

LOL, Its a brand new car....I have alot of questions. Plus I trust you guys alot more than the 16 year olds working at best buy.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Just messing with ya!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

i have the safety and security package with the ford installed remote and i have had no problems.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangfan410
i have the safety and security package with the ford installed remote and i have had no problems.
Who did your install and did you have to buy anything extra? Someone I was talking to mentioned I needed some kind of bypass switch to get around the security system.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:25 PM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

You can install a remote start on any car even with the Safety and Security option. Asian wolf.com has the best prices I've seen. I did a remote install on my own car. It wasn't to bad and you could probably do it yourself. I installed one of these on my previous car (Lincoln LS) now that was a nightmare. You guys think these cars have to many elctronics? You haven't a clue. The Mustang installation will take a novice probably an afternoon. OP if you decide to try and run into problems, PM me. Don't use any switches to bypass the secruity stuff. You will need a separate module to remember your key code. I'd have to look it back up but I believe out cars take a directed electronics SW555s.

Last edited by TheRebel; 01-09-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:52 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by TheRebel
You can install a remote start on any car even with the Safety and Security option. Asian wolf.com has the best prices I've seen. I did a remote install on my own car. It wasn't to bad and you could probably do it yourself. I installed one of these on my previous car (Lincoln LS) now that was a nightmare. You guys think these cars have to many elctronics? You haven't a clue. The Mustang installation will take a novice probably an afternoon. OP if you decide to try and run into problems, PM me. Don't use any switches to bypass the secruity stuff. You will need a separate module to remember your key code. I'd have to look it back up but I believe out cars take a directed electronics SW555s.
Uh, yes, I do have a clue. The electronics are abundant and
judging from the OPs previous posts I would not recommend
him to install it himself in "an afternoon".
I know to avoid Best Buy and Circuit City for electronic installs.
I have fixed way too many untrained youngsters botched installs.
The seperate "module" to remember the PATS key code
makes you stang just that more vulnerable to theft.
I would have Ford install one of their OEM starters for complete
non PATS compromising system compatability and correct OEM
operation.

Last edited by 157dB; 01-10-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 AM
TheRebel
2nd Gear Member

157 I think you took me the wrong way. I know you know the electronics in these cars way better than me or most on this forum from you posts. My point was, people should not be scared to try things because I myself am a novice but the Mustang was considerable simplier to install my remote start on. Of course it depends what your remote starter is capable of and what features you want to allow it to control. I know you know this so that last bit was for others out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote starter questions