Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Sound Coming from the Rear.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Default Weird Sound Coming from the Rear.

Just got back to my house after dropping my car off at the dealer. Yesterday about halfway through the day, I got in it to go somewhere and when I took off, I heard kind of a whishing sound that increased with speed. Kind of what you would expect to hear if there was some grass stuck in the tire and was rubbing the fender liner each time it went around, but I checked both rear wheels and couldn't see anything out of place. I also started noticing that during tight turns in 1st gear, that whishing sound turned into a squeaking sounds. I don't know what it could be, but I hope it's something easy and cheap. Anybody have any ideas what it could be? It sounds like it's coming from the driver side in the rear, but it could be from the passenger side for all I know and I'm just hearing it through the driver's side window. It doesn't sound like a differential noise, because that's usually more of a constant whine... I just don't have any idea what it could be and waiting for a diagnosis is killing me.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

What did the dealer do? Were they working back there.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a baked pinion gear. Did the grease monkey take it a for a test drive and beat the heii out of it?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Just got off the phone with the dealership and they say it's the clutch packs in the differential. They want $783 plus tax to do the repair. Does this sound reasonable or am I getting raped? I'm thinking about taking it to get a second opinion, but this is what I kind of thought it was and they confirmed it. I just didn't think it would cost that much to repair. I think they said $550 of that is the labor cost. Looks like instead of Konis, I'm getting a stock LSD... sweet!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
Just got off the phone with the dealership and they say it's the clutch packs in the differential. They want $783 plus tax to do the repair. Does this sound reasonable or am I getting raped? I'm thinking about taking it to get a second opinion, but this is what I kind of thought it was and they confirmed it. I just didn't think it would cost that much to repair. I think they said $550 of that is the labor cost. Looks like instead of Konis, I'm getting a stock LSD... sweet!!!
There was actually a TSB for this. I had it fixed in mine under warranty. I'm assuming your out of warranty?
Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Michelle Cole

The price for the repair seems to be in line to me. I had the clutch packs replaced in an F-250 about fifteen years ago and it cost me 500 dollars at that time. With the increased cost since then, that does not seem out of line for a dealer.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the input Michelle.

I am out of warranty, so the TSB doesn't really help me here. I did have my last roommate come into town today and when I told him what was wrong he said it wouldn't be that hard to do ourselves. Anyone know of a write-up for replacing the differential in these cars? I get the feeling this won't be the last time I'll need to replace my clutch packs, so I'm thinking if I can do it myself, I could pay about half the cost of letting the dealership do it and get a TruTrac, which I wouldn't have to replace for a while, if ever. Any input?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Atlanta_Tider
2nd Gear Member

How many miles are on it? When I worked at Ford we would add some GM friction modifier in the rear ends to cure the clutch pack noise, try it and see if it helps before spending that money!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:40 PM
GRABBER CS
3rd Gear Member

Get a detroit tru-trac and gears or upgrade it to something if you have to pay for it!!! You should be able to get the tsb done for free even if it's out of warranty.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:28 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

Wierd sound coming from the rear?

Easy.

Did you have Taco Bell?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weird Sound Coming from the Rear.