Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring/gauges help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 04:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

It's all wired up and "powered", not exactly "working" yet.. didn't forsee needing an expensive adapter for each gauge.. have I said this car is a money pit?? yeah, I think I have... sure is fun to mod though.

Thanks hammer and mudflap for the assist. It wouldn't have been so easy w/o the help. And hopefully this thread helps others that purchase autometer brand tachs, shift lights and gauges.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
It's all wired up and "powered", not exactly "working" yet.. didn't forsee needing an expensive adapter for each gauge.. have I said this car is a money pit?? yeah, I think I have... sure is fun to mod though.

Thanks hammer and mudflap for the assist. It wouldn't have been so easy w/o the help. And hopefully this thread helps others that purchase autometer brand tachs, shift lights and gauges.
So can we get some pics of the finished install?
Old 01-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Sure! I'll post some pics up here when my tach adapter arrives (tomorrow, Thursday) and I get everything working correctly.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Pics as promised.. these aren't the best quality but it's dark outside, I've been working all day and don't feel like screwing with the cam options.

Installing the tachometer adapter was a breeze. Took me all of 10 minutes and now I can run any type of accessory tach I guess. that's cool.

The autometer DPSS shift light is up top (obviously) and fuel pressure down below. I still need my Steeda fuel adapter (should be here monday) to get the fp sender mounted up. that should be a snap too.

I'm really excited about the shift light... as you can see from the pics there are different colors (12 I think) and brightness levels ( I may need to wick it down a bit) this thing is BRIGHT! You can adjust the shift light for launch control (tie into a line-lock) and has different shift points for all 5 gears if required. It's also a "staged" type light that tells you when you're closing in on a shift point and also when you over-rev. It has soooo many options that I'll have to mess with tomorrow. All in all I'm really happy with everything. I plan to put another gauge or two in the vents.. probably one of those that connect into the PCM and monitor everything.. perfect setup I think.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring/gauges help-000_0199.jpg   Wiring/gauges help-000_0200.jpg   Wiring/gauges help-000_0201.jpg   Wiring/gauges help-000_0203.jpg   Wiring/gauges help-000_0205.jpg  

Old 01-22-2009, 07:54 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looks really good. i like having
gauges on that pillar....close to
the eyes and you can just glance
over to see them.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

yeah.... I figured shift and fuel pressure are the most important (constant visual monitoring) gauges you can have, other than maybe A/F and even that should be ok with fuel pressure. I'll either put a 3 gauge pod on the dash or use the "between vents" install so many have favored for A/F when I go FI. boost/af/and temp-type are one's I will add.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 01-22-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

??? Did you just connect all the power wires into the 1 add a circuit???
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Pics as promised.. these aren't the best quality but it's dark outside, I've been working all day and don't feel like screwing with the cam options.

Installing the tachometer adapter was a breeze. Took me all of 10 minutes and now I can run any type of accessory tach I guess. that's cool.

The autometer DPSS shift light is up top (obviously) and fuel pressure down below. I still need my Steeda fuel adapter (should be here monday) to get the fp sender mounted up. that should be a snap too.

I'm really excited about the shift light... as you can see from the pics there are different colors (12 I think) and brightness levels ( I may need to wick it down a bit) this thing is BRIGHT! You can adjust the shift light for launch control (tie into a line-lock) and has different shift points for all 5 gears if required. It's also a "staged" type light that tells you when you're closing in on a shift point and also when you over-rev. It has soooo many options that I'll have to mess with tomorrow. All in all I'm really happy with everything. I plan to put another gauge or two in the vents.. probably one of those that connect into the PCM and monitor everything.. perfect setup I think.
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

this maybe a dumb question but where do u get an add a circuit from? does autozone carry this?

i spent about 4 hours today wiring my wideband, dual interceptors, and lighted sill plates. however i was an idiot and connected the 12v straight off of the battery and now the gauges are on all the time.

i should be okay with an add a fuse into fuse 13 correct?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:38 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

For power to the gauges, I tapped onto the fused side of one of the fuses from the passenger side interior fuse box, the fuse that feeds the heated pcv and something else (the AC I think). It's a key-on power source, and yes, you can add an inline fuse as well. I think I used a 5A one to the gauges.

I don't remember the fuse #.