Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring/gauges help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Default Wiring/gauges help

I'm installing some gauges and wiring the power with an "add-a-circuit" into the passenger compartment fuse block.

Which fuse should I use for the power? in this guide https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ns-o-pics.html

he's using #4 (power mirrors) but goes on to say he actually used the #14 (A/C cycle switch)

and which one for the white wire (dash lighting)? maybe the electrochromatic mirror fuse?

(5. Connect the white wire to dash lighting or switchable 12V light
source.)
Old 01-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

What are you trying to wire up? #13 is a switched power source (ignition on), I used that for my wideband.

To power the light on my boost gauge, I tapped one of the wires on the light switch itself (can't recall which one though). I just turned the headlights on, then stuck my new power wire into the connector until I found the wire that lit it up and switched off when the lights were turned off. Then I tapped it...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the help bro. I actually just got everything powered up. My tap on the ignition coil wasn't good so I'm going to need a smaller gauge wiretap.. not a problem..

both fuel pressure and shift light are now wired up and working but I'll still need to know where to patch the wire to light up the fuel pressure gauge when the lights are on (dashlights, etc).

If you can remember where you patched the light power (white wire) I would love to know. I'll see if I can look up under there and patch into the switch wiring somehow. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Well, I pulled the switch out of the dash (the panel that the dial is in) and tapped into one of the wires in that harness. I believe I had found which wire was the "right" one from one of Hammeron's posts. I just turned the lights on, then took my new wire and jammed it into the connector on that wire and it worked as expected... so I tapped it.

Here is Hammeron's link. Look at the last picture with "pin 2" on it. I believe that is the one I used. Again, you can test it by just shoving the wire in there and trying the switch.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~cookpagi...augePower.html
Old 01-19-2009, 03:13 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Ahh, perfect! Thanks man. Just put everythign back together on the fuse box (passenger) and driver side. I'm on the downhill slide now. Just need to connect the lighting and that link you provided from Hammeron is all I need.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:35 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
Ahh, perfect! Thanks man. Just put everythign back together on the fuse box (passenger) and driver side. I'm on the downhill slide now. Just need to connect the lighting and that link you provided from Hammeron is all I need.

Thanks for the help!
Yellow/Lt Blue
Pin 2 Connector C205 Headlight Switch
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

got it! thanks guys. everything is working and the dash light/gauge light works too.

now I'm in the middle of "calibrating" the shift light. it has a "pulse per revolution" or cylinder cal that you must set. researching that now, but the hard part is done.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Cool man, glad to help. Hammeron's glad he could help too I'm sure, lol.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

UPDATE: after fumbling around with the Autometer Digital Pro Shift System (DPSS) gauge I talked to Colin with Autometer today. It appears that I'm going to need yet ANOTHER (in addition to the sender adapter for the fuel pressure gauge) adapter.

It will require the autometer "tachometer adapter". Just ordered it today and hope I am done spending money on this gauge upgrade! I know I'm going to love the DPSS 2-stage shift light but damn it was expensive!

http://www.autometer.com/techinfo_ne...o=1&pg=1&aid=4
Old 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

nicely done on finding that old
link Mudflap and you reminded me that
i need to move some of those write
ups, to a new server....

yes glad i could help Rubrignitz lol.
glad everything is wired up and
working...

edit: moved the gauge power page, to this new link....

http://home.comcast.net/~cookpaging/...augePower.html

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Cool man, glad to help. Hammeron's glad he could help too I'm sure, lol.

Last edited by hammeron; 01-21-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: added new webpage link