Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using this New Ford Racing Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

you've got the thumpers, hot rods and
i think there is a bbr version that sounds
really nice also

Originally Posted by GeritGoul

anyone have an opinion on the meanest sounding cams?
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The BBR Stage 2 does sound awesome. But they seem to only sell the re-grind on their site. I would never use a re-grind cam. Too many possibilities for problems.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I picked up an honest 20-25 hp and 2 tq PRE TUNE with the cams. Then another 17 hp and 20 tq after tuning.

I wouldn't even care about the hp.. the cams give you so much more high-rpm ooomph that the meager hp gain is just icing on the cake. My car had no top-end with the stock cams.

There is a vid link in my sig if you want to hear what they sound like with an exhaust system. Most of the vids you find are guys running open headers, off road pipes or straight pipes to make it sound really loud.

They have a nice rump rump rump at idle. They're expensive yes, but when guys are paying $300 for pulleys and getting less than a 5hp gain, and then only in the upper rpm range?? Makes much more sense when you think about it that way.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it's nerve racking enough just trusting
that frpp boxes up the right cams, let
alone some kid in the wharehouse, on a
friday afternoon.

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
The BBR Stage 2 does sound awesome. But they seem to only sell the re-grind on their site. I would never use a re-grind cam. Too many possibilities for problems.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
I picked up an honest 20-25 hp and 2 tq PRE TUNE with the cams. Then another 17 hp and 20 tq after tuning.

Mike Murillo FTW!

Originally Posted by Rubrignitz
They're expensive yes, but when guys are paying $300 for pulleys and getting less than a 5hp gain, and then only in the upper rpm range?? Makes much more sense when you think about it that way.

+1. I thought the same about delete plates. I bought some Steeda billet delete plates but for the very low gains + price ($300) + the install made me realize they're just not worth it. So I sent them back and got Brenspeed to only charge me a 10% restocking fee instead of their usual 20%.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 01-26-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:57 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
it's nerve racking enough just trusting
that frpp boxes up the right cams, let
alone some kid in the wharehouse, on a
friday afternoon.

Yeah I thought about that too. A packaging mistake or just a defective build could cause engine failure in a bad way. Scary.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:08 PM
mds08
1st Gear Member

I'm running the new cams from Ford Racing. They are awesome and sound great with Mac mufflers,FRPP X pipe and BBK short tube headers. I also have a dyno tune, udp, and cai. I'm running a 355 gears with a hurst shifter. No problems everything runs great. I would recommend short tube headers with this set up for the low end torque gains. I lost a little low end torque after the install of the cams and tune but made up for it with the shorties. I know long tubes will give more power in the top end but I could not justify the higher cost and install for @10 more ponies and didn't want it to be any louder than it is. I hope this helps and if not just ask away.

Last edited by mds08; 01-26-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:34 PM
nv4gt ws
2nd Gear Member

mds08 stang does sound good, i heard it first hand.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Yeah I can see how tuned shorty headers would work well with cams that may lose a little on the low end.

Maybe that would help the low end loss of the Thumprs? I've never seen any low end loss with the Hot Rods from the dyno sheets I've seen.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 AM
mds08
1st Gear Member

I noticed a little low end torque after the cams were installed but the dyno tune fixed it. A week later I put the shorties on and WOW this thing pull hard out the hole and the sound is amazing. I have the Mac mufflers which do tend to drone some,but after the headers no more drone. I felt the improvement with the cams and I think more with the headers.

Quick Reply: Anyone using this New Ford Racing Cam?