Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there any way to add Traction control, ABS? Do I need them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
logicbombx
2nd Gear Member

Default Is there any way to add Traction control, ABS? Do I need them?

Is there any way to add Traction control, ABS? Do I need them?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Dont hit the tcs off button?
Dont all mustangs have both? I would recommend ABS after last monday, i got rear ended and the only sound i heard were tires locking up beind me, im 99% sure if that old car had abs it would have been either just a close call or way less damage.

I dont really have any helpfull into but id imagine adding abs would be possible and not too difficult, just gotta get the abs unit i think.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

If you don't have it, I doubt it. The ABS and TCS are both run through the car's ECU, I'm pretty sure.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:45 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

i never had a problem when i had my v6 without the pony package. and without the pony package you get standard power brakes only, no abs function. you should be fine. not sure how much $$$ it would take to put abs on them.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:51 PM
logicbombx
2nd Gear Member

Just wondering if it is something I can buy and install
Old 02-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Bluestang07
1st Gear Member

You should be fine, as long as you know your car's limits and capabilities. I remember the old days when you were lucky if you had a seat belt!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Dreamfaction

Unhappy No Traction Control No ABS!!!

I have a 2005 v6 Automatic Convertible and it is a Premium package mustang but it does not have traction control or abs and the slightest bit of water on the road and this thing is hard to drive, wheel spins on any painted stripes, turning a corner is white knuckle dangerous.

Turned a corner in a parking garage at 2mph and slide it into a curb wrecking the front rim and knocking the alignment way out of wack. At Highway speeds, you cannot take a mild curve over 50mph without feeling like your gonna bite it.

My first car was a 1965 mustang, 289 v8 high-po, 4bbl, t-6 sync 4 speed, traction-lock and this 2005 may actually handle worse, any quick/emergency breaking and hold on it's time for a power slide!!! Not to mention the stock discs warp so bad in just 39,000 mild miles I have turned them twice and replace them all twice.

Looking to upgrade to GT, Shelby, Rousch, or Saleen setups. An upgrade is absolutely needed, even if I have to go to the dealer. So is it possible? Have anyone done a conversion? Does anyone know the cost? Or give me a quote?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Converting to ABS would require changing all the rotor, adding sensors, changing the master brake cylinder, possibly much more.. It would make more sense to me (imho) to get better tires that to try to add ABS. There is a traction rating on tires, look for the AA rating. Usually the longer the warranty on the tire ( like 60,000 miles) the harder the rubber and the worse they are in water.
I used General Tire Altimax on a 2000 V6 during the winters in WI, never had a problem in snow, ice or rain...without ABS or traction control. These tires are overkill for wet roads, I'm sure you can find something that works well in the rain.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Dream - what, exactly, does your car have on it for tires (mfr, tire model, size, general condition)? What pressure(s) are they inflated to? Has it been lowered, and have suspension or drivetrain modifications of any sort been made? Are the shocks/struts original? How many miles?

How long has it been since you had the '65, and what have you been driving in the meantime?

I really wish people would stop thinking that all of these systems are "magic bullets", always able to step in and iron out all manner of vehicle control difficulties, because they're not. At 2 mph ABS is not going to help you, and because TC is piggybacked on top of the ABS neither will it.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 07-08-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

abs will only help if your slamming on the brakes to the point that they would lockup (ie anti-lock brakeing system)

TCS used the ABS sensors to gauge the tire speed to compair front to back and if the back is spinning so many times more than the front it tells the PCM to pull timming

at 2mph your not going to be spinning the rear tires and your not going to be slamming on the brakes to the point of locking up

though I thought that even on the non-abs mustangs that they had some sensors on the back rotors as I heard that it was used for the speedo along with other changes but maybe that source was wrong and it still measures at the trans

Quick Reply: Is there any way to add Traction control, ABS? Do I need them?