Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two qucik questions, might be purchasing on Monday

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 AM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Default Two qucik questions, might be purchasing on Monday

Hey everyone,
I'm the guy always posting about..."S197's prices going down, what to look for when buying, etc."

Anyways, I went to go look at a light blue(W/D blue) 05' mustang GT 5-speed, the dealer is asking 13.4k and it has 36kmiles. It is a good deal, but I'm not exactly "crazy" about the color...but the deal looks good so far....I am going to take it to a mechanic on monday and the sales guy OR the sales manages didn't know S*** about the car.....all of the questions/flaws I asked them about, they could not answer one.....at the end of my little, "well the rear tires are done, paint chips, etc." speech; the sales manager ended up breaking down and admitting to"OK, ALRIGHT...I don't know anything about this car, but I know how deal cars". Anyways, great deal...not too crazy about the color(but the car is loaded otherwise). But I have two questions:

In the inside of the trunk underneath the carpet.....there is like (I don't know how to describe...) but a "epoxy/adhesive/caulk" patches on the interior rear wheel well's. Then like a lining of epoxy(checked it w/ a magnet and it was not metal) "caulked" in the bottom edges of inside the trunk/wheel well creases.....and both sides had these patches of "reinforcement" spread all over (randomly) the wheels wells and bottom, near the spare tire. I really wish I took pictures of it to post, but I wasn't thinking; but I have seen this "glue/metal" like epoxy on a 06' I was looking at before....but this time, they have this stuff spread all over the place.....and NO ONE up there could even tell me what it was or why it was placed randomly/even there...Do y'all know anything about this stuff? I'm sorry, it is really hard to describe online; but it is darker than the stock paint and DEFIANTLY does not look stock...

Last question, at idle, when I rev it up to 1.8k-2k RPM's and hold the revs there; the car shakes...like pretty noticeably. Only at this certain RPM range...my sister's 170k miles Lexus had this vibration issue at certain RPM's; and it turned into major problems. I'm guessing this is not normal, as well as that random metal epoxy strips/patches in the trunk; I'm just wondering if this is normal? Or something I should be worried about?

So, good deal/miles...but those ^^two things plus worn rear tires, not crazy about the light blue color, and a couple "minor things" that are not serious or expensive...but indicates a "general" lack of car maintenance.....btw three previous owners and the "blue oval certified; 35+ years in business dealership......did not knowing ANYTHING about the car except that they "can get their mechanic to look at it and the mechanic will tell me what all of these probs are; we just know how to talk numbers".....Also the parking brake is either broken, or extremely worn....b/c parking on a slight incline after the test drive, I set the Parking brake and it rolled back....asked the sales guy.."I dunno.."; but I had to put it in gear or pull it up extremely (like, felt like I was going to break it) hard; to get it to work.

I dunno, just wondering if any of y'all could help me out w/ this; b/c my worst fear is a lemon....Sorry for not being specific, and being confusing; its just like 5:30am and its been a he11 of a weekend(stress wise)....any help would be great, thanks guys!

Cheers,
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 AM
East87
4th Gear Member

Buyer's remorse is one of the WORST feelings in the world. Keep looking, and always remember, especially with cars...if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep, wait for the right color to come
along
Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Connie07

Originally Posted by clentonz
In the inside of the trunk underneath the carpet.....there is like (I don't know how to describe...) but a "epoxy/adhesive/caulk" patches on the interior rear wheel well's. Then like a lining of epoxy(checked it w/ a magnet and it was not metal) "caulked" in the bottom edges of inside the trunk/wheel well creases.....and both sides had these patches of "reinforcement" spread all over (randomly) the wheels wells and bottom, near the spare tire. I really wish I took pictures of it to post, but I wasn't thinking; but I have seen this "glue/metal" like epoxy on a 06' I was looking at before....but this time, they have this stuff spread all over the place.....and NO ONE up there could even tell me what it was or why it was placed randomly/even there...Do y'all know anything about this stuff? I'm sorry, it is really hard to describe online; but it is darker than the stock paint and DEFIANTLY does not look stock...

.....Also the parking brake is either broken, or extremely worn....b/c parking on a slight incline after the test drive, I set the Parking brake and it rolled back....asked the sales guy.."I dunno.."; but I had to put it in gear or pull it up extremely (like, felt like I was going to break it) hard; to get it to work.

I dunno, just wondering if any of y'all could help me out w/ this; b/c my worst fear is a lemon....Sorry for not being specific, and being confusing; its just like 5:30am and its been a he11 of a weekend(stress wise)....any help would be great, thanks guys!

Cheers,
Okay, two of the issues you mentioned might be:
the driver was smoking the tires alot and used the epoxy to prevent smoke coming in the back...???

the driver may have used the parking brake to do bootleg-turns, or handbrake turns...

All-in-all, as far as the car goes, she was probably "put up wet."

G'luck
Old 02-15-2009, 04:42 PM
clentonz
1st Gear Member

Smile

Thanks guys,
I was thinking the same thing, I just needed some reassurance to bring me back down to earth; if you know what I mean.

It really is a great deal, but as more and more that I think about it today....:

BALD rear tires~Sales manager said that "Oh our ASE Certified Mechanic doesn't let anything through; especially illegal tires".....I retorted, and said "well Mr. Salesman, I worked for this little company called Discount Tire for about two years, and it is illegal for us to touch any tires less than 8/32;(as I put my quarter on the tire)...this is NOT legal" He didn't have a word to say.....So ya, Connie you are probably right on about all of that; thanks

O yea, I forgot to mention....when we first went in; the salesman said "Well, I'm sure you want to go for a test drive; lets get it", and I said that I wanted to see the Carfax on it(I already had it, but I wanted to "feel" him out and see how he was going to explain the carfax history of the car"..........But anyways, we went inside and he printed out the carfax and came back...I notice that he only brought back 2 of the 3 total Carfax pages...I asked him where the third (3/3) page is, and he said" uhhhhh well....that is just the terms and what not".....(it had the page #'s on the page) So, I'm like BS, I have 3/3 carfax pages right inside my little "car buyers handbook"

But that right there, instantly loss ALL credibility that he was going to say....Because that 3rd carfax page showed 5 more listings; and that it has been trying to sell since oct. of 08'(and that it had Nitrogen in the tires???)....
I just thought that I would incounter some actual intelligence from a dealership stayed in business for "35+years" and "blue oval certified"......??

Sorry for the rant guys, I am just stressing about finding a car(as the price of them will go back up); and when I finally find a great deal(atleast from what I thought)...it turns out to be junk. And I am back where I started...

Again, I don't mean to come off as cocky at all; it was just frustering b/c every single question I asked about the car ended up with...."I dunno" or "My mechanic can look at it".

But thank y'all for the help; y'all probably just save me from making a very expensive mistake

I guess I am just going to have to wait....some more...lol Appreciate every one, and I hope to join y'all on here w/ an actualy Mustang next time ....and I promise I won't talk so much and make all of these long confusing long rants/questions.

Cheers,
Old 02-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sounds a bit high for an '05 with some obvious (and not so obvious) issues.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
pharmd2010
2nd Gear Member

Haha, after seeing the price for this one, I guess I'll just give up trying to sell mine for what I want out of it...
Old 02-15-2009, 09:02 PM
flg2010
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me like you have engine issues and perhaps rear end issues with that 05.

With such low miles it KBBs for 16kish for retail sale and 12k for trade-in.

Mustang's don't hold their value. I plan to trade mine in for a leftover 2010 or 2011 model GT in 2 years. If I can keep my miles under 40k my trade in should be about 17k for a 3 year old GT prem vert.

Wait another year or so beyond that and I'll be lucky to get 12k.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I wrote a really long post but scince my internet connection deleted it. I'll rewrite it another time.

Last edited by Legion5; 02-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

why not a 4V?

Quick Reply: Two qucik questions, might be purchasing on Monday