Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is this happening to hood blanket, plenum cover + strut tower covers (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

myhood blanket dont look like yours either i have an 08, i would just remove the hood blanket
Old 02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suttanstyle
I bought the replacement hood blanket directly from WMS because my stock one had marks too.

Do you think WMS would accept a return on something so problematic/defective after 30 days with these pictures?

I did find tbirddmnd's custom hood liners on eBay, thought the WMS was a better option but now I'm paying for that decision.
No they won't accept a return I'm pretty sure but it's worth a shot. The problem with that hood mat is that it's plastic and sags right where you don't want it to. It doesn't conform to the hood at all and just creates problems. I looked around for a while after having problems and no one made hoodmats other then WMS. Then I found the eBay dude and he had just produced one that same week so it worked out perfect.

To the guy suggesting adjust the hood stops, it won't do anything because the mat is resting on the motor right now because it sags when the plastic heats up. Raising the hood by using the hoodstops won't do anything.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:02 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

well why dont u try getting some 3M dbl sides tape they use on body panels and put some in the spots its rubbing 2 try and hold the mat up...?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zporta
well why dont u try getting some 3M dbl sides tape they use on body panels and put some in the spots its rubbing 2 try and hold the mat up...?
Actually WMS provides you with double-sided tape but the Ford dealer that installed my hood blanket decided not to and threw it away.

I guess I might have to buy some and try this method first.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

well if it works my consultation will only cost u 200$
Old 02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zporta
well if it works my consultation will only cost u 200$
Haha I appreciate your suggestion, I'll let you know if it works.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

ok cool man...and ill appreciate the check... haha i hope it works for u
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
KLO
3rd Gear Member

It won't. Been there done that. I wish I took a pic of how much 3M double sided tape I used. It'll last for a day or so but after a few heat cycles the tape won't hold and you're back to the sagging. Give it a try, it's cheap for a roll and at least you tried but I am speaking from experience.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

It's not his blanket, the same thing happens to me with my stock hood blanket. I've got one long line across the middle of the engine cover as you can see in the pic, but there are a couple of other spots too that I don't have pics of. It's really frustrating, because I don't think there is any way to fix it other than getting a new hood blanket. Do you think this might be covered under warranty?
Attached Thumbnails Why is this happening to hood blanket, plenum cover + strut tower covers (56k beware)-engine-cover3.jpg  

Last edited by Stealth; 02-25-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:44 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

I had the same issue with my stock 05 GT hood blanket. I ordered an 07 GT hood blanket from RockAuto.com. The design changed and the newer one had more "indentations" that pull it closer to the bottom of the hood away from the plenum cover and strut tower covers. I caught it right when it started and haven't had the problem since - 7 + months. Get the newer hood blanket.

Quick Reply: Why is this happening to hood blanket, plenum cover + strut tower covers (56k beware)