Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIP: My Mustang GT500KR Conversion *PICS*

Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default WIP: My Mustang GT500KR Conversion

Hey MF'ers,

I'm planning on converting my black 2008 GT into a GT500KR clone.

I know that there is a LOT of controversy from many enthusiasts on this matter, but, in the end, it is my money, my car, and my likings, so I want to see this through. I have a LOT of questions, an hopefully you guys can help me out, and this thread can be used as a reference for others in my shoes! I appreciate everything in advance. =)

Updated Parts List:

Exterior
Front End: GT500 Front End Conversion Kit. $1675 from Kevin.
Lower Grill w/ Brake cooling bezels: W/O the full kit for now. $335 from Shelby Performance Parts.
Hood: Trufiber Venom Hood w/ Twist Pins. $850 from Kevin.
Spoiler: Going with the GT500 instead of the V6. $115 from eBay.
Rear Bumper: GT/CS & Shelby GT Accessory Repair Bumper (6R3Z-6320049-BA).
Badges: Regular Cobra are part of the accessory repair kit, or get them custom made through Austin Barnett.
Quarter Side Scoops: $185 from Kevin.
Front Wind Splitter: Carbon Fiber.
Mirror Caps:
Carbon Fiber. $200 from partscheap.com.
Side Rockers: Matte black V6?
Wheels: 2x 20x9 and 2x 20x10 Alcoa's. About $2000 from Shelby Performance Parts.

Interior
Steering Wheel: GT500. About $400 from partscheap.com
Seats: GT500 w/ Shelby Headrests through Dealer?

Current Total: $7450

Any light that could be spread on this entire project would be very helpful, as well as where I can obtain the right parts for a decent price.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Last edited by Xeremeh; 03-11-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Updated list
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

The prototype KR had a GT500 spoiler, the production models use a V6 spoiler. You'll also need V6 Rocker moldings. The rear fascia is standard GT500 fare. Front bumper is GT500, the lower grill will need to be cut for the cooling ducts (and bezels purchased), and you'll need the KR front splitter (this may be the same as the SuperSnake). The hood you want is the TruFiber Venom (not sure what version, probably 3) the GTS is for the regular front end, not the GT500. You can get the Cobra badges, but I'm fairly certain you will not be able to find the KR specific 'wings' that go with it. You'll also need the faux gas cap and the lettering. I'm pretty sure this is right.

edit: apparently I'm wrong on a couple minor things.

Last edited by Kotobuki; 03-10-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:19 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Ok, you got some of this right however here are the corrections and Items needed.

1. GT500 front end conversion kit, you can get this full kit from Kevin who is a fords part dealer who stocks this full kit. (Parts Manager Clevenger Ford Lincoln Mercury Work Ph# 1-800-570-5554 Ask For KC) Give him a call and he can hook you up. (how to install if yourself *with pictures http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=438557

2. The hood your looking for is the Trufiber Vemon Hood with twist pins. Kevin also sells these too. Ash him and he will make you a package deal

3. The spoiler is a V6 one and Kevin can also get this for you.

4. The rear bumper cover is a GT500 or GT/CS bumper. "Both are the very same bumper" you want the accessory repair one: 6R3Z-6320049-BA GT/CS & Shelby Gt Accessory Rear Bumper, this bumper is a lot less in price than the GT500 one and its the VERY SAME ONE, also Kevin can get this for you too.

5. Badges you can not get the KR badges shelby and Ford will not sell them to you with out you owning a real KR. But, you can get your Cobra badges from Kevin too are part of your package.

6. The front wind spliter, & mirror caps are carbin fiber, Kevin may be able to hook you up with these too. If not check with Trufiber I beleave they have them all.
(note: side rockers are matt black V6 ones)

7. The KR/SS lower gill with the brake cooling bezels, you most likely will have to order is threw Shelby performance parts site as I did.

8. Wheels, Alcoa's the KR comes with 18"'s but if I were you I would get them in 20". The 18"'s look like crap.

9. On your motor, keep cheaking Ebay they have been selling used low mileage 5.4's with trans, CPU and wireing (complete package) for very good prices

Last edited by CutterWolf; 03-10-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Ok, you got some of this right however here are the corrections and Items needed.

1. GT500 front end conversion kit, you can get this full kit from Kevin who is a fords part dealer who stocks this full kit. (Parts Manager Clevenger Ford Lincoln Mercury Work Ph# 1-800-570-5554 Ask For KC) Give him a call and he can hook you up. (how to install if yourself *with pictures http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=438557

2. The hood your looking for is the Trufiber Vemon Hood with twist pins. Kevin also sells these too. Ash him and he will make you a package deal

4. The rear bumper cover is a GT500 or GT/CS bumper. "Both are the very same bumper" you want the accessory repair one: 6R3Z-6320049-BA GT/CS & Shelby Gt Accessory Rear Bumper, this bumper is a lot less in price than the GT500 one and its the VERY SAME ONE, also Kevin can get this for you too.

5. Badges you can not get the KR badges shelby and Ford will not sell them to you with out you owning a real KR. But, you can get your Cobra badges from Kevin too are part of your package.

6. The front wind spliter, & mirror caps are carbin fiber, Kevin may be able to hook you up with these too. If not check with Trufiber I beleave they have them all.

7. The KR/SS lower gill with the brake cooling bezels, you most likely will have to order is threw Shelby performance parts site as I did.

8. Wheels, Alcoa's the KR comes with 18"'s but if I were you I would get them in 20". The 18"'s look like crap.

9. On your motor, keep cheaking Ebay they have been selling used low mileage 5.4's with trans, CPU and wireing (complete package) for very good prices
Hey Cutter,

Much appreciated as always, bud.

For the badges, are there any aftermarket stores that will sell the KR versions, do you think? And does Kevin part with the SHELBY lettering?

As far as wheels, yeah, I was having a hard time finding 18's anyways, so 20's was what I was going to put on. I am thinking 9s and 10s for a staggered setup as well for some +handling.

Also, is there any specific vehicle I should look for the 5.4 to come out of? I'm gonna be doing some looksie-ing with my buddy this weekend.

Last edited by Xeremeh; 03-10-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Last line
Old 03-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf

Cutter, did you replace or add the side rocker panels on yours?

TBO, I have completely forgotten about them and am wondering if I should do it at all. Car goes to the painter on Monday....

One other thing I've been meaning to ask you guys....did any of you all using the TruFiber hood do anything around where the hood prop holds the hood up? I'm thinking its obviously an area of high 'wear' and could easily get scratched often. I was thinking of fabricating some sort of metal piece to attach over the stock location with the hole cut out for the rod to fit in. I'm thinking this would reduce any possibility of scratching by alot, but I am curious if any of you all did anything similar or just dont worry about it.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti; 03-10-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Nobody will ever sell the 18" wheels, this is designed that way.

You can get a company to make the KR badges for you, should be $400, talk to cutterwolf to get help on hat.

the interior uses a GT500 steering wheel and shelby headrests which you can buy, as well as GT500 seats (available through your dealer , possibly as just leather seat covers).

The side skirts are not matte black they are carbon fiber. The mirrors are also covered in carbon fiber pieces available through shelby.

I'd drop the 5.4 engine and transmission because the transmission is geared for a truck and the engine is so incredibly heavy that it automatically reduces your cornering and acceleration by 12% by just having it.

Instead get the Viper transmission for $3000
Then the Techco 5.0 stroker and cam setup, and a Saleen supercharger. $10,000

You'll be making 700 horsepower safely and shifting like you have 800 horsepower as proven by .5 second quarter mile advantages with the viper tranny.

For the suspension get the Saleen suspension kit and Techco watts link, this will result in a smooth ride and the whole above package together has been track proven to only be a few car lengths behind an enzo.

I don't know about the KR but the Super Snake, a more powerful version of the KR uses Shelby Coilovers and shelby sold suspention bars. My shop has built a Super Snake and it looks like more like what you're trying to put together.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-10-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
Hey Cutter,

Much appreciated as always, bud.

For the badges, are there any aftermarket stores that will sell the KR versions, do you think? And does Kevin part with the SHELBY lettering?

As far as wheels, yeah, I was having a hard time finding 18's anyways, so 20's was what I was going to put on. I am thinking 9s and 10s for a staggered setup as well for some +handling.
There are no aftermarket stores that sell these either, reason being "copy right".

However, if you want to have custom billet badges made that are "simular" but not the same so you do not have any issues with copy rights contact Austin Barnett austinbarnett@charter.net He made mine and they are show quality badges. You will need to supply him with what you want them to say and since he already knows the size from mine you should be good to go. If you want you can tell him I sent you to him, Just tell him I'm the guy he made the GT/SS badges for.

@Andretti, No I did not replace mine because of the way I painted my rear bumper. It just would not flow right if my side rockers where black.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
Nobody will ever sell the 18" wheels, this is designed that way.

You can get a company to make the KR badges for you, should be $400, talk to cutterwolf to get help on hat.

the interior uses a GT500 steering wheel and shelby headrests which you can buy, as well as GT500 seats (available through your dealer , possibly as just leather seat covers).

The side skirts are not matte black they are carbon fiber. The mirrors are also covered in carbon fiber pieces available through shelby.

I'd drop the 5.4 engine and transmission because the transmission is geared for a truck and the engine is so incredibly heavy that it automatically reduces your cornering and acceleration by 12% by just having it.

Instead get the Viper transmission for $3000
Then the Techco 5.0 stroker and cam setup, and a Saleen supercharger. $10,000

You'll be making 700 horsepower safely and shifting like you have 800 horsepower as proven by .5 second quarter mile advantages.

For the suspension get the Saleen suspension kit and Techco watts link, this will result in a smooth ride and the whole above package together has been track proven to only be a few car lengths behind an enzo.

I don't know about the KR but the Super Snake, a more powerful version of the KR uses Shelby Coilovers and shelby sold bars. My shop has built a Super Snake and it looks like more like what you're trying to put together.
Hey,

Thanks for the advice all around. As you saw, I'm not looking to exactly mirror the performance specs of the KR under the hood. Other drop-ins would be fine for me. However, one of the main goals of this project is for me to complete it by myself (or with a friend or two). I have a shop on post that rents out any type of bays for cheap and all tools for free, so I have access, I just need knowledge, will, and cash.

Performance is actually the last on my list, as I have a few mods already working on that I'd be heartbroken if I had to swap out immediately, so appearance is first up. I'm about to head in to work, but I'll do a compilation of everything noted here for appearance and throw it up in the original post when I get done. If you guys can think of anything else all-over (including engine/sc/tranny combos, etc.), I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jer
Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Go here, http://www.alabamaford.com/tcr-roush.php scroll down to you see the video of the GT500KR. This dealship has two on it lot right now. I'm 99% sure the side rockers are not carbon fiber as you can see and hear on this video. You can always just give them a call and have the check just to make sure.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:25 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

Is your color the G5? Because I'm about to sell my V6 spoiler on Ebay if you're interested for pretty cheap...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WIP: My Mustang GT500KR Conversion *PICS*