Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Car Keeps Pulling to the Left?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Default Help Car Keeps Pulling to the Left?

My 05 keeps drifting to the left but can't figure out why. I have 18 X 10 in the back and 18x 9 in the front AMERICAN Racing SHELBY TORQ THRUST M.

The car was aligned with the aftermarket wheels. Leave the dealership get up to about 60 mph and relax your wrist and the car will change lanes to the left. I called up Tirerack figuring maybe it was a bad left front tire, they replace the tire car still does the same thing. I then get both rims on the left side replace still same problem.

I take the car back to the dealership with the stock wheels on to have it aligned again because that's what they wanted to do to check it. Leave the dealership everything is fine no pulling to the left.

I wait two or three days put the aftermarket wheels back on and the pulling starts again. I can't figure out what is causing this and I'm out of ideas. Wheels are brand new and so are the tires. I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GS 295/45/18 on the back and 255/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season XL on the front. All tires are running 32 PSI and were balanced.

Any ideas what could cause this or how to fix it?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Will it pull when on smooth roads, either lane? My 275/40/18 Eagle F1 A/S's will tramline bad even on roads that don't look rutted from truck traffic. Also, I had a bad tire from Tirerack that caused vibration and was only determined to be defective by doing a RoadForce balance at my Ford dealership. The standard balance did not detect it. Lastly (and this would be more vibration related), have you removed the clips on the wheel studs? There are typically 1 or 2 of these clips but sometimes none at all at each wheel. These were a production line "aide" and have no use. They tend to wreak havoc with aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

Check the left tire pressure. If it's low, pus some air in it and see if that helps. I've noticed my car was pulling to the right a bit.. I thought it was the allignment, but my steering wheel was straight and it was pulling. So I checked the air pressure. Let and behold the PSI in my right tire was at 29.. inflated the tire a bit and it stopped. Hope that helps. If not, it might be the alignment.. They go out of whack fast, especially when you hit those damn pot holes, or bumps on the highway.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Will it pull when on smooth roads, either lane? My 275/40/18 Eagle F1 A/S's will tramline bad even on roads that don't look rutted from truck traffic. Also, I had a bad tire from Tirerack that caused vibration and was only determined to be defective by doing a RoadForce balance at my Ford dealership. The standard balance did not detect it. Lastly (and this would be more vibration related), have you removed the clips on the wheel studs? There are typically 1 or 2 of these clips but sometimes none at all at each wheel. These were a production line "aide" and have no use. They tend to wreak havoc with aftermarket wheels.
It pulls on any road smooth rough or otherwise no matter the lane. I haven't heard of these clips on the wheel studs what do they look like?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eddypython
Check the left tire pressure. If it's low, pus some air in it and see if that helps. I've noticed my car was pulling to the right a bit.. I thought it was the allignment, but my steering wheel was straight and it was pulling. So I checked the air pressure. Let and behold the PSI in my right tire was at 29.. inflated the tire a bit and it stopped. Hope that helps. If not, it might be the alignment.. They go out of whack fast, especially when you hit those damn pot holes, or bumps on the highway.
Did you read the whole post? All of that has already been addressed.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Here's a thread with pics. You can rip them off with a pair of needlenose pliers or whatever.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...clips-off.html
Old 03-15-2009, 05:06 PM
peter north
2nd Gear Member

check your rotors they might be bend thats why their casuing your stang to pull to the left. I just replace the rotors and calipers because my stang kept pulling to the right when i used to brake so i took it for a ailgment and they told me that whats the promblem? my right side rotors,calipers and brakes pads were gone & frozen so basically when i was braking my left side were the only brake working causing the car to swirl right.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Here's a thread with pics. You can rip them off with a pair of needlenose pliers or whatever.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...clips-off.html
Thanks I'll take the wheels off and put those off but I doubt it is causing the pulling problem but could be the cause of some vibration in the steering wheel.

As far as the brakes go it is not related to stepping on the brakes it pulls all the time with no pressure applied to the bakes.

Any other input greatly appreciated.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since it runs true with the stock wheels then it MUST be something with the new wheels and tires. The only thing I can think of is a RoadForce balance which will analyze the tire AND the wheel. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what it looks at specifically that would point to something that would cause you to pull. The problem that the RoadForce found for me was a tire with a defective belt (the tire would roll and the pavement would contact the bad belt location and the tire wouldn't give as much as the rest of the circumference of the tire, causing it to almost "hop").
Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Double post...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Car Keeps Pulling to the Left?