Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help on which supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the vortech kits and most other SC kits come w/ a bypass valve. the BOV does esentially the same thing but BOV releases the pressure in the intake into the atmosphere giving it that BOV sound like a turbo. if you want to spend some extra money for that, then thats cool. i've spent money getting the exhaust to sound just right, same reasoning i guess.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

for install price should be around 1k give or take a few hundred.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:39 PM
paydirt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Margarita Girl
I think the twin screw Roushcharger and Saleen are safe choices.

The Vortech seems to have the lowest price.

You can get some serious boost out of a Procharger.
only if you spend serious cash to upgrade the head unit. People overlook the fact that the paxton HO kit that brenspeed sells supports up to 900whp. Of course you have to upgrade parts of the fuel system and driveline to reach these levels but for the most upgradeable the paxton kit seems to be the best bang for your buck.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

Vortech, Procharger, and Paxton are all comparable, cant go wrong with any of them. For the BOV you just have to find one you like and give it to your installer and they will put it on.

If I was in NJ I wouldnt go to any shop other than JDM.

Good Luck.

Oh and if you want opinions on an SC, I would buy the Procharger P1sc HO Kit. I like the seperate 8 rib belt for the blower. Should cause less of a chance of belt problems.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

From what I have seen on the Centrifugal superchargers, the kits dont have a seperate blow off valve. I am no expert there by any means however..

My brother just put an STS twin turbo on his vette, and the blow off valve up front sounds pretty damn sweet. I wouldn't call a 650hp vette a ricer either.. blow off valves are part of a good turbo system. I would think that a centri supercharger would have one as well, but I know very little about the kits that are out there... The bypass valve is to limit the boost so you don't go lean and blow your motor, but it wont drop the boost when you go off the throttle - thats what the blow off valve is for, and I can't imagine that is good for the engine to be at boost while dropping back to idle, but what do I know?

From my research, a complete kit with supercharger, intercooler, plugs, injectors, fuel pump, tune, and gauges is going to be at least $7k installed.. There are cheaper setups but they are usually missing a lot and take more boost to make the power (ie vortech without intercooler). I wouldn't feel safe on a stock engine with 8 lbs boost and no intercooler personally.. especially when a turbo or good supercharger done right can get you more horsepower with less boost..

Last edited by dkersten; 03-18-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Sp3kter
1st Gear Member

I am sure the kits come with recirculating valves which is a blow off valve that circulates the air back to the air box. So I see no reson why you could not have a blow off valve that releases the pressure to atmosphere. If the recirculating valve is mounted on a flange you could have a shop cut the flange and have a diffrent flange welded on for the bov you like. By the way the HKS SSQV sounds bad *** I had one on my SRT-4 and tryed a bunch of others and it was by far the best sounding and performing.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
06 Gt on 20s
2nd Gear Member

I think I am just gonna go to JDM and tell them what I want to do and see how much they will charge.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
06 Gt on 20s
2nd Gear Member

If you were to choose one of the vortech or paxton kits from brenspeed which would you get? Right now my only mods are headers, udp, and steeda exhaust and i dont plan on doing any other mods
Old 03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

there is actually no reason to ever get a vortech or another centri over a modern turbo (centris even sound like an internally vented turbo).

Here's a analysis I put together comparing various types of power adders:

All of these are running equivalent levels of boost, except for the turbo who's waste gate is kicking in too late to be the best equivalent. All intercooled. All costing $4500

Yellow = Twin Screw
Black = Centri
Red = Turbo

A turbonetics or STS turbo will be better in every measurable and conceivable way to get what you want and there will be absolutely no downsides compared to a centri.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Watch my drift video and turn it up, my Paxton H.O. whistles, screams and blows out all you want. Link in the sig. Let me know if it works for you.

Quick Reply: Need some help on which supercharger