Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering and pinion angle

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

quick question - - i am lowered with the pro kit .... do i need to worry about adjusting this ? ? if so, what should I do, (i only have the prokit (springs) no lca/uca/shocks etc..) I do not plan to purchase any more suspension upgrades until next summer and i have driven probably 8k miles since i installed the pro kit.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

And you can find angle finders super cheap on ebay. Assuming you are having the car aligned afterwords, adjusting pinion angle is not part of a regular alignment. Let the shop know if you have any adjustable parts in the rear so they know to look, and adjust.
You might need some camber bolts to set the front camber after lowering also.
One thing leads to another, it never ends, lol.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:34 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stoenr
One thing leads to another, it never ends, lol.
Well spoken.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:35 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

ok i changed my mind again.

i just ordered:

-Steeda Ultralights
-Tokico HP shocks/struts
-BMR Adjustable Lower Control arms
-BMR Relocation Brackets
-Camber Bolts
-Little tube of lube for the LCAs

I still have to find a little angle finder, no big deal. also, i have been reading up on pinion angles and i feel i am pretty good checking and changing it now. I am going to set the pinion angle around -2.5

i still have 5 weeks till the install. i am grabbing 5 friends to help with the install, most are car guys.

right now i am going to hold off on the pan. bar. if it needs to be shifted back over i will do it later on down the road, its a very easy install. i feel i made some wise choices, and i should be very happy with the results.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06stangGT
quick question - - i am lowered with the pro kit .... do i need to worry about adjusting this ? ? if so, what should I do, (i only have the prokit (springs) no lca/uca/shocks etc..) I do not plan to purchase any more suspension upgrades until next summer and i have driven probably 8k miles since i installed the pro kit.
well it depends on who you ask. i have done more research on this then i ever wanted to do. to lower the car right, have it hook, and handle nice; you need to do shocks/struts, pan. bar, LCAs, UCA, sway bars, camber bolts, pinion angle adjusted(either by adjusting the UCA or LCA) and so on..... with the springs.

on a smaller drop like Roush rears, you really dont have to worry about the pinion angle. but on more severe drops like pro-kit, sportlines, steedas, and more. it is suggested and a good idea to reset the pinion angle because of the drop. some people will argue and say you don't have to worry about the pinion.

also, your LCAs are at a downward angle because of the drop. when you get on the car, the angle of the LCAs push the rear axle up which greatly reduces traction. to change the instant center back to normal (level with the ground) you need relocation brackets.

basically if you are serious about suspension or want everything to be correct and working together like a fine tuned suspension should, you need the works. one things leads to another is right!!!!!

this is a summary of what i have found while researching what suspension parts i wanted.

Last edited by StickShifty; 03-21-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:33 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StickShifty
basically if you are serious about suspension or want everything to be correct and working together like a fine tuned suspension should, you need the works. one things leads to another is right!!!!!
I upgraded everything except my UCA.

Last edited by degeze; 03-22-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:57 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Can you post links to anything good you've found on measuring & fixing the pinion angle?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Can you post links to anything good you've found on measuring & fixing the pinion angle?
http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/LCA%20_adj.htm
Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

good link, i see that link on every mustang forum, come across it all the time
Old 03-22-2009, 06:20 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

http://www.revver.com/video/874079/s...-2005-mustang/

good video of pinion angle on a S197. the pinion flange in that video is different then my car, it might be aftermarket. but the concept is the same.

i have changed my mind about the springs i am doing. i changed to FRPP, i have to call steeda tomorrow and cancel my order. decided i want a slightly bigger drop.

some people change the upper control arm with an adjustable, but some change the pinion angle with lowers. i have read several times that the best control arm setup is fixed lowers, and an adjustable upper. why, i dont know, i dont see the logic behind it. i found you can ask several people about setups, and you will get several different answers.

Quick Reply: lowering and pinion angle