Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My belt popped off! help!

Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Alright, I'm no mechanic, but...

You put a bad belt back on your car so you can run the engine to cool it off? Does that sound wrong to anyone else?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
Alright, I'm no mechanic, but...

You put a bad belt back on your car so you can run the engine to cool it off? Does that sound wrong to anyone else?
Running with a bad belt is better than running with no belt. No belt means the water pump is not spinning.

I'd check your idler pulleys, both the smooth ones and the groved one. Just spin them with the belt off or remove them to inspect the bearings. One of mine had the bearings actually start to come out. The whole bearing assembly looked crooked in the pulley.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM
digitalcos
3rd Gear Member

Well, yeah, running with no belt is a bad idea. The belt flying off is bad. But, to put the belt back on so you can run the engine to cool it? Wouldn't it make more sense to let the engine cool off by, I don't know, not running the engine? Why not wait for it to cool off, then put the belt back on?

Like I said, I'm no mechanic, but I gotta say, that just doesn't make sense to me. If I'm way wrong then just tell me to shut up. It wouldn't be the first time.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:05 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by digitalcos
Well, yeah, running with no belt is a bad idea. The belt flying off is bad. But, to put the belt back on so you can run the engine to cool it? Wouldn't it make more sense to let the engine cool off by, I don't know, not running the engine? Why not wait for it to cool off, then put the belt back on?

Like I said, I'm no mechanic, but I gotta say, that just doesn't make sense to me. If I'm way wrong then just tell me to shut up. It wouldn't be the first time.
I had to drive the car to get a new belt since its my DD.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda Idler pullies

Originally Posted by moosestang
Running with a bad belt is better than running with no belt. No belt means the water pump is not spinning.

I'd check your idler pulleys, both the smooth ones and the groved one. Just spin them with the belt off or remove them to inspect the bearings. One of mine had the bearings actually start to come out. The whole bearing assembly looked crooked in the pulley.
I actually found Steeda idler pullies. They look like more of an engine dress up item but, if I have a bad pully, would it be beneficial to replace with one of these? They look like they're built fairly well.

has anybody installed these yet?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
clearym
2nd Gear Member

Default Steeda UDP failed

After shredding three belts and not finding the problem, I realized the rubber portion of the UDP was deteriorating, causing the the pully to spin out of true. This was after 2 years and about 20k miles. I put the stock arrangement back on and asked Steeda if they warranty it. No reply yet.