Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat not wearing well.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikes08gt
Hey Smooth, I do have airbags in them, why do you ask? I am going to call the dealer on Monday to see what they say. Thanks.
I am not sure you can do the swap then

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_le...t_airbags.aspx

Its a "new" set, but like everyone said - try the dealer first. I know the dealer cannot add some foam to the bottom due to safety reasons, but they make be able to with the sides.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Thumbs up

I have been noticing for a few months now that after I drive for a while that the leather on the seat back is starting to compress in the shoulder area of my seat. I do drive alot, I now have 45000 miles on my car and I am a pretty big guy, 6'2" and about 225 lbs. I have had cars in the past and the seats were the last thing that wore out, I feel this is a little premature. I have an extended warrantee from Ford, I don't know if they would cover this or not? Any help would be appreciated.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...ure12924-4.jpg
I've had my drivers side done top and bottom free under extended warranty.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:30 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

your dealer should replace the seat for you... it's compressed the foam underneath and this should not have happened for many years
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

^ Exactly what I was thinking. The foam is deteriorated to the point its just gone in that area. The dealer should fix it. You could ask what it would cost to fix at an upholstery shop.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Update please.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM
mikes08gt

Well, I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and they looked at it but they said they didn't think Ford would warrantee it, they are making arrangements for a representitve to look at it. They advised me to clean up the interior a bit before they look at it. I am not the cleanest person. If they do change it, they will only do the seat back not the bottom because there is a burn in the leather on the bottom. The bottom isn't as compressed as the seat back, he said there is definitely a problem with the foam. I am out of the standard warrantee but I do have a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warrantee. I will keep you posted once they call me too look at it.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Well, I took it to the dealer on Tuesday and they looked at it but they said they didn't think Ford would warrantee it, they are making arrangements for a representitve to look at it. They advised me to clean up the interior a bit before they look at it. I am not the cleanest person. If they do change it, they will only do the seat back not the bottom because there is a burn in the leather on the bottom. The bottom isn't as compressed as the seat back, he said there is definitely a problem with the foam. I am out of the standard warrantee but I do have a 7 year 100,000 mile extended warrantee. I will keep you posted once they call me too look at it.
They possibly will replace it, but who knows. If anything they will just add more foam to the back of the seat.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

That does look bad. IN both of my Mustangs just under my right shoulder blade in the back I can feel the foam has shifted kinda exposing a metal bar. I believe it is because of the way I sit and having to shift. I have the cloth seats also. I am going to have it all redone by a leather shop anyways.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:54 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

they took a picture of mine and sent it to Michigan where it was determine to give me the new leather. Blah! on your dealership. take it to another dealer.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM
mikes08gt

UPDATE..... I met with the factory rep today, he looked at the seat and agreed that that shouldn't have happened, he authorized replacement of not only the back section but the bottom too. He said that they had some trouble with the foam delaminating and caused it to compress prematurely. The service manager kept pointing out that there was a burn in the bottom part of the seat and the rep said well, the burn didn't cause the foam to compress, just change the both parts. So, they ordered it today, should be in within a week or so, I told him there was no rush, actually I would prefer to wait until the weather gets warmer, I heard alot of times the warmer the weather the the better the installation goes, so we will see, I will keep everyone posted. Thanks to all who pushed me to complain about it.

Quick Reply: Seat not wearing well.