Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help with 1/4 mile

I need help getting in the 12s range. I went to the track Saturday and I ran a 13.414 @ 108.3 my 60' was 2.115. That is my best time to date and I achieved that with coaching from the track Official. My only power mod is the Steeda CMDPs. I also have the Steeda sport springs and the BMR relocate bracket. With a trap speed of 108.3 I think I can be in the 12s with the right tires and practice. I don't want to add any more power mods until I get the best time out of what I have. What I am looking for is a good set of street tires that can hook and push me down the track in the high to mid 12s. I am running stock 18" BFgoodrich KDWS, but I will need new tires soon anyway. I would like to get a set of M/Ts, but right now I need street tires. Any suggestion on wheels, tires or even suspension upgrade would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM
moburto07GT
2nd Gear Member

your best bet is to buy 2 stock 17" wheels from brenspeed with slicks or drag radials... as far as suspension mods go, i would suggest new adjustable LCAs and an UCA...that should get you into the high 12s... as far as brand goes, you can go with BMR... i personally am going with CHE for my LCA and UCA...
Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

I know M/T ET streets will get me there, but I was hoping street tires would get me close. M/Ts are on my list of mods I just can't get them right now. I am running low on tread so street tires are next. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Get some Nitto 555R drag radials. Your trap speed is really high are you powershifting or granny shifting? I ran the time in my sig with just a CAI and tune and short throw shifter. Also on crappy stock BFG tires and 3.31 gears. Lower your tire PSI to 15, power shift, 60 ft is pretty good as is. You should be low, low 13's with just those tips...
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

You need to get that 60' down try launching at different RPM's and see if you can get it down below a 2.0.

Should be able to get it at least to a 1.9x, possibly a 1.8x which would put you in very bottom 13's or high 12's.

Many people will tell you otherwise, but the trick for me to get below a 2.0 was to get the rear tires in the water box (it makes it much easier to do a burnout which means it will be more effective), then launch at 2000 or a bit more RPM. I have an automatic though, so you may be able to launch a bit higher but it's difficult to say.

Last edited by gburke1; 03-23-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

just heard CHE is no longer making control arms btw this is the email they sent someone

Effective immediately, CHE Performance Products will no longer be manufacturing any control arms.
Will are going to shift our operation to focus and expand upon our chassis and suspension bracing offerings.
We regret any inconveniences this presents, and look forward to your continued support.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.
Chuck Dworek
CHE Performance Products
Old 03-24-2009, 08:40 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

You can easily run a 12 with your current setup (108 mph is more than enough). Just takes consistent seat time. How many passes have you made in the Bullit? More importantly, how many passes have you made in the last couple of months? Best way to get better is to go consistently. Skipping a couple of monthes in between means you will have to relearn some of the previously gained knowledge.

My guess is that you are getting too excited coming out off the launch. You can get a nice 60' time with street tires, but it takes a lot of discipline with the gas peddle and clutch. You can't be dropping the clutch at 4k and hook on street tires. You have to moderate power with the clutch. You also can't just jam the gas peddle to the floor, you really need to roll into the throttle. Takes some time and practice (and a little faith to be easy on the gas on the launch), but you after you figure it out, you can be cutting 2.00-1.9xs all day.

Trap speed seems good to me. I think some people are forgetting that the Bullit comes with a CAI and 3.73s from the factory.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
chub46
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. Johnboy, I had my tire pressure at 31psi when I made the runs. 15psi sounds low, I think I will start with 25psi and work my way down. I tried power shifting 2nd to 3rd and fishtailed a good way down the track. Now I power shift 3rd to 4th.

gburke1, From now on I will do a burnout in the water. My normal 60' time is 2.3. I made 4 runs on Saturday my last 2 runs the track Official had me put my tires in the water do a burnout then get out of the water and do another burnout. The first 2 runs 60' were 2.3 the last 2 runs my 60' were 2.1.

mikeysGT Thanks for the info I was going to go with the Steeda LCAs. There products seem to work pretty good.

AmericanSpeed, Have you been keeping tabs on me going to the track? I make it to the track maybe once every other month. When I go I will make 3 or 4 passes. Yes I do get excited and let off the clutch too fast. Then I spend the rest of 1st gear trying to keep my tires from spinning. When I shift to second I'm back hard on the gas, then I let up to let the tires catch and back on the gas again. This is a hard habit to break but Its like you said I am not out there enough to pick up any good habits.

Guys I appreciate all the help. If it does not rain I'm planning to go back out this weekend. I will post my results.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

2.3 60' is horrendous man, even on street tires, you have so much ET to drop, an easy 5/10s. I'm telling you, being disciplined on the launch and being conservative with the gas (until you can floor it without spinning) will get you so much better ETs. I know it can be hard as everyone just wants to get up there and slam the gas.

What I did to break my habit, and to see the true benefit of making sure you don't spin the tires, on a run, go extremely easy out of the hole and roll into the throttle. Over-do it so you don't spin. See what happens. I'm telling you, once you get an idea of what it takes to NOT spin, you will have already learned way more than most people who go to the track every once in a while.

Spinning wildly can hurt your top end as well since most people will blow the tires off the line, which causes them to prematurely shift into second, and when they do catch traction, their car is moving very slow which will bog down the engine to the correct rpm for their speed, which typically will be far out of the power band.

When I ran on the stock pirellis, I'd drop down to about 28 psi.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

I've had the best luck with backing the tires into the water, pulling out of the box then doing a burnout rather than doing the burnout IN the water box.

Quick Reply: Need help with 1/4 mile