Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC install price

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Smooth_J
I find one the comments interesting:

Quote:
No overheating issues. I can definitely tell when it is heat soaked though. As the IAT's get higher, my tune pulls timing. I plan on an intercooler upgrade eventually.
He's pushing 11 lbs of boost. I have to say, he's braver than me pushing that much boost on a non-IC kit.

Thanks!
Correct: non-Cooled, no meth, full exhaust, about 11 psi (smaller pulley). I had it tuned by Justin at VMPtuning. Fuel pump couldn't keep up, so there will be more power once I upgrade

Last edited by Mudflap; 03-28-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:33 AM
S197winstang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I bought one of these on eBay but haven't installed it yet. It should work nicely though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...3A1|240%3A1318
that is a nifty little deal. Let me know how it works out for you. If your happy with it and installs in a place you cant see it I am in.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
He's pushing 11 lbs of boost. I have to say, he's braver than me pushing that much boost on a non-IC kit.
LOL...I didn't see that. Thats what happens when you post at, or around 1AM :P

Anyway I am off to JDM and hopefully Big Daddy - see everyone in a bit
Old 03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

You can have traction control turned off in the tune. I believe with the SCT3 it might be a user adjustable setting. With the SCT2 it has to be in the tune itself. The downside to having it shut off in the tune is that you end up having the amber tire tracks showing up in your dash all the time as opposed to just having the button showing as off.

The relay also lets you turn it on if you want on the fly.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Here's my feeble attempt to compare a Saleen vs a Vortech vs your basic naturally aspirated CAI setup. I know there are a lot of variables here - different dynos, different weather, etc. - but I'm using the best data I could find and making estimates where necessary.

The first chart is a JLT CAI dyno data vs Brenspeed's Saleen 475hp kit data vs Mudflap's V3 data. All numbers are read straight from the chart. First thing I notice here is the Saleen data must be from a pretty conservative dyno because I'd expect 475 at the crank to read more than this on a dyno. Regardless, all of the numbers in this chart were read straight from dyno sheets - no massaging here.

This 2nd chart contains some number-massaging so I can get the comparison that I'm looking for. My baseline setup is CAI + longtube headers. So for the CAI numbers, I added 3% to the torque & 5% to the horsepower.

The Saleen I want to consider is the basic 435 hp kit without upgrades, so I scaled down the numbers from the 475 kit by 6.8% and then scaled torque up by 3% and hp up by 5% to estimate the addition of headers.

For Mudflap's V3 numbers, I added 3% to torque and 5% to hp to estimate the impact of longtube headers.

Here's the 2nd chart:

The general trends here look like you'd expect. Both the Saleen & V3 turn the basic Mustang into a completely different beast. The Saleen dominates everything in the lower rpm bands. The V3 comes on more slowly and catches up or passes the Saleen in higher rpm bands.

It would be nice to have more consistent data - same-day tests on the same dyno with the exact setups I'd like to compare. But I did what I could with the data I could find. I think it was interesting.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:27 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Well guess what - I went with the Edelbrock. Its a long story, but to make it short the price was just right to make the switch. I have a appointment on April 20th, and JDM already did one and they scored very high HP ratings.

Also, on a good note, my car maybe in a magazine and may help with the cost a bit more. I will know for sure on Monday

Anyway, I really wanted to go with the vortech, I really did. However after seeing a 700HP+ GT500 at his shop, I figured he knew what he was doing and this setup would help me out some more if I want to have more power later on
Old 03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Awesome. Edelbrock is high on my list based on it not whining at all (I'm not into SC noises) and making pretty good power. Look forward to seeing your results. And jealous your proximity to JDM.

I'm nowhere near any notable shops. DynoJoe is a good 8 hrs away.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shanec
Awesome. Edelbrock is high on my list based on it not whining at all (I'm not into SC noises) and making pretty good power. Look forward to seeing your results. And jealous your proximity to JDM.

I'm nowhere near any notable shops. DynoJoe is a good 8 hrs away.
That guy that had that GT500 was from Virgina, so if you need to drive - its worth it!

Also, I expected a big shop, maybe like 10 bays or whatever, but no. For such a big reputation, you would figure the shop would be bigger :P

Anyway they had quite a few GT500s over there, plus a number of other things. It was really awesome to hear the bass from some of the exhausts. You can seriously feel it in your chest :P

I really don't know how this will turn out, but JDM is good shop and we know they do good work. So in the end its up to them...and of course Edelbrock. He had number 6 installed on his car there, and it looks really nice and clean.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM
06 Gt on 20s
2nd Gear Member

I just got back from jdm and he mentioned someone was there this morning about a vortech. the place was nice had a couple saleens and gt500s. I haven't decided but most likely going with the saleen supershaker.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06 Gt on 20s
I just got back from jdm and he mentioned someone was there this morning about a vortech. the place was nice had a couple saleens and gt500s. I haven't decided but most likely going with the saleen supershaker.
LOL - when did you go? That was me - I was asking a few questions, plus he showed me a few dynos. Very nice guy and overall a nice place. The yellow saleen was his, it has a cage and everything :P I left there like around 2:30 or so.

I was going with the supershaker, however I didn't want to take any "risks" since they were out of business. However for the price, it wasn't that bad I have to admit. Either way its a TS with plenty of breathing room

EDIT: Wait, were you the guy that bought the steeda? If so, you saw me and I said hi to you :P I remembered someone took that flyer about you were like - "I might be getting this" or something like that.

Last edited by Smooth_J; 03-28-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: SC install price