Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Dual Stripe paint poll
as the KR hood is done from shelby
27.78%
paint stripes all the way down the hood
72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Painting the Stripes on Trufiber Venom hood...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

id go all the way through the nose if i were you. without the letters it would look like something is missing imo...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
TheNJDevil
1st Gear Member

Just saw a Lime Green Roush conversion in Woodland Hills today and this person did double black stripes all the way through except for the back panel and bumper. very impressive with the Eleanor hood but it just looks like it's not done and that's exactly what it'll look like if the very front nose isn't done. See below a pic I got from Kevin casey of the SS stripe going all the way through.

However if you're going to do the "Shelby" lettering on the very front with stripes, then you will be taking emphasis away from the lettering and what you'll have is lettering on top of stripes and it's going to look quite busy. I recognize that that is a matter of taste and some are looking for more cleaner looks and some like lots of stuff and flash.

IMO, it's either stripes or lettering, not both, it's messy and that's why you only see lettering on the Shelbys.

I'm doing something very similar with my own Vista Blue. Different but close and I'd love to see how yours turns out. Mine is stock right now (all I got are sequentials) but that'll completely change next month when everything finally starts coming in. Don't worry I'm not doing white stripes but I do like clean lines, I'm even having the badges removed.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:54 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheNJDevil
Just saw a Lime Green Roush conversion in Woodland Hills today and this person did double black stripes all the way through except for the back panel and bumper. very impressive with the Eleanor hood but it just looks like it's not done and that's exactly what it'll look like if the very front nose isn't done. See below a pic I got from Kevin casey of the SS stripe going all the way through.

However if you're going to do the "Shelby" lettering on the very front with stripes, then you will be taking emphasis away from the lettering and what you'll have is lettering on top of stripes and it's going to look quite busy. I recognize that that is a matter of taste and some are looking for more cleaner looks and some like lots of stuff and flash.

IMO, it's either stripes or lettering, not both, it's messy and that's why you only see lettering on the Shelbys.

I'm doing something very similar with my own Vista Blue. Different but close and I'd love to see how yours turns out. Mine is stock right now (all I got are sequentials) but that'll completely change next month when everything finally starts coming in. Don't worry I'm not doing white stripes but I do like clean lines, I'm even having the badges removed.

Good luck with your decision.

Yeah, I was going to do the badge removal as well, but when I spoke with the painter and we pulled the 'gt's off of each side I saw the locating holes. To fix it right I'd have to paint both fenders, and at that point, possibly the doors too to make sure they matched...and at that point, I'm repainting a '06 mustang with just over 10k with of miliage on it and NO paint problems prior. Too much money for the conversion and hood to spend that extra money and paint additional panels on the car for matching purposes. I had to draw the line and that was the breakover. Now....if someone ever hits the side of the car all bets are off.

At this point I'd have to say I am now leaning towards painting the stripes the entire way...but I'm still debating it a bit more in my head. Azalloy's car comes to mind when I consider not doing it down the whole hood with this conversion and dual stripes. Between his, camerons, and cutters (prolly my three favorite cars on this site), each did it slightly different. Az has the dual to the intakes and then the lettering, cameron hasnt done any stripes (as of yet), and cutters has the superstripe. All look awesome in their own right and are not making this any easier. :P

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys. I have a thick skull, but eventually good ideas do get through.

Andretti
Old 03-27-2009, 08:05 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

All the way! Just make sure they leave your "vent screens" black in the nose holes.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:14 AM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

You could put mustang letters in place of the shelby, but it would look better without any at all.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:48 AM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

think i need to get some flat black stripes painted on already too after looking at those pics! i say stripes, no letters
Old 03-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Well, after sleeping on it and thinking about it again this morning, this is what I've come up with. I am going to go ahead for now and stick with NOT adding the stripes on the nose and keep the stripes like the KR comes. I really appreciate the comments about why I should do it the other way, but honestly the reason I decided to stay with it this way was flexibility. If I dont add the stripes on the nose, but at a later date after having the car back in my posession for a few months, I can still go back and have them added without a huge cost to me. All that would be needed would be to clean the hood completely, tape the additional stripes on, paint and then clearcoat. Now I realize this wont be for free, but if I went ahead and added the stripes on the nose and then later decided I didnt like it....I'd either have to just live with it or face an entire hood repaint to remove the additional stripes on the nose. I'm thinking thats a difference of maybe $500-$800 worth of work (adding two little stripes on the tip of a hood verses an entire hood repaint).

So...with that in mind I'm going to live with it not having the stripe on the nose and see how I like it over the next few months. When fall is upon us and I'm looking into getting it ready for storage again, I'll re-evaluate if I'm happy with the look or if I need to add the rest of the stripe.

Thanks again for the comments/suggestions. I cant say I disagree with any of them and actually agree with darn near all of them. It indeed might end up looking funny without the stripe going the entire way, but this way I can keep the option to change it open while still keeping the potential cost of the change down. Time will tell what I end up doing. I'm sure there will be some pics showing the car finished in the next week or so, so keep a look out for a post.

Thanks again guys for the insight.

Andretti

Last edited by Andretti; 03-27-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:47 PM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

it'll look good either way imo good call and way to think ahead
Old 03-27-2009, 01:21 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

Hi Andretti what a great position to be in! Where did you get the hood btw and how much did they charge for it shipped? I have been considering the same thing for my car which is black with silver stripes painted within the washer nozzles on the stock shelby hood. I looked at '68 Shelby's for inspiration on how to paint the Venom hood and it seems that most Vintage cars had the stripes go all the way and they had the letters over the stripes as well. Good luck
Old 03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnake
Hi Andretti what a great position to be in! Where did you get the hood btw and how much did they charge for it shipped? I have been considering the same thing for my car which is black with silver stripes painted within the washer nozzles on the stock shelby hood. I looked at '68 Shelby's for inspiration on how to paint the Venom hood and it seems that most Vintage cars had the stripes go all the way and they had the letters over the stripes as well. Good luck
I actually purchased the hood through a guy I met on another mustang site. He was one of a few mustang owners who volunteered to send TruFiber their stock hoods to be used to help develop the Venom hood. I happened to be the one guy who asked him if he was considering selling it at just the right time. Evidently he had been thinking about it and he was within 'decent' driving distance to remove any need for him to deal with shipping it through another carrier. When I said that I would be willing to drive over to pick it up personally, that may have been when he decided to sell it after all. So...there was NO shipping on my end and that was part of my concern. Up to that point there had been alot of guys receiving their hoods that were severely damaged, so the opportunity to get one that I absolutely KNEW was in good shape was a very big factor for me.

If you are in the market for the same hood, just call KC (a guy who has sold numerous GT500 front ends as well as the TruFiber Venom hood to other forum members here who runs a parts department for a Ford Dealership in Cal) cause he can get them and evidently has had EXCELLENT luck in getting them to forum members homes in great shape with no damage. I actually will be ordering some small parts from him here in a few minutes since I forgot to get a windshield spray washer kit (to put the sprayers on the actual wiper arms) so I dont have to drill holes in my hood to get the sprayers to function. If you need it, his number is 800-570-5554 (ask for KC).

Thanks for the info about the older shelby's. Interesting, sounds like I need to do more research, so thanks for mentioning that. I'll likely spend alot of time this summer really looking hard at the car trying to determine if I'm 100% happy with the stripe set up or not so I can change anything I'm not happy with this fall if necessary.

Andretti

Quick Reply: Painting the Stripes on Trufiber Venom hood...need advice