Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Help - Trufiber Venom

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Arrow Hood Help - Trufiber Venom

Hi All

Need a little help please as I have been trawling the internet trying to find my answers but not really getting anywhere, need some options please.

I have been thinking about getting a new hood for my stock GT and love the KR hood so I came across the venom by Trufiber with the hood pins so I have been investigating these hoods.

I really like the GT500 front fascia kit but I really don't want to change the whole front end as I had my bumper sprayed and has stripes too plus my billet grills I added so I am happy with it right now but I just came across a ebay advert offering a venom hood that said it wouldn't work without the GT500 front fascia!

My first question is would the Venom replace a stock hood on a GT or does it need to have the front end fascia of a GT500 too? Would it look right on a GT?

Next questions, I visited a local body shop to get prices on painting a new hood and the guy I spoke to said to stay away from fiberglass hoods and go for steel! He said most of the fiberglass hoods don't fit right and it means them spending a lot more time on the installation to get it to fit right without gaps, he even showed me an F150 they had there and the hood wasn't flush with the rest of the body, it dipped down on one side a bit....didn't look good! Is this guy in the body shop right? If you own one how have you found the Venom hood, was it a clean fit first time?

Also I would like a Venom hood with the hood pin/lock, I keep reading about generation 3 hoods but doing searching I can only find Gen 2 hoods for sale, is there a big secret on where to find/buy a Gen3 Venom hood or can someone please point me in the right direction.

Thank you all for your help

Stu
Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

No, you can not put a Trufiber Vemon hood on a non-GT500 front fascia. The reason being is, "it will not close". And yes, steel is better than fiberglass but your not going to be able to get a vemon hood in steel.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

There is no 'connection' per se either. There is a guy who is one of the sponsers on this site who has been a great deal of help to alot of us here. His name is Kevin Casey and he works at a ford parts dept in California. He sells the entire GT500 front end and can get ahold of the hood from trufiber just as easily as anyone. People who have purchased the hood from him have had outstanding luck with the quality and fit of their hoods upon receving them and then getting them installed as well. That is one way, or just call Trufiber and talk to Phil directly about options for the KR style hood on your car. His number is 714-451-1444

Kevin's number is 1-800-570-5554 Just call and tell him you are interested in this hood and see what he can help you figure out. There are other hoods trufiber makes that will fit the stock GT front end as well.

As far as the fiberglass part goes...yes, quality can vary. I just picked my car up from the painter hours ago and I can tell you my freaking hood looks INCREDIBLE and I have absolutely NO regrets what so ever. I tend to think as long as you find someone willing to put in the time to get it right, you will get a hood that looks every bit as it should. The question is how much effort will it take to get it that way (and are you willing to pay him for the time involved and in some cases his fustration to get it right if the hood isnt right from the manufacturer). My own experience was the painter spent less than 5 hours on it getting it prepped, primered, painted and striped. Cervini makes fiberglass hoods and many consider those to be of excellent quality too, though some of the earlier Trufiber hoods were definately suspect. I now have reason to believe that isnt the case any more.

Hope that helps some.

Andretti

Andretti
Old 03-31-2009, 10:48 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andretti
There is no 'connection' per se either. There is a guy who is one of the sponsers on this site who has been a great deal of help to alot of us here. His name is Kevin Casey and he works at a ford parts dept in California. He sells the entire GT500 front end and can get ahold of the hood from trufiber just as easily as anyone. People who have purchased the hood from him have had outstanding luck with the quality and fit of their hoods upon receving them and then getting them installed as well. That is one way, or just call Trufiber and talk to Phil directly about options for the KR style hood on your car. His number is 714-451-1444

Kevin's number is 1-800-570-5554 Just call and tell him you are interested in this hood and see what he can help you figure out. There are other hoods trufiber makes that will fit the stock GT front end as well.

As far as the fiberglass part goes...yes, quality can vary. I just picked my car up from the painter hours ago and I can tell you my freaking hood looks INCREDIBLE and I have absolutely NO regrets what so ever. I tend to think as long as you find someone willing to put in the time to get it right, you will get a hood that looks every bit as it should. The question is how much effort will it take to get it that way (and are you willing to pay him for the time involved and in some cases his fustration to get it right if the hood isnt right from the manufacturer). My own experience was the painter spent less than 5 hours on it getting it prepped, primered, painted and striped. Cervini makes fiberglass hoods and many consider those to be of excellent quality too, though some of the earlier Trufiber hoods were definately suspect. I now have reason to believe that isnt the case any more.

Hope that helps some.

Andretti

Andretti

+10000

But just call Kevin Casy and he will take care of the whole deal. He has sent sets to England and as far as Dubai. The fit is just fine. Believe me I have worked closely with Phil at Trufiber and Im on my I dont know how many hoods
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Thank you guys, appricate all your advice.

May I ask how much the front end and hood cost you just so I have an idea?

Thank you again
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Im not sure what the going price is now. Best check with Kevin.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 AM
nmd55
3rd Gear Member

if you dont want to do the gt500 conversion, you can always go with the trufiber gts III hood. it looks similar to the kr hood but will fit a gt front.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:31 AM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

if you dont want to get a venom front fascia then why not just get a GTS hood like mine. it looks like the venom hood, but no front modifications are needed. the only diff is that my scoops start closer the the front compared to a venom hood
Old 04-01-2009, 06:30 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

+1^^

as nmd55 & red beast said, you should take look at Trufiber's website because there are other hoods to choose from that can offer you the look you are looking for witout having to change out the complete front end to make it work.....even though you can't beat the look of the GT500 front end & Trufiber Venom Hood..LOL!!
Old 04-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Thank you guys

Looks like I might get the Trufiber GTS3 hood, spoke to a guy there and he said its the nearest to the Venom that fits a GT, anyone have any of these hoods?

One more question, anyone have a front facia that looks like a GT500 facia with the extra spot/fog lights that I don't need to replace the stock headlights on, I want to reuse my billet grilles I bought top and bottom and look a little more aggressive too if possible.

Any ideas, thanks again all for your advice, been a big help, don't know what I would do without these forums!

Stu

Quick Reply: Hood Help - Trufiber Venom