Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 GT Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM
pkvir

Default 2010 GT Test Drive

While getting my first oil change in my F150, I was walking the lot looking at the new cars. I noticed the 2010 Mustangs, especailly a White GT. It had a 5 speed auto, upgraded wheels and back up camera; MSRP about $34,000.00. As a past owner of Mustangs, an 02 5.0 LX 5 speed notchback and an 04 GT, I have a spot in my heart for them. I was so tempted to ask to take a test drive, but didn't want to bother the salesman or take time away from a possible sale so I didn't.

Low and behold, the Finance Manager saw me and came out with the keys saying " Hey Paul, you want to take it for a spin". When we took off, I was very conservative with my driving. He advised me "give it some gas, punch it. I have the traction control on" He also told me he took it out and took off the TC, "no problems lighting them up"

Here are my thoughts.

Exterior:
Minor changes over the pervious model, seems a littler rounder and muscular. I realy like the upgraded wheels. Overall a good update.

Interior:
High quality materials, especailly the leather seats. It was on par with my 09 Lariat, but felt cramped. The back seats were pretty much a joke and not for adults. Everything felt tight and well put together.

Engine:
Before my 09 Lariat, I owned a 06 IS 350, so I will compare it to my old Lexus. This car is fast. My seat of the pants guess would be 0-60 in the low 5 seconds and 1/4 mile mid to high 13.'s. It felt a little quicker then the IS. What really makes the difference is the SWEET sounds the engine makes. The exhaust has a nice rumble upon start up, and just gets better the more you gun it. You can also hear the engine sucking air when giving it some gas. Again, the engine sounds terrific compared to the non sounds the Lexus made.

All in all it is a very nice update and feel it is Fords best effort in the Mustang to date.

One more thing as you probably already know. Never buy the first Mustang GT to hit the dealership. Everyone has driven the crap out of it.

Last edited by pkvir; 04-10-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

you make a great point there with the comparison to the Lexus.
While it and other foreign cars (350Z/ 370Z) offer similar performance they just don't offer the sound of the big American V8! Nor do they offer the roomy cockpit or trunk!
The price of the loaded GT's is almost $9000 more than older 2008/09's left, but I feel the improved suspension, intake, leather and available 3.73 and Track Pack is worth the extra bucks. Won't pay MSRP though, so I'll wait for a deal.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:23 PM
MollyHulk

Mine is on order and I can't wait. Thanks for the Test Drive review!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by MollyHulk
Mine is on order and I can't wait. Thanks for the Test Drive review!!!
No problem; you will not be dissapointed. If I was in the market for a 2 door (Muscle) car, the 2010 Mustang would be it. I really like the direction Ford is taking in quality. The wheels you have in the pictures are the ones on the Stang I drove; they are really nice.

Last edited by pkvir; 04-12-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 PM
MollyHulk

Originally Posted by pkvir
No problem; you will not be dissapointed. If I was in the market for a 2 door (Muscle) car, the 2010 Mustang would be it. I really like the direction Ford is taking in quality. The wheels you have in the pictures are the ones on the Stang I drove; they are really nice.
Yes, very nice wheels and what comes standard on the GT. I saw a V6 model, grabber blue like this one, next to the brand new 2009 models and the wheels look significantly bigger and nicer than the '09s.

The reviews I've heard are very promising - can't wait to drive it.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
pkvir

Originally Posted by MollyHulk
Yes, very nice wheels and what comes standard on the GT. I saw a V6 model, grabber blue like this one, next to the brand new 2009 models and the wheels look significantly bigger and nicer than the '09s.

The reviews I've heard are very promising - can't wait to drive it.
Then maybe those weren't the wheels I'm thinking about. The wheels on the one I drove were an option according to the window sticker.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pkvir
Then maybe those weren't the wheels I'm thinking about. The wheels on the one I drove were an option according to the window sticker.
They were probably the 19" rims. 18's are standard.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I just test drove a brand new 2010 Mustang GT Premium with 5-speed and leather and so on... First impressions.. WOW. I want one... Car was White exterior with red leather interior and the interior is definitely an upgrade materials wise. I love the way the whole thing flows.

I am seriously re-considering the additions of upgrades to my current 'stang and just using that money towards a new 2010. The white looks good, gold is ugly, silver is ugly dark grey looks nice, red looks awesome and Kona Blue is the bomb..... With my X-Plan I can get the car listed at $33K for just over $31K.....they had a stripped GT with cloth for invoice of $27, 244.... Not bad.

The rear of the car looks better in person and definitely looks better on some colors more than others. For those bitching about the molding along the bottom of the car being black....isn't the current GT500 black along the bottom moulding?? The (10) 2008 - 2009 GT500s my dealer had at the lot all had black on the bottom. Before you bad mouth the car i suggest spending some time in it and really look this car over. I am not crazy in love with the rear of the car..but in certain colors it looks good. I am however IN LOVE WITH THE REST OF THE CAR!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 AM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

The wheels shown in that pic on the Grabber Blue are the Option wheels according to the dealer i was at yesterday. They are 19". There is a 18" wheels that looks similar but the spokes are thicker and painted that are standard on GT
Old 04-17-2009, 04:36 PM
kinoman2002
2nd Gear Member

I got a Mustang 2010 brochure the other day from a dealer. Not the one that Ford mail but a thicker one with all the options and specs. It says, there is "interior trunk release". Does anyone knows where it is situated?

Quick Reply: 2010 GT Test Drive