Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-23-2015, 05:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang GT Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

Anybody change their coolant/antifreeze yet..????

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Darth Evader
1st Gear Member

This is an old post, but it applies to my question. The dealer wants $190 to flush, so I thought I would try this myself.

In step 8 above, they say to use a garden hose to flush out the system. I always thought that you should only use distilled water. Wouldn't it be a mistake to use garden hose and introduce tap water minerals into the system?

Also, he says to insert the garden hose into the radiator inlet and flush until it comes out of the outlet. At what point of this process does the fluid get flushed out of the engine block? In step 6 he explains how to remove the thermostat, then in 8 he tells how to flush the radiator, then in 9 he tells how reinstall the thermostat. What was the point of removing the thermostat if nothing is being flushed through the block? What am I missing?

Last edited by Darth Evader; 03-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:01 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Darth Evader
This is an old post, but it applies to my question. The dealer wants $190 to flush, so I thought I would try this myself.

In step 8 above, they say to use a garden hose to flush out the system. I always thought that you should only use distilled water. Wouldn't it be a mistake to use garden hose and introduce tap water minerals into the system?

Also, he says to insert the garden hose into the radiator inlet and flush until it comes out of the outlet. At what point of this process does the fluid get flushed out of the engine block? In step 6 he explains how to remove the thermostat, then in 8 he tells how to flush the radiator, then in 9 he tells how reinstall the thermostat. What was the point of removing the thermostat if nothing is being flushed through the block? What am I missing?
I also don't understand the removing the T-stat.. But one question I can answer for you.. The Dealer is using a garden hose to "flush out" your system... (Why I know this info is I seen the Dealer doing a "flush" using you guessed it.. a water hose)
So IMO that is bad as you and I both know that distilled water is the way to go...

why I am going to replace mine myself...
I hope you see this and it will maybe clear up some questions...
Old 11-05-2011, 03:47 PM
bloodybobber

Default Horse has trouble peeing!

Well I just attempted to change the coolant in my '08 GT. Loosened the petcock and only got 1 gallon out. I removed one heater hose at the back of the engine and only got 1 more gallon out even with some air pressure. So I looked for the thermastat housing to let some air in to the top of the engine so it will completly drain. 2 8mm bolts but one can only be reached by removing the alternator! My time was up so I refilled with 50-50 and cleaned up. My plan is to cut and weld a wrench in an offset "c" shape similar to the old distributor wrenches to access the thermastat housing without alternator removal. Anyone with thoughts on getting all 4 gallons out?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I will let the dealership do this as I will go in once every 6 years. So far 3 summers and 2400 miles
Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 AM
bloodybobber

Default Horse has trouble peeing!

Fruther reading found that it holds 13.6 QT and Ford admites in tech manual that only 80% of coolant can be removed engine in car. So for my effort I am gonna be happy with a 60% change. I have a nephew that works at a Ford dealer and he says all they do is drain the radiator flush it out with a hose, they don't even take the time to open heater hose, and fill it back up with 50-50 which is from my experience yesterday is a 30% coolant change. Also learned '05 & '06 have a different thermastat arangement. Removal of thermastst allows flush and drain of system with out a hot cycle of thermastat to circulate water

Last edited by bloodybobber; 11-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:42 PM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

So over the weekend noticed my coolant was slightly below the cold fill line, so added a bit of prestone mixed with filtered tap water, not really thinking it through. I think I'd be fine since I didn't just flush and completely fill with tap water/coolant as compared to distilled, instead just topped off with a tiny bit, right?

Like I shouldn't worry about running out and completely flushing my system anytime soon because of this?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 AM
bloodybobber

I would think you are fine
Old 11-08-2011, 01:16 AM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fosman77
With my cars I drain the radiator at 20000 and refill with 50 50 mix coolant and distilled water, then I do this every other oil change which would be10000 miles, It may be overkill but it does not cost much and keeps it fresh. I did this with my 1992 T-Bird and went 206000 miles before I sold it and never had any radiator problems.
That's a pretty good idea...!!!! I think I am going to change mine when it turns into summer this coming year and then maybe every summer after that... I still have less then 7,000 miles on mine.. yes she is a garage car but when I take her out people ask me if it is new or did I just have her re-painted... lol
Old 11-16-2011, 11:18 AM
dcford

Had similar concerns over the cooling system capacity when I drained my system over the weekend. Here is what I found on my 2005 GT:

* ~ 1 gallon from radiator & degas tank
* ~ 0.5 gallon from left engine block plug (Allen plug)
* ~ 0.5 gallon from thermostat & associated hoses

The 4.6L has Allen plugs on both sides of the block to drain the water jackets however the right side is "blocked" by the right front motor mount. In spite of having a two-post lift to do this work I could not access this plug with any form of a 5/16" Allen wrench. (Thank you Ford!)

The good news was the factory-fill coolant was clean & no rust after almost 6 years. Replaced the coolant with new 50/50 yellow antifreeze from the local dealer. Main concern is keeping good corrosion protection to all of the aluminum surfaces.

BTW, the replacement thermostat from Carquest has a bleeder valve & is made in the USA.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The thermostat needs to be removed in order to let the coolant flow freely through the coolant system. Otherwise the coolant system is blocked by a closed thermostat.

Oldschool method of simply draining, running a water hose and refilling will get most of the old stuff out if done correctly but you will not be able to remove all of plain water that remains in the system so refilling with a 50/50 mix will not result in a 50/50 mix.

Most dealers worth their salt have machines that push out the coolant and replace it with new coolant at the same time.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/...ines-s/439.htm More expensive units will actually tell you when the coolant coming out is clean (meaning you've flushed 95% or more of the old stuff out). That's the only way to get closer to a 50/50 mix

Quick Reply: Anybody change their coolant/antifreeze yet..????