Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear mounted vs. Underhood

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear mounted vs. Underhood

Hello all,

I've been wanting to "boost" my car for quite sometime. I have finally come to the conclusion that I want to go turbo. Now I have 2 options. Either an under hood kit or a rear mounted one. If I did the under hood I have 2 other options: either do a kit or have a local shop create a custom turbo set up. I'm really stuck on whether to go with an STS rear mounted single turbo or an original under hood kit. One of the main things I'm worried about with the rear mounted kit is the fact that I live in Florida and it does rain quite a lot. I would hate for that turbo to suck water in. Also if I was to go to the track, while I'm performing my burnout I'm sure that rubber and other things that I don't want would be going into the filter which is mounted right where my mufflers are now (directly behind the rear passenger wheel). I'd like to have everyone's opinion on this.

I have a 2008 Mustang GT if that helps.

Thanks,
yc420
Old 04-12-2009, 04:54 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Rear mounted will keep the engine bay and the turbo cooler. If doing rear mount go for twins......JMO
Old 04-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Rskapof
2nd Gear Member

if going to the drag strip a rear mount would be less than ideal. Though the air is much cooler going into the engine (because it has so much time to cool on its way to the engine with plenty of fresh air) the turbo lag is much greater than on an under the hood set up. A FMIC with an under the hood turbo is what i would go with. The response is a lot quicker.

If you do not plan on making a huge amount of power i would stick with a turn key package super charger. a turbo would be a fantastic amount of power while still being efficient, good for road courses and street.

Plus, i love turbos because they sound so sweet.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
blackcrow

I've read various articles and there is no lag with the rear mounted turbos, its about the turbo sizing for the application causing the lag not the location... How are you going to use the car? weekender... dd... if you are going to spend a lot of time in traffic, underhood temps (underhood mounted) could be an issue in Florida... a correctly sized turbo should be wound up by 2500~2800 rpm with lots of rod breaking torque if you get to happy with boost... also consider the plumbing and complexity... as far as a power adder, there is nothing like turbos, and Rskapof is correct, these is no sweeeeter sound...

do your homework, its your call and enjoy!
Old 04-12-2009, 05:40 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

The car is a daily driver. I will take it to the track maybe every 2-3 weeks. It's too fun to resist I love turbos. They've become so efficient and they get their power from waste air that's leaving the exhaust. They put very little strain on the motor unlike a supercharger that has to be run by a belt. I honestly think that if supercharging your mustang wasn't a heritage then the majority of the people would be going turbo. Not only is all of this true about a turbo but it's also cheaper than a supercharger and that's one of the key reasons why I'm going turbo. That decision is pretty much final. I'll listen to what people have to say about their superchargers but for the most part I'm pretty sure I'm going with a turbo. With an intercooler I don't think that the under hood system could get THAT hot could it? I see plenty of people with Helion kits etc. etc. and they don't seem to have problems.

The rear mounted twins are a little high on the price, plus a single is more than enough for me. Also, the only thing I'm worried about when it comes to the STS kit is the fact of it's location. Dirt and water seem to be able to access the filter and turbo almost too easily. I talked to my local shop and the owner said that when the STS kit first came out a lot of people were having problems with the turbo sucking in water and then blowing their engines. He told me that since then STS has redesigned their kits with shields and what not I believe and that he has not heard of another STS kit sucking up water after that. I believe him it's just that I'm afraid of that location. I do however love the sleeper look it would have. I'd pop the hood and the only thing people would see is a silver piping going down under the car.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
blackcrow

...cool, its sounds like you have your mind made up already, great! go for it, turbos are not cheaper by any means... more efficient, yes. it also sounds like you don't wrench at all, so the plumbing won't mater, just take good care of your tech, be careful with the hellion and lowered cars... clearance issues speed bumps, poth holes... and finally, underhood temps got nothing to do with the intercooler, its got to do with the hot tubing going to the turbo melting stuff away if not properly installed, not AIT's... have funn!!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

If it were mine I would go underhood and wrap everything I could with header wrap. Too much piping back and forth with a rear mount system. This is what I would go with ...

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=50
Old 04-12-2009, 07:55 PM
yc420
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackcrow
...cool, its sounds like you have your mind made up already, great! go for it, turbos are not cheaper by any means... more efficient, yes. it also sounds like you don't wrench at all, so the plumbing won't mater, just take good care of your tech, be careful with the hellion and lowered cars... clearance issues speed bumps, poth holes... and finally, underhood temps got nothing to do with the intercooler, its got to do with the hot tubing going to the turbo melting stuff away if not properly installed, not AIT's... have funn!!!!
Well as far the research I've done, turbos have been much cheaper. I've compared them to a Whipple and either the new roush or saleen supercharger. This is according to the quotes my local shop gave me. Under hood turbo systems are still out now and I really don't think that there have been problems with the temperatures under the hood being TOO hot. I'd like it if someone with an under hood turbo kit could chime in.

Originally Posted by Local Yokel
If it were mine I would go underhood and wrap everything I could with header wrap. Too much piping back and forth with a rear mount system. This is what I would go with ...

http://powerhouse411.com/catalog/ind...products_id=50
Nice find. However, I'd probably go with either a custom kit that the local shop would create or have them buy a kit that's been created for our cars like Hellion, Turbonetics, etc. etc.

Oh and btw, the local shop is Revolution Performance. I don't know if any of you have heard of them..
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
whitealexander
1st Gear Member

i also agree that rear mount would be a good idea..
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Where in FL are you at?

I have a friend with an LS1 GTO that has a rear mounted STS. I've never heard him have any troubles with rain here in FL. The only thing I hear him complain about is traction.

Quick Reply: Rear mounted vs. Underhood