Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005 - 2014 Mustangs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

2005 - 2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by Latemodel Restoration

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 GT
Josh Baker JoshuaDBaker xxPanduh

Invest in a Haynes manual...It'll help you out more than you'd think
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium Triple Yellow - Ordered
2006 Ford Mustang GT Premium Screaming Yellow - 1st Car/Soon to be Retired Daily Driver/April '12 ROTM
2003 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Dark Shadow Gray - Gone
2004 Ford Mustang GT Premium Oxford White - Gone
bakerjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 2006 Turbo V6; 2005 V6->V8 swap beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepegs View Post
Look, I have a 2006 Mustang GT ALL stock. My alternator crapped out on me yesterday, and I'm going to replace it myself. Problem is that when i put it in my shopping cart on paperformance.com, it requires me to check a bubble that says 6-groove serpentine or clutch pulley. What the heck do I choose? The clutch pulley adds $40 or so... the 6-groove serp is at no additional cost.

I'm leaning towards free, but don't want to screw up my order. any words of wisdom out there?
You have a 6-rib clutch pulley on the stock alternator. It's there to prevent belt chirp during shifts on some cars. You don't have to have it; if you look at all of us who've 'upgraded' their alternators, very few are using the clutch.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
McDirty
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 Mustang GT

I second that as one of the easiest repairs. My wife needed a new one when she was driving a 99 gt years ago. Her father would have done it but was recovering from a hernia operation at the time. With his direction she was able to do it. She must have done a good job since it never gave her problems again. She can do this but claims to be unable to change a tire or wiper blades.
McDirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Whoa, randomly checked out the forum and see one of my threads from forever ago resurrected!

Well I will tell you the cheapest place to get an alternator. eBay. I managed to pick one up for $50 on there and it had a 1 year warranty. Still hasn't crapped out. The price may vary though... I was lucky to find mine at that price.

Here is one for $104.87 shipped (there was a cheaper used one but would not recommend a used alternator unless it had the warranty like mine):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-GT-2...item53e65a223c

12.647 @ 110.1 MPH w/ 1.993 60' - Mods: (Novi 2200, FRPP 3v Intake Manifold, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Mid
Muffler System, Spohn LCA's, 18" Contintenal ExtremeContact DWS All Seasons)

13.082 @ 105.05 MPH w/ 1.969 60' on Stock P-Zero All Season 17s (CAI, Full Exhaust, only)

Show: 18" Black Saleen Replicas, Trufiber GTS III Hood, California Special Front Bumper

Last edited by gburke1; 01-10-2012 at 05:10 AM.
gburke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
orangepegs

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Default high amp?

I found a 240 amp alternator with a year warranty on ebay, but does it benefit me to have the extra amps? My mustang gt is all stock with the shaker 500. Only aftermarket stuff are the valve caps on my tires, and I don't think that warrants additional amps... does it hurt me to have the extra amps?
orangepegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #16
gburke1
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangepegs View Post
I found a 240 amp alternator with a year warranty on ebay, but does it benefit me to have the extra amps? My mustang gt is all stock with the shaker 500. Only aftermarket stuff are the valve caps on my tires, and I don't think that warrants additional amps... does it hurt me to have the extra amps?
Not sure to be honest

12.647 @ 110.1 MPH w/ 1.993 60' - Mods: (Novi 2200, FRPP 3v Intake Manifold, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Catted X-Pipe, Pypes Mid
Muffler System, Spohn LCA's, 18" Contintenal ExtremeContact DWS All Seasons)

13.082 @ 105.05 MPH w/ 1.969 60' on Stock P-Zero All Season 17s (CAI, Full Exhaust, only)

Show: 18" Black Saleen Replicas, Trufiber GTS III Hood, California Special Front Bumper
gburke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #17
Curls&Horses

Vehicle: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
beautifulcurlsz

Hey guys, first time poster. Last night, while I was driving the car wanted to practically shut off and my radio/lights/fogs shut completely off. Was able to get it home, and tried jumping it, and as soon as I let it run for a good 30 mins and shut the car off, it wouldn't turn back on. Gonna buy a new battery today-I know I should get a batt that gives 500-600 cold cranking power, but my local auto store has one that gives off 650, that'll be fine right? Keep in mind, I have a stock '06 convert GT. Thanks =]
Curls&Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
06, 07, 2005, 2006, 2007, altenator, alternator, change, ford, gt, install, mistang, mustang, remove, steps